PDA

View Full Version : Life paths and decisions, would like some guidance

MonkeySpunkey
01-31-2007, 20:41
I am a sophomore in high school at the moment, and have my mind set on SF. Read through Get Selected for SF twice (thanks WM!), and I'm certain it's what I want.

At the moment, I have the options after graduating of working on an oilrig and making a large amount of money (50-60k/yr) until I'm 20 and enlist (18x minimum age requirement),

or go to college and get a 2 year degree (probably business) then enlist,

or enlist right after high school, serve infantry for a couple years, then fill out the application for SFAS.

A couple side points about my plans, the college plan bugs me because I'm afraid it would be a waste of time until I can enlist. While business (stock and real estate investment in particular) interest me, I can't imagine a business degree coming much in handy in SF unless we need to negotiate a trade for donkeys with some insurgents in a third world country.

About the immediate enlistment plan, I was thinking it might be a good plan to go through RIP and Ranger School, but then I read that Rangers really discourage people using the 75th as a quick stepping stone to SF.

Do you believe it is likely that a 20 year old 18x recruit would be mature enough to be a useful part of an ODA? Even if he has no tours, just an open mind and dedication?

What is your opinion on the college idea? Is it a waste of time, or would it be useful in getting some life experience and mental skills?

If I do immediately enlist, would you recommend RIP and Ranger School, and then going for SF as soon as I can?

I would appreciate any opinions on my plan, as it is easily subject to change, and what you guys say will have a large bearing on which path I take.

-Jon

P.S. I spent a half hour searching this site for "college," "degree," and "university." The only relevant topics I found were one about becoming 18A, and another about exactly which major to get.

The Reaper
01-31-2007, 20:52
Jon:

As a kid in school, no doubt you have more time than we do, so do us all a favor and keep digging, this topic has been covered repeatedly in 18X vs. college vs. 18A vs. Option 40 (Ranger) then SF threads. In fact, if you work your way down the SF Question page that this is posted on, there are several similar questions posed for your reading pleasure.

Besides, as a Canadian HS sophmore, the odds are better of me hitting the lottery than you have of getting to SF.

I will say that you asked nicely and write very well for someone of your age and status.

Thanks for your interest and professionalism.

Good luck.

TR

Surgicalcric
01-31-2007, 20:54
...A couple side points about my plans, the college plan bugs me because I'm afraid it would be a waste of time until I can enlist. While business (stock and real estate investment in particular) interest me, I can't imagine a business degree coming much in handy in SF unless we need to negotiate a trade for donkeys with some insurgents in a third world country...

Education is never a waste of time!

Crip

MonkeySpunkey
01-31-2007, 21:13
Jon:

As a kid in school, no doubt you have more time than we do, so do us all a favor and keep digging, this topic has been covered repeatedly in 18X vs. college vs. 18A vs. Option 40 (Ranger) then SF threads. In fact, if you work your way down the SF Question page that this is posted on, there are several similar questions posed for your reading pleasure.

Besides, as a Canadian HS sophmore, the odds are better of me hitting the lottery than you have of getting to SF.

I will say that you asked nicely and write very well for someone of your age and status.

Thanks for your interest and professionalism.

Good luck.

TR

TheReaper: I appreciate the soft response :P. Apologies for my lack of SA, should have searched for threads relevant to my other question besides college.

I have dual citizenship, and I relate more to being an American than a Canadian, so that shouldn't be an issue when I enlist.

Thanks.

Roguish Lawyer
01-31-2007, 21:24
Can you skate?

MonkeySpunkey
01-31-2007, 21:28
Only when I'm not building igloos and drinking beer.

Nah, I can't skate. Tried rollerblading and cut up my arms once though. Does that count?

Roguish Lawyer
01-31-2007, 21:30
Nah, I can't skate.

I am surprised they haven't revoked your Canadian citizenship.

Surgicalcric
01-31-2007, 21:51
...I have dual citizenship, and I relate more to being an American than a Canadian...

It doesnt matter much who you relate to. You will have to denounce your Canadian citizenship before you will be eligible for a secret clearance.

Crip

MonkeySpunkey
01-31-2007, 22:04
And I'll do it in a heartbeat when the time comes.

Sionnach
01-31-2007, 23:00
And I'll do it in a heartbeat when the time comes.

Maybe we can trade you for someone. I'm willing to give up Al Franken for MonkeySpunky, and I'll throw in Charles Rangel, John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi, et al.

sg1987
02-01-2007, 06:32
Maybe we can trade you for someone. I'm willing to give up Al Franken for MonkeySpunky, and I'll throw in Charles Rangel, John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi, et al.

I second that....all in favor......

Goggles Pizano
02-01-2007, 06:44
I'm sure we can add to that list before we seal the deal no?:D

Kyobanim
02-01-2007, 07:27
Wait a minute, he can't skate. He needs to provide a proxy skater.

ABN_FO
02-01-2007, 07:27
How about we add most of the folks attending the Democratic National Convention to the list? :p

x SF med
02-01-2007, 07:43
If he can't skate, he can't go to 10th .... It'll have to be a warm weather group.

Add shrillary to the list on the Trade - ahhh, one kid willing to go SF is worth the entire DNC, and all of the seated Dems... think Canada would take them, or is that unfair to Canada?

bandycpa
02-01-2007, 08:39
Originally posted by x SF Med
Add shrillary to the list on the Trade - ahhh, one kid willing to go SF is worth the entire DNC, and all of the seated Dems... think Canada would take them, or is that unfair to Canada?

Wait a minute, didn't we have a bunch of them promise to go to Canada after the 2004 election?

Bandy

Goggles Pizano
02-01-2007, 09:39
Wait a minute, didn't we have a bunch of them promise to go to Canada after the 2004 election?

Bandy

I'm still waiting for the hollywood wackado's to exit the country post haste after the 2000 election!:rolleyes:

The Reaper
02-01-2007, 09:51
If he can't skate, he can't go to 10th ....

I had heard that 10th Group was full of skaters and other assorted get overs.

Thanks for confirming it.

TR

x SF med
02-01-2007, 10:35

TR

I should have qualified that with Ice/Hockey Skating - thanks TR, another mark you've left on me - such a pal, Sir, such a pal - and to think, we're on the same side.:D

kachingchingpow
02-01-2007, 10:38

TR

LOL :D

JMI
02-01-2007, 12:43
I am a sophomore in high school at the moment, and have my mind set on SF. Read through Get Selected for SF twice (thanks WM!), and I'm certain it's what I want.

At the moment, I have the options after graduating of working on an oilrig and making a large amount of money (50-60k/yr) until I'm 20 and enlist (18x minimum age requirement),

or go to college and get a 2 year degree (probably business) then enlist,

or enlist right after high school, serve infantry for a couple years, then fill out the application for SFAS.

A couple side points about my plans, the college plan bugs me because I'm afraid it would be a waste of time until I can enlist. While business (stock and real estate investment in particular) interest me, I can't imagine a business degree coming much in handy in SF unless we need to negotiate a trade for donkeys with some insurgents in a third world country.

About the immediate enlistment plan, I was thinking it might be a good plan to go through RIP and Ranger School, but then I read that Rangers really discourage people using the 75th as a quick stepping stone to SF.

Do you believe it is likely that a 20 year old 18x recruit would be mature enough to be a useful part of an ODA? Even if he has no tours, just an open mind and dedication?

What is your opinion on the college idea? Is it a waste of time, or would it be useful in getting some life experience and mental skills?

If I do immediately enlist, would you recommend RIP and Ranger School, and then going for SF as soon as I can?

I would appreciate any opinions on my plan, as it is easily subject to change, and what you guys say will have a large bearing on which path I take.

-Jon

P.S. I spent a half hour searching this site for "college," "degree," and "university." The only relevant topics I found were one about becoming 18A, and another about exactly which major to get.
I never offer advice to anyone seeking help from the QP's. Just wanted to say you seem like a level headed person and I wish you good luck after you graduate.

You really can't skate? Isn't that against some kind of Canadian law or something? ;)

Sdiver
02-01-2007, 13:01
Nah, I can't skate.

WHAT !!!!!!

You CAN'T skate !!!!!!

Next thing you'll tell us is, that you don't like Tim Hortons. :eek:

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-01-2007, 15:30

TR

Apparently the cover stories are pretty sound:D

x SF med
02-01-2007, 16:49
Apparently the cover stories are pretty sound:D

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, COL Moroney, I was leading him astray, living the cover story, keeping it simple, seeming offended at the accusations. TR's just jealous that 10th gets to "ski" every winter, I guess he doesn't realize that us FOGs skied on Ramers with Hanwegs and were testing the Lowe Expedition packs while telemarking the Giant Slalom at Lake Placid on that nasty setup, or "skiing" uphill with all our Dgear.

Yup TR, we just skated at 10th, casual duty all the time - goretex everything, 3 hots in the field, heated tents with feather beds, and even the E-5s had batmen. Uh Huh - easy duty, never even broke a sweat, sherpas carried our rucks - right COL M?

MonkeySpunkey
02-01-2007, 19:25
Is snowboarding an accepted alternative to skating/skiing in the 10th? If so, count me in.

I <3 Ice Caps, but Tim Horton's donuts are kinda meh.

Oh and I figure I better break it to you guys early on...

I'm part French Canadian.

*puts on flame-retardant suit and level III kevlar*

EDIT: Thanks JMI!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-01-2007, 19:32
Is snowboarding an accepted alternative to skating/skiing in the 10th? !

No! Unless you can mount touring bindings on them so you transistion from alpine to nordic environments while dragging an ahkio while wearing a ruck that requires you to wear at least 210cm skis to get enough floatation on unbroken snow.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-01-2007, 19:38
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,
Yup TR, we just skated at 10th, casual duty all the time - goretex everything, 3 hots in the field, heated tents with feather beds, and even the E-5s had batmen. Uh Huh - easy duty, never even broke a sweat, sherpas carried our rucks - right COL M?

Yup-glad you didn't spill the beans on the gluhwein, saunas, and reindeer for skijouring.

x SF med
02-01-2007, 19:43
COL M,
You didn't use that word, no you didn't, not the medieval torture device, that wasn't even any fun downhill - the infamous 10th Group Ahkio - you drag it uphill and act like brakes downhill - against all laws of gravity. I will have nightmnarres tonight just thinking about them.

Snaquebite
02-01-2007, 19:45
Colonel Jack you got it right. Forgot to add the skiis have to be wooden Whitestars with leather bindings....and what were those damn boots that 3/4 of the sole material was leather? Worked really well after they got wet and then froze.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-01-2007, 19:53
Those would be the infamous Chippewas. Remember having to cut a small triangle out of the toes so that the damn bindings would hold? Then there was the good old prep of the wooden skis-pinetar and layers and layers of wax that you had to change with the changing snow conditions. When I was still able to ski I still stuck to waxing my civilian skis and could outrun anyone with those waxless wonders over long distances and changing conditions. Old habits are hard to change.:D

lksteve
02-01-2007, 20:14
Those would be the infamous Chippewas. Remember having to cut a small triangle out of the toes so that the damn bindings would hold? Then there was the good old prep of the wooden skis-pinetar and layers and layers of wax that you had to change with the changing snow conditions. When I was still able to ski I still stuck to waxing my civilian skis and could outrun anyone with those waxless wonders over long distances and changing conditions. Old habits are hard to change.i still have a pair of Chippewas...square-toed, heavy...your feet conformed to the boot, as they could only be worn out, but never broken in...ah, yes the good old days...

i have some skis with the fishscale climbers, but they take glide wax...that works pretty well...easier to deal with than skins...

i am surprised that no one mentioned the rigors of some of the training we conducted in Munich, particularly those demanding civilian clothes and relaxed grooming standards exercises we held there every September...;)