PDA

View Full Version : Never give up.

GratefulCitizen
09-05-2007, 21:16
Never give up.
If your heart is still beating, you can still win.

This link is to a story about a 69 year old man named Gene Moe.

The story speaks for itself.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/adventure/article/0,19912,1117013,00.html

The Reaper
09-05-2007, 21:26
Helluva story.

You gotta watch those old guys, at the very least, they are survivors.

I wonder if he wishes he had brought a handgun?

TR

Guy
09-06-2007, 09:31
Gene offers one more tip to those who hunt in bear country. Something he has noticed many times, but never told anyone until now, is how raven behavior ties in with deer hunting in bear territory. “When a raven flies over and sees you,” Gene says, “he’ll give a squawk or two. If you keep watching him, you’ll probably hear him squawk again and notice that he’s flying over another ravine. I figure if he squawks when he sees me, he’s squawking when he sees something else. When the wind has been in my face, I’ve sneaked over to see what’s there, and sure enough, I’d find a deer in that ravine. But you have to be careful. It could be a bear with a kill or cubs to defend. About half of the time, when I’d start to get close, I’d see a bear coming from the other direction. I don’t know for sure if bears are smart enough to catch on to raven behavior, but I take the possibility seriously. I’ve certainly had enough experience with rifle shots calling bears to dinner.”Stay safe.

The Reaper
09-06-2007, 09:47
Now that is SA!

I would have to cut the flaps off the partner's cap though.

Bad visual image of a Cosmonite in a pile cap with the flaps down for landing.:rolleyes:

TR

RTK
09-08-2007, 07:15
Steve would be pouring concrete at someone else's business after this.

dmgedgoods
09-08-2007, 20:57
Don't want to sidetrack this amazing story, but something caught my eye in the paper this morning...in a similar vein, minus the killing of a bear with his hands:

Woman, 76, found alive after 2 weeks (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-09-06-missing-woman_N.htm?csp=34)

Not even a comparison as far as SA goes, but amazing nonetheless. What is it with old people and their ability to adapt and overcome? Both of these stories bring to mind a great book, Deep Survival, by Laurence Gonzales. The "science" of survival is far from making any sense.

McD

R3V3LATIONS
11-02-2010, 23:03
Amazing story. and to comment on the previous post, one could infer that after spending as many years on this earth as is required to elevate one into the "elderly" class, you pick up on a thing or two that would allow you to survive. The elderly have my deepest respect, as they have alot they can teach if you just listen and dont write them off.