A Bad Day at Bu Dop

http://www.historynet.com/magazines/...m/3026766.html

BMT
Old 02-19-2007, 11:01   #2
incommin
Quiet Professional

Good article. Bu Dop was one of the launch sites we used,

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:31   #3
Jgood
Quiet Professional

thanks for posting the story
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 22:41   #4
A Simple Genius
Asset

In honor I salute

I salute the brave men such as SGT Hallberg and CPT Stewart. Fantastic post.
Might I assume that today's intelligence security measures are much more stringent and effective?

ASG
Old 02-21-2007, 23:20   #5
Mike
Quiet Professional

I spent 16 months at Budop starting August '68.
Went from boring to hair-raising, back and forth.
Good training.
Old 04-23-2007, 18:15   #6
John A. Larsen
Quiet Professional

I spent Thanksgiving 1967 at Bu Dop, they had some 155's from the 9th Div there plus some cooks. The 9th sent out enough chow for all of us, good meal. In 68 or 69 I was in Cantho and every morning I had to brief the CIA resident. Waiting to go in to see him I was talking to a Captain, who was assigned to a RF/PF post out in the middle of nowhere. I asked what he had been doing before he came to Vietnam. He replied he had been in Europe and "Had been a Nuclear Target Planning Officer." I said that was interesting, went into brief the CIA man, told him what the Captain had said. The Captain was out of country in less than 24 hours.
John A. Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 18:35   #7
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Larsen
I spent Thanksgiving 1967 at Bu Dop, they had some 155's from the 9th Div there plus some cooks. The 9th sent out enough chow for all of us, good meal. In 68 or 69 I was in Cantho and every morning I had to brief the CIA resident. Waiting to go in to see him I was talking to a Captain, who was assigned to a RF/PF post out in the middle of nowhere. I asked what he had been doing before he came to Vietnam. He replied he had been in Europe and "Had been a Nuclear Target Planning Officer." I said that was interesting, went into brief the CIA man, told him what the Captain had said. The Captain was out of country in less than 24 hours.

I was flying Cobras out of CanTho, same timeframe...Did you happen to know a Galen Geer, he was at Binh Thuy just down the road?
Old 04-23-2007, 18:50   #8
John A. Larsen
Quiet Professional

Did not know Geer, but did visit Biny Thuy. Loved to see those "Snakes" heading our way, great bird and I appreciate all of the men who flew them. Forgot to mention when I got to the 10th SFGA in 1972, I eventually ended up as the Team Sergeant for the SCUBA Team in 3rd BN. We became the SADM Team and I had that "Honor" for 5 years. Four times a year it was bet your stripes (or bars) on NSI's (Nuclear Sureity Inspections). We never failed one, but they were not a fun experience.
John A. Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 16:55   #9
Paul Campbell
BANNED USER

Built Bu Dop

I was on the team that built the camp at Bu Dop beofre it was overrun,
Cpt Simmons was the Team Leader.
Paul F. Campbell

Edited by the Team Sergeant
Paul Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote