PDA

View Full Version : A tincture of benzoin

Tetrian
10-16-2007, 16:05
Not quite sure you can call this stuff "gear", so figured the best place was the medical part of the forum, i hope someone can help me out.

Alot of threads on this forum mentions a "a tincture of benzoin" in relation to rucking and foot care, as im finding myself picking up the rucksack more and more lately I figure its time to add it to my blisterkit - So the question is, does anyone know of a good brand/supplier that can send it overseas(europe).

It might seem like a bit of a dumb question, but i tried my google-fu on it, and there seems to be alot of different brands out there, ranging from large aerosol cans, to more manageable "drippers" - What's the docs' favorite brand? ;)

Thanks in advance,
-Tetrian

Surgicalcric
10-16-2007, 18:00
PDI swabsticks is what I use and prefer.

As for who will ship to Europe, I have no idea.

Crip

The Reaper
10-16-2007, 19:04
Not quite sure you can call this stuff "gear", so figured the best place was the medical part of the forum, i hope someone can help me out.

Alot of threads on this forum mentions a "a tincture of benzoin" in relation to rucking and foot care, as im finding myself picking up the rucksack more and more lately I figure its time to add it to my blisterkit - So the question is, does anyone know of a good brand/supplier that can send it overseas(europe).

It might seem like a bit of a dumb question, but i tried my google-fu on it, and there seems to be alot of different brands out there, ranging from large aerosol cans, to more manageable "drippers" - What's the docs' favorite brand? ;)

Thanks in advance,
-Tetrian

Most people do not use it for that anymore.

TR

Tetrian
10-19-2007, 19:51
Thanks for the answers guys.

The Reaper,
Im a bit curious to the reason as the product is a big unknown to me(benzoin is not something i have ever heard of in denmark).

Is there a generic replacement such as the PDI swapsticks surgicalcric mentioned or are people just using various other desinfecting solutions and tape due to them being more available today or whats the reason ?

Surgicalcric,
Thanks, i didnt even know those existed(actually thought swabsticks=babywipes/alcohol tissues at first) - I noticed they come with lemon, iodine and some others. I assume i would want the alchohol ones? :)

Thanks

Tetrian
10-19-2007, 20:03
Sorry, double post.

The Reaper
10-21-2007, 08:39
Thanks for the answers guys.

The Reaper,
Im a bit curious to the reason as the product is a big unknown to me(benzoin is not something i have ever heard of in denmark).

Is there a generic replacement such as the PDI swapsticks surgicalcric mentioned or are people just using various other desinfecting solutions and tape due to them being more available today or whats the reason ?

Surgicalcric,
Thanks, i didnt even know those existed(actually thought swabsticks=babywipes/alcohol tissues at first) - I noticed they come with lemon, iodine and some others. I assume i would want the alchohol ones? :)

Thanks

AFAIK, it is fine for swabsticks and external applications.

I was referring to no longer injecting it.

TR

Surgicalcric
10-21-2007, 09:17
...I noticed they come with lemon, iodine and some others. I assume i would want the alchohol ones? :)

Thanks

No, you want the Tincture of Benzoin ones.

Crip

Tetrian
10-21-2007, 11:26
Oh, misunderstood that one Surgicalcric - Thank you again :D

The reaper,
I feel like im asking an endless range of questions here, but any chance you could fill me in on the reason behind the injections not being used anymore? :munchin

-Tetrian

The Reaper
10-21-2007, 11:29
Oh, misunderstood that one Surgicalcric - Thank you again :D

The reaper,
I feel like im asking an endless range of questions here, but any chance you could fill me in on the reason behind the injections not being used anymore? :munchin

-Tetrian

Why do we not use leeches any more?

TR

crash
10-21-2007, 17:20

TR

Leeches on blisters? Never heard that one before..

They still do some amazing things with leeches now a days.

Surgicalcric
10-21-2007, 18:42
Leeches on blisters? Never heard that one before..

We dont use leeches on blisters. You missed TR's reference.

What TR was trying to get across is the fact that leeches were at one time a "cure all," just as injecting Benzoin was a cure all for blisters. Do Benzoin injections work, yes. Is it the best thing for the patient, sometimes but more often than not its the best thing for the mission. In either case they (leeches and Benzoin) are still options, but not the first choice for most.

Hope that clears it up a bit...

Crip

crash
10-21-2007, 21:31
We dont use leeches on blisters. You missed TR's reference.

What TR was trying to get across is the fact that leeches were at one time a "cure all," just as injecting Benzoin was a cure all for blisters. Do Benzoin injections work, yes. Is it the best thing for the patient, sometimes but more often than not its the best thing for the mission. In either case they (leeches and Benzoin) are still options, but not the first choice for most.

Hope that clears it up a bit...

Crip

haha, I kinda thought thats what he meant, long slow day at work. Yay, for me being clueless...:o:rolleyes:
Leeches sure aren't a cure all but they are still used. Seen them used on finger amputations once its sewn back on, to help the blood flow again and to remove the 'bad' blood. Pretty cool

My favorite is maggots for de-breading wounds..

Tetrian
10-23-2007, 01:01
Not sure i would refer to having maggots inserted into my wounds as a favorite, Crash ;)

Team Sergeant and Surgicalcric, Thank you both for the clarifications very much appreciated.

-Tetrian

crash
10-23-2007, 05:18
Not sure i would refer to having maggots inserted into my wounds as a favorite, Crash ;)

-Tetrian

Highly trained maggots? They bread them to only eat the non-viable tissue. Pretty cool actually, they munch right down to the live tissue.

Bill Harsey
10-23-2007, 07:48

TR

Mumblypeg, any thoughts here?

mumbleypeg
10-23-2007, 16:09
Leeches?Maggots...? Those are some bad blisters. I recommend reevaluating the footwear.

I think some smart wool socks and moleskin, applied before the infections set in would eliminate the need to debride necrotic flesh. If you are using Leeches on your feet things have gone very wrong.

I'm going to have to check the files. I recall leeches being used on a transplant, toe to thumb, but feet.....other than burns.......I will have to check.

I digress:
REI carries tincture of Benzoin.

http://www.rei.com/product/752451

crash
10-23-2007, 20:10
Leeches?Maggots...? Those are some bad blisters. I recommend reevaluating the footwear.

I think some smart wool socks and moleskin, applied before the infections set in would eliminate the need to debride necrotic flesh. If you are using Leeches on your feet things have gone very wrong.

I'm going to have to check the files. I recall leeches being used on a transplant, toe to thumb, but feet.....other than burns.......I will have to check.

I digress:
REI carries tincture of Benzoin.

http://www.rei.com/product/752451

lol, I didn't mean to imply using either leeches or maggots on ones feet; simply meant that leeches are still useful; especially in what you mentioned, finger and toe transplants. Simply mentioned the maggots because its another amazing thing that some might find gross.

Sure hope no ones feet are that bad, then again I've seen some pretty bad feet and he though it was normal;
"my feet always looked like that" he says...:rolleyes::confused:

Razor
10-23-2007, 21:07
To temporarily get back on topic, tincture of benzoin (a fluid adhesive) used to be a blister remedy in that one would use a hypodermic needle to drain the fluid from the blister, then inject the now deflated blister with tincture of benzoin in an effort to re-adhere the skin of the blister to the foot to allow one to continue walking on the blister without further injury. To get an idea of how this felt, use some 60 grit sandpaper to take the epidermis off a knuckle on your hand, then submerse it in a cup of alcohol and leave it there for a few minutes or so.

While the "treatment" allowed one to continue on with the mission, it was very painful for a time, the tincture "killed" the new skin cells under the blister, hampering healing, and it arguably increased the chance for infection. Some may still like the procedure, but being the big wimp that I am, I prefer the "drain-moleskin donut-cover-drive on" approach.

crash
10-24-2007, 02:39
Infection is also common in this method; from what I've seen usually from failure to even attempt to clean the site; or from using un-sterile needle or other sharp implement.

If time permits and the blister is not to deep, Removing the blistered skin, and only the blistered skin and allowing the site to be exposed to air over night to dry has worked many a time for me. Depending on how deep the blister was is how tender it will be, usually dries and toughens up over night and then not quite good as new but good to go. I usually cover the whole thing with moleskin, other than a little tenderness no more blister. (this is what has worked for me)

Also I've used Derma bond on blisters where the skin was already broken and raw, trimmed the skin back dried it, clean and applied a thin layer of Derma bond and it was good as new, although it didn't feel very good.

Wonder if Derma bond might work better than Benzoin? Hurt a little less? Anyone tried this?

Have never actually tried the needle and string method, think I'll try that method see how it works on my next good blister..

linedoc
10-29-2007, 01:40
I have also used dermabond in place of bezoin tincture on a open blister. I usually check the depth of the blister, trim the "flap" away, clean, dry and apply. The bezoin hurts like hell but goes away quickly. I have noticed that due to the irritation that callus forms quite quickly in the area and recurring blisters are kept to a minimum. I also use ToB to help moleskin and duct tape to stick to hot spots and or deep blisters where I apply the donut and tape as a combo. As far as the dermabond being better, it does dry faster with less of a "sticky" attitude, it was less painful as well. I typically stick with ToB however, maybe as a motivator to take care of your feet ;)

eggroll
02-14-2008, 11:24
unless I missed it, my only use for ToB was a means to enhance tackiness of tape adhesion to skin, especialy moleskin/moletape application

The Reaper
02-14-2008, 11:31
unless I missed it, my only use for ToB was a means to enhance tackiness of tape adhesion to skin, especialy moleskin/moletape application

No, some sadistic medics would actually perform the ritual Razor describes above.

I had it done once. Anyone who gets a second treatment should have their security clearance checked as they must be deviants.

It did get me back on my feet and moving though.

TR

Rumblyguts
02-14-2008, 14:05
How big of a blister was this normally used for?

SF_BHT
02-14-2008, 15:11
No matter how tough your feet were and how good your boots/socks/powder you still might have a big one.

When you have a blow out you have to patch the tire to get to the house and that is why we shot ToB into the blister. It would hurt like hell but you could then drive on and finish the mission. You some time have to do what you have to do to get the job done.
:cool:

The Reaper
02-14-2008, 15:26
No matter how tough your feet were and how good your boots/socks/powder you still might have a big one.

When you have a blow out you have to patch the tire to get to the house and that is why we shot ToB into the blister. It would hurt like hell but you could then drive on and finish the mission. You some time have to do what you have to do to get the job done.
:cool:

Good analogy.

Fix-a-flat!

TR

SF_BHT
02-14-2008, 15:29
Good analogy.

Fix-a-flat!

TR

Us old guys have to keep it simple so we understand.:lifter

sofmed
02-17-2008, 14:55
How big of a blister was this normally used for?

Maybe this will give you some idea of what we're talking about. No ToB used here though.

I pulled these out of 'mothballs' from my days running SOPC's aid station. :eek:

The brown looking stuff around the blister in onset tx is from the povidone swabs we used to prep the site. Had to excise a good deal of necrotic tissue then perform a debridement. The young guy was a trooper during, as Danny didn't apply any local.

Kirb received an open shoe profile for a couple days, wash with warm soapy water, air dry, light application of anti-biotic cream and telfa bandage for wear of sneakers to di-fac. Healed up quite well.

Mick

Red Flag 1
02-18-2008, 20:01
I first became aware of Benzion as "tuff skin". In highschool football we would paint our feet with Benzoin then stomp around in a powder box before we put on our socks and cleats. This was done to prevent blisters, not treat them. I never had a blister and I can't recall blisters being much of a problem for our team. This was in the early 60's...cleats did not fit all that well and I would have to peel my socks off after practice and games. It did work! Today I would opt for better fitting footwear...there are so many options out there today.

I have used Tincture of Benzoin in my practice to help secure dressings for some of the lines we would place for surgery. Things such as arterial lines...some neck lines and catheters that had to remain in place for a few days. The benzoin was swabbed on then adhesive tape applied as the benzion would begin to tack a bit. It really did work well...rough on the skin when the tape was removed.

RF 1

lksteve
02-18-2008, 20:11
I had it done once. Anyone who gets a second treatment should have their security clearance checked as they must be deviants.I resemble that...it was all the rage during the Uwharrie Trek stage of SFQC evolution...it was not necessarily voluntary...I had two blisters during Phase I...one on each foot...and each got the treatment at SFC B's clinic...

It did get me back on my feet and moving though.Yeah...it got me moving and convinced me thatI would never have blisters again...and until last month, I haven't had a blister since...and if SFC B is within earshot, I didn't have a blister last month, either...

SilkRider32
02-19-2008, 12:24
In the day I used the Tincture of Benzoin as a "tuff skin" also, applied it to the usual "hot spots" on my heels as well as moleskin. The moleskin and ToB gave protection until the "tenderfoot" condition went away.

abc_123
02-23-2008, 07:48
In the day I used the Tincture of Benzoin as a "tuff skin" also, applied it to the usual "hot spots" on my heels as well as moleskin. The moleskin and ToB gave protection until the "tenderfoot" condition went away.

I did the same for months prior to selection. 2x day (first thing in the a.m. and then in the evening before bed) painted that stuff on my entire foot. Not sure what the medical basis for that was other than I heard it would help dry out my skin and also the little bits of dirt/dust that ended up sticking to my feet would just get added to the mix and help make my feet more resistant to blisters.

Now, I also followed all the boot fitting and breaking in guidelines and took care of my feet better than I did the fiancee I had at the time.....I positively doted on those puppies and did all the walking/hot spot treatment etc. 'by the book'. My feet were tough as a board and other than a hot spot or two that were easily taken care of, I never had any foot problems at selection.

The ToB may have helped (or may not), but if I had to pick one, it woudl be to get some properly fitting boots, put on a ruck, and start walking. Do it right and your feet will be GTG.

Red Flag 1
02-23-2008, 15:54
I've done no formal research on this but what I think happens is:....my foot is made up of bones, muscle, tendons, fatty tissue, ligaments, and skin....I've done what I can from the skin thru the inside...my skin pays the price for all on the outside ( the awful fitting football spikes )....Benzoin has huge molecules that fix to the skin and fill in the divoits in the skin folds...as the benzoin dried we stomped in a box of Zinc Oxide powder...the Zinc Oxide powder filled the smaller spots and provided a bit of powder lubricant.

Benzoin is " Tinctuire Of Benzoin " carried in an alcohol solution. So if you had the joy of Tincture of Benzion injected into a blister, you had the same result as having sticky brandy injected into the blister's inside. Next time, drink the brandy...saving a bit for inside of the blister.

RF 1