BMT (RIP)
02-27-2007, 15:23
http://www.defenselink.mil/News/NewsArticle.aspx?id=3199

BMT

Pete
02-27-2007, 15:39
http://www.defenselink.mil/News/NewsArticle.aspx?id=3199

BMT

With a bigger SOC will we get a bigger Shoe?

lksteve
02-27-2007, 20:46
With a bigger SOC will we get a bigger Shoe?only if you are looking for a larger footprint...

Max_Tab
02-28-2007, 07:19
Dang people, the puns are killing me.:D

x SF med
02-28-2007, 07:50
Does this mean, size matters?

Seriously - It looks as though a large portion of the 'growth' is pulling in units that are on the fringe, or in a support role. We know we can't mass produce true Special Operations Forces, it would be nice if the governmental 'leadership' would realize this. Conventionalizing SOF/SOCOM will be the biggest mistake the dims could make at this point. Special is in the title for a reason, it's not egalitarian, not every soldier is right for these units.

Ret10Echo
02-28-2007, 08:08
There are the same number of letters in the word AVERAGE as there is in the word SPECIAL......

The Reaper
02-28-2007, 09:37
I have long recommended that we make a tab that reads "AVERAGE FORCES" for those Badgefinders who want a uniform decoration to go with their black berets, but don't really meet the standards or have the desire to earn the real ones.

TR

Ret10Echo
02-28-2007, 09:40
Standards???.....Earn????? You are dating yourself.

Bracholi
01-27-2008, 15:16
An slightly off-topic question.
Do you think everyone with the desire and measure up the the SO/SF standards get their opportunity?

Wouldn't it be nice if they had a magical sorting hat at basic... "Worthy" "Unworthy" "Desk Clerk" "Special Forces *Ding Ding Ding*

I also know that when someone gets too good at their job and yet want to change to another mos sometimes the paperwork gets lost... for a very long time... until you've been out of the army over 10 years, have a wife and a good job. Then they call you back up and ask if you want to consider re-enlisting to be a pilot like you wanted...

Happened to my uncle.

Ret10Echo
01-27-2008, 18:29
An slightly off-topic question.
Do you think everyone with the desire and measure up the the SO/SF standards get their opportunity?

Wouldn't it be nice if they had a magical sorting hat at basic... "Worthy" "Unworthy" "Desk Clerk" "Special Forces *Ding Ding Ding*

I also know that when someone gets too good at their job and yet want to change to another mos sometimes the paperwork gets lost... for a very long time... until you've been out of the army over 10 years, have a wife and a good job. Then they call you back up and ask if you want to consider re-enlisting to be a pilot like you wanted...

Happened to my uncle.

Those who are really serious will be in active pursuit of the goal. There is a difference between waiting for an opportunity (passive) and being active in attaining that which you desire.

"Good" is the enemy of "Excellance"

What are you willing to settle for? :munchin

Abu Jack
01-27-2008, 19:35
The SOCOM Commander actually mentioned a Special Forces ODA? WOW!

Razor
01-27-2008, 21:23
Yeah, but he probably grimmaced when he said it, like it hurt his head.

SF18C
01-28-2008, 00:54
Yeah, but he probably grimmaced when he said it, like it hurt his head.

Naw he was smiling, probably thought the report was about Mr. T, Face, and crew! SOCOM Commander IS a Navy cat!:D

brownapple
01-28-2008, 05:52
“We are fielding … the largest growth in special operations history without sacrificing quality along the way,”

Uh-huh... :rolleyes:

J-Dub
01-28-2008, 13:30
The SOCOM Commander has spent a suspiciously large amount of time around the school house lately... :rolleyes:

mark46th
01-28-2008, 21:21
Let him make SOCOM as big as he wants. Leave Special Forces to its own devices. Don't force growth on SF. Making it grow faster just to make it grow, will only dilute the qualities that make Special Forces what it is. I would rather we had to scrounge for supplies and equipment like in the old days than suffer through SOCOM channels and egos.

Man, we had some great scroungers...