PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recent SFAS and SFQC graduates

Sign me up
10-09-2007, 21:19
I have been searching the forums for a list of names of recent graduates that I can contact (private message, email, or phone conversation). Rather than sending out several messages, I thought it would be best to create a new thread and let anyone who wants to help me, do so. I want to join Special Forces more than anything in the world, and need to ask a few questions to those who have BTDT.

Please note this is a more personal set of questions, rather than the typical "search and read". I have fully researched this board and feel confident in my knowledge of terms, the 18x pipeline, etc. The purpose of this thread is to get one-on-one correspondence with an individual who can help me with my journey.

For reference: I picked up a copy of "Get Selected for Special Forces" and am in the process of reading it. It's a great read, and I hope to discuss a few things with members on this forum. So far, I haven't been able to put it down.

Thank you for your time,

-Sign me up

Surgicalcric
10-09-2007, 22:20
...I want to join Special Forces more than anything in the world, and need to ask a few questions to those who have BTDT.

Please note this is a more personal set of questions, rather than the typical "search and read"...

I am curious about what type of "personal" questions you might have that your enlistment hinges on them?

There are quite a few of us here on the board who are "recent" graduates but the number who will have pertinent advice for you may be determined by the subject of which you are requiring info. How about narrowing it down a bit.

Better not be any touchy-feely questions about family or spouses/girlfriends... ;)

Welcome to PS.

Crip

Sign me up
10-09-2007, 23:29
Well now that you mention it, the reason I want to join SF is because my girlfriend dumped me and I love all the "Splinter Cell" video games where he's all Delta-Force and kills the bad guys. I wanna be that guy.

(**I love to joke around a little... I hope it's not a bad thing to have a sense of humor in SF :))

Basically I'm not looking for info. I can search for that on my own time. My intent is to better my chances for success by talking about some experiences candidates have had.... you know, get to know them and how they "made it". I want to succeed so bad and will talk to anyone and everyone about anything and everything.

Here's one example of a question I might ask (specifically for 18x'ers): Prior to even thinking about setting foot in SFAS, every 18x candidate must complete Infantry Basic/AIT, Airborne, and SOPC I, which takes nearly half a year.

SFAS will be the most challenging experience of my life, and I want to be fully prepared physically before arrival. My original plan was to take the 5 - week workout program (listed on this site) and do it several times, while increasing weight, increasing distance, and decreasing time. This could add up to several months of need be.

However, upon reading that I have nearly half a year of basic training before I can even apply everything I've worked for, would so much training be overkill? Should I just do the 5-week program, start basic, and push myself harder for the next 6 months leading up to SFAS?

I'd ask that person to tell me what his training regime was prior to Basic, how confident he felt in his physical abilities, how much time he could allot to training while in Basic/Airborne/etc., and whether or not he would do it differently next time.

**This is a pretty basic one. I have some other questions about peer evaluations and other things.
Very hard to explain on a thread without going into too much detail.

Crip: I'll be sending you a pm soon. Just give me a moment to type it up :)

-SMU

The Reaper
10-10-2007, 05:20
Ah.....NO!

Perhaps you should have used a few more days to read and search before posting. And your sense of humor is misplaced here.

Any questions you have are either relevant and appropriate for everyone, or should not be asked. This is not the sign me up personal help line. We have articulated pretty clearly that we do not do that here.

Most of what you mentioned is already discused on this board, again, if you had applied the energy and motivation to read and search before starting this useless thread.

If I discover that you are PMing other members asking personal questions about SFAS, you will not be doing it here for very long.

Stop posting and go do PT.

Have a very SF day.

TR

Sign me up
10-10-2007, 08:50
I apologize, and it will not happen again.

LongWire
10-10-2007, 14:54
I would worry about getting a contract first. See if the Army wants you first, and start off slowly from there............25 meter target

Have you even talked to a recruiter yet? Taken the Asvab? Been to a MEPS station?

Do you even possess the minimum requirements to secure an 18x contract........

What's your plan, if you Do Not? Do you have a back up plan?

Did you plan on serving anyways, or you just gonna be a walk on starter, or nothing at all...........

Sometimes you kids really piss me off.

Sometimes it's not How you answer the call, just that you answer.

Could be I might be out of line.........But then again, I doubt it.

Oh and By All Means, Follow the Guidance Given by The Reaper........Your Journey will end quickly if you Do Not!!!!!!

*edit for spelling*

Sign me up
10-10-2007, 19:54
LongWire,

I was planning on serving the military regardless of what my outcome is within Special Forces. This is the real deal for me, and something I have felt strongly about for a long time. I want to spend the rest of my life serving my country.

You can also delete this thread if you wish, as I have been given enough advice on how to obtain my own information. I realize this was inappropriate and apologize for starting it (I am learning and adapting every day). I won't have to be told twice, I can promise you that.

I am meeting with a recruiter tomorrow. Nothing to my knowledge would inhibit me from getting the 18x contract, but I will find out soon enough.

-SMU

Ambush Master
10-10-2007, 20:12
You can also delete this thread if you wish, as I have been given enough advice on how to obtain my own information. I realize this was inappropriate and apologize for starting it (I am learning and adapting every day). I won't have to be told twice, I can promise you that.-SMU

Negatori there Grasshopper!!

This will stand as a Warning Sign, to those that will attempt to follow!!!:D

One thing that WE HAVE learned is that you must learn from mistakes, from your own and preferably from those of others!!! I personally have both benefitted from those of others and unfortunately contributed to the latter!!!

SA Dude, you must acquire SA!!!! And don't respond with a ?????!!!!!:munchin

Sign me up
10-10-2007, 20:33
Well then, I'm glad I could contribute my lack of "Situational Awareness" as a warning to others.

Consider it my last :)

Ambush Master
10-10-2007, 20:37
Crip,

Tag you're it!! He's all yours!!:D

Surgicalcric
10-10-2007, 20:57
...I'm glad I could contribute my lack of "Situational Awareness..."

How about you stop contributing all together for now and use the search button as previously suggested in PM.

My father once told me, "Son when you find yourself in a hole its best to put down the shovel."

That was good advice; you should follow it. That means DONT REPLY!

Sign me up
10-11-2007, 00:25
Something clicked in my head. I GET it now. No more posting for me, ever. I'm here to learn.

You're probably thinking "oh god, he posted AGAIN!" when reading this. Just realize that this is sincere, and rather than leaving this thread to die, I have to fully apologize for everything that has happened and leave on a good note.

I see what this is all about now. Thank you for your patience, as I have learned a lot today. Wish me luck,

-SMU

Pete
10-11-2007, 04:55
People who just have to get "The Last Word In" really irritate Team Sergeants, Instructors and Sergeants Major. It makes you "Noticed" and never more a "Gray Man" shall you be.

"Roger That" is not considered "The Last Word In".

Surgicalcric
10-11-2007, 07:37
...I have learned a lot today...

We beg to differ. What about, "DON'T REPLY" did you not understand? I meant exactly what I said.

Your career in SF will be short lived unless you figure out how to STFU. This isn't the place to play games or tit-for-tat. You will find yourself on the losing end every time.

Now, go PT.

Crip

The Reaper
10-11-2007, 08:29
Something clicked in my head. I GET it now. No more posting for me, ever. I'm here to learn.

You're probably thinking "oh god, he posted AGAIN!" when reading this. Just realize that this is sincere, and rather than leaving this thread to die, I have to fully apologize for everything that has happened and leave on a good note.

I see what this is all about now. Thank you for your patience, as I have learned a lot today. Wish me luck,

-SMU

S'up:

IF you ever make it into the US military, people are going to tell you to do a lot of things that you may not like. Some of them may even involve putting your life at risk.

Rather than be a Generation Why (or Whine) problem to your leaders, you must learn to quit trying to be the center of attention, constantly asking for things, and to shut up, roger up, and cowboy up.

When the Tac tells you to be on the road in front of the gate in 5 minutes, jocked up, with 50 pounds in your ruck, he does not need to hear anything from you but "Roger".

If your Team Sergeant tells you to get on the .50 right now and put suppressive fire on the enemy up the hill, it is not time for a conversation or questions. STFU and get on it.

People who like to ask excessive questions or talk too much are not going to be making it into SF. Remember the Duke's advice: "Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much."

The attitude you are displaying right now is narcissistic, insecure, immature, and will cause you to have trouble with Basic Training, much less the SFQC.

Honor your promise to refrain from posting for a while, and you will find that you learn more with your mouth closed than with it open. Listen to what the guys who are what you want to be are telling you.

A reply to this is neither necessary, nor desired.

Good luck, and have a very SF day.

TR

ESPI13
10-21-2007, 20:59
Sign Me Up,
I'm about to give you the answers to all your questions. Quick talking, start listening, and begin doing! The words of wisdom that you seek will 1: Never be told to you by those that have already been through the arduous task of earning the Green Beret, simply because no one gave them a leg up, and 2: No one's experiences will be anything like the ones that you will face if you decide that the SF life is something that you would like to try and attain. I made the mistakes that you are making now. I showed up to this site and began asking all the questions that I thought would make my life easier and inputting my sense of humor that I thought was rather funny and it was quickly pointed out to me that this is not the place for that. I know that it is called a forum, but think of it as more of an encyclopedia. Does an encyclopedia tell you all you want to know when you ask? No, you must do the research and apply the things you read to see if it will work for you. These guys may seem rough and act as if they have no sense of humor, but trust me, if you make it through the trial, you will earn these guy's respect and you will see another dimension to the Army's Best. I am, by far, no where finished with my path to the Tab, but I feel it's best that you learn from someone else's mistakes like mine, as Ambush Master said, rather than babble on and have to apologize. There are no apologies here, just solutions. In short, if this is something you truly want, expect nothing and prepare for everything. Let there be no surprises. Good Luck

Razor
10-21-2007, 23:01
1: Never be told to you by those that have already been through the arduous task of earning the Green Beret, simply because no one gave them a leg up

If this is what you actually believe is the reason for making people try to find answers to their questions before asking, then you're still missing the point, even at your stage of training.

ESPI13
10-22-2007, 09:19
If this is what you actually believe is the reason for making people try to find answers to their questions before asking, then you're still missing the point, even at your stage of training.

Razor,
In a round about way yes. I believe that the experience becomes more personal when a person has to wrestle through the battles and figure things out on there own. I know the QP's want people that can act and think quickly for themselves, so this type of learning can lead to a person's SA. Selection is about the "Whole Man" experience and any person going through this first phase will have to rely on that. Team building comes later on once a person has proved that they have the will and capability.

Surgicalcric
10-22-2007, 11:28
Razor,
In a round about way yes...

Then you missed the point entirely and should probably not give advice on subjects that you don't entirely understand.

The point was, that one wanting to join the ranks of self motivated Professional Soldiers should seek, first, to find the answers to their questions then after having exhausted other options ask others. This shows initiative, which is one of the many things candidates are graded on at SFAS and the rest of the SFQC. Once you are selected doesn't mean assessment stops. There are plenty of situations during SFAS/SFQC that will both bring to the surface someones true character and build upon it. There are places to suffer, rest assured.

There is no need in fighting and/or suffering thru things that can be prevented with a lil research or question asking. I am sure somewhere along the way someone has given you advice on boot/sock selection, proper foot care, packing your ruck, etc... None of the aforementioned advice or that any which is found within this BBS is G2 or provides a candidate with a "leg up" on the SFQC anymore than asking recommendations from any instructor.

Crip

Razor
10-22-2007, 22:46
Razor,
In a round about way yes. I believe that the experience becomes more personal when a person has to wrestle through the battles and figure things out on there own. I know the QP's want people that can act and think quickly for themselves, so this type of learning can lead to a person's SA. Selection is about the "Whole Man" experience and any person going through this first phase will have to rely on that. Team building comes later on once a person has proved that they have the will and capability.

Ok, given your explanation I can see what you're trying to say. However, that doesn't mirror your original post very well, in that it seemed to say that the SF guys here take a "we didn't have any assistance, so we won't give you any, either" attitude. While that may pertain to some aspects of training (for good reasons--prior knowledge degrades the training objective), I think the very existance of this board, compounded by the advice regularly and freely given by men with decades of experience in this profession, proves the "I got mine--screw you" idea completely false.

Eagle5US
10-22-2007, 22:51
. Once you are selected doesn't mean assessment stops.

Allow me to add that assessments continue long into whatever career path you choose. Even now, almost 20 years after the Q-Course...my reputation continues to be built, and the results of my interactions with others are factored into that reputation. Small community, big consequences (good and bad).
It works both ways though...such is the lifestyle of the QP.
Every day is an assessment. Every day is a test. Or at least it is personally viewed that way (and welcomed) for those who are successful.
We are not "protectors of the tab". There are plenty of redoubts in place for that through the training channels. In sharp and distinct contrast, we welcome those who make it through the training and afford them the respect they have shown they deserve until they demonstrate otherwise.

Eagle

ESPI13
10-23-2007, 18:43
Thanks to all the QP's for their candor and helping me along the way. I better finish packing. Hope to see everyone in the end. 2 years to go! :lifter