PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Special Forces Group gets new senior enlisted advisor

Dan
09-29-2007, 19:59
3rd Special Forces Group gets new senior enlisted advisor
Former top enlisted advisor receives award during change of responsibility ceremony

SOCOM PAO
Command Sgt. Maj. Terry L. Peters assumed responsibility of the 3rd Special Forces Group during a change of responsibility at the 3rd SFG parade field Friday.
Peters replaced Command Sgt. Maj. David J. LaFountain as the unit’s senior enlisted advisor for the 3rd SFG.
During his farewell address to the group, LaFountain said that it has been an honor and privilege to have been the group command sergeant major for the past 24 months where he began his Special Forces career.
“Most importantly, I would like to thank the warriors that stand before you for they are the real reason we are here today,” LaFountain said. “It’s not about us, it’s about what we are about on the battlefield, De Oppresso Liber.”
Prior to the change of responsibility ceremony, Maj. Gen. Thomas R. Csrnko, commanding general, U.S. Army Special Forces Command, presented LaFountain with the Saint Philip Neri Award in recognition for his contributions to the improvement of the U. S. Army Special Forces. This award is reserved for Active Duty and National Guard Special Forces Soldiers who have contributed in a significant way to the improvement of the U. S. Army Special Forces.
Col. Christopher K. Haas, the commanding officer of the 3rd SFG recognized LaFountain’s 24 months of dedicated efforts as the senior enlisted advisor for his command.
“It has been a privilege to serve along your side and it has been the highlight of my professional life,” Haas said. “Without question you have achieved excellence in your chosen profession.”
Haas welcomed Peters, who recently served as the senior enlisted advisor to the Joint Special Operations Task Force Philippines. The Soldiers, noncommissioned officers and officers are fortunate to have Peters as the group command sergeant major, Haas said.
“Today, I challenge you to take stock in our unit that is making history across the globe,” said Peters during the change of responsibility ceremony. “Never lose focus on all those things that make us the finest forces.”
Peters, a native of Virginia, has served in every leadership position from M60 gun team leader to command sergeant major responsible for all field training inherent to the Special Forces Selection and Assessment program and Special Forces Qualification Course.
Peters’ military education includes the Sergeants Major Course, First Sergeant Course, Combat Dive Supervisor Course, Basic Instructor Trainer Course, Ranger Course, Special Forces Instructor Course, Airborne Course, Jungle Warfare Course, Air Assault Course, Warrior Leaders Course and Infantry Course. Peters’ awards and decorations include, the Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster and V device, eight Meritorious Service Medals, the Joint Service Commendation Medal, four Army Commendation Medals, four Army Achievement Medals , various campaign, service awards and multiple foreign jump wings.
In addition to the Special Forces Tab, the Ranger Tab, Master Parachutist Badge, Combat Diving supervisors Badge, Expert Infantryman’s Badge, Combat Infantryman’s Badge ( with Star) and Air Assault Badge.

Dan
09-29-2007, 19:59
photo courtesy of SOCOM PAO
Maj. Gen. Thomas R. Csrnko, commanding general, U.S. Army Special Forces Command, presented Command Sgt. Maj. David LaFountain with the Saint Philip Neri Award in recognition for his contributions to the improvement of the U. S. Army Special Forces. This award is reserved for active duty and National Guard Special Forces Soldiers who have contributed in a significant way to the improvement of the U.S. Army Special Forces.

Radar Rider
09-29-2007, 20:45
I met CSM Peters on his tour of the Group a couple of weeks ago. I look forward to working with him.

SFS0AVN
09-30-2007, 10:13
I've been retired for a while now but, I was under the impression that a COMMAND Sgt Major was just that. I didn't know he now is a Responsible Adviser.