02-19-2007, 11:01
Good article. Bu Dop was one of the launch sites we used,

Jim

Jgood
02-19-2007, 11:31
thanks for posting the story

A Simple Genius
02-19-2007, 22:41
I salute the brave men such as SGT Hallberg and CPT Stewart. Fantastic post.
Might I assume that today's intelligence security measures are much more stringent and effective?

ASG

Mike
02-21-2007, 23:20
I spent 16 months at Budop starting August '68.
Went from boring to hair-raising, back and forth.
Good training.

John A. Larsen
04-23-2007, 18:15
I spent Thanksgiving 1967 at Bu Dop, they had some 155's from the 9th Div there plus some cooks. The 9th sent out enough chow for all of us, good meal. In 68 or 69 I was in Cantho and every morning I had to brief the CIA resident. Waiting to go in to see him I was talking to a Captain, who was assigned to a RF/PF post out in the middle of nowhere. I asked what he had been doing before he came to Vietnam. He replied he had been in Europe and "Had been a Nuclear Target Planning Officer." I said that was interesting, went into brief the CIA man, told him what the Captain had said. The Captain was out of country in less than 24 hours.

CPTAUSRET
04-23-2007, 18:35
I spent Thanksgiving 1967 at Bu Dop, they had some 155's from the 9th Div there plus some cooks. The 9th sent out enough chow for all of us, good meal. In 68 or 69 I was in Cantho and every morning I had to brief the CIA resident. Waiting to go in to see him I was talking to a Captain, who was assigned to a RF/PF post out in the middle of nowhere. I asked what he had been doing before he came to Vietnam. He replied he had been in Europe and "Had been a Nuclear Target Planning Officer." I said that was interesting, went into brief the CIA man, told him what the Captain had said. The Captain was out of country in less than 24 hours.

I was flying Cobras out of CanTho, same timeframe...Did you happen to know a Galen Geer, he was at Binh Thuy just down the road?

John A. Larsen
04-23-2007, 18:50
Did not know Geer, but did visit Biny Thuy. Loved to see those "Snakes" heading our way, great bird and I appreciate all of the men who flew them. Forgot to mention when I got to the 10th SFGA in 1972, I eventually ended up as the Team Sergeant for the SCUBA Team in 3rd BN. We became the SADM Team and I had that "Honor" for 5 years. Four times a year it was bet your stripes (or bars) on NSI's (Nuclear Sureity Inspections). We never failed one, but they were not a fun experience.

Paul Campbell
05-16-2007, 16:55
I was on the team that built the camp at Bu Dop beofre it was overrun,
Cpt Simmons was the Team Leader.
Paul F. Campbell

Edited by the Team Sergeant