PDA

View Full Version : Rock River Arms M-4

Intel_Airman
10-29-2006, 17:05
I was talking to a shop here in town and they mentioned that Rock River Arms is having a huge problem supplying contractors overseas with a rifle that doesn't malfunction due to dust/dirt. He said that because RRA rifles are so accurate and built so tight they don't hold up well in the desert; and that they basically urge people to purchase Bushmasters here in town since we are in the same type of environment. Do you think this sounds right? The first thing that I thought was the shop makes more of a profit off of the Bushmasters than the RRA's. I just want a second opinion before I drop a grand on a Bushmaster.

The Reaper
10-29-2006, 17:21
BS.

TR

Intel_Airman
10-29-2006, 17:28
Thanks TR, I thought it sounded fishy.

gunnerjohn
10-29-2006, 19:50
We have found that people are not wanting to wait for a Rock River when Bushmasters are generally an "instock" item. Rock River has gotten their production speed up so your wait will not be too long for delivery. Rock River builds a beautiful rifle.

Peregrino
10-29-2006, 21:18
Total BS. I have one of each. The BM has been demoted to "safe queen" (quality control/reliability problems) and will eventually be replaced when I get another RR. Besides, I like the guys at RR better - they treated me well and gave me what I wanted (non-std upper) without hassle/second guessing. All-in-all a pleasant shopping experience. FWIW - Peregrino

7624U
10-29-2006, 21:39
Im sort of leaning to DSA's new M-4
http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=DSZM4GTC&storeid=1&image=Z4CROS.gif
Same gas system as the FN-FAL You can order just a upper if you already have a lower.

The Reaper
10-29-2006, 21:44
Here is a thought.

They are lying to you about this, wonder what else they might have steered you wrong on?

Sounds to me like they should not be trusted, why would you do business with them in the future?

TR

mugwump
10-30-2006, 07:49
Im sort of leaning to DSA's new M-4
http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=DSZM4GTC&storeid=1&image=Z4CROS.gif
Same gas system as the FN-FAL You can order just a upper if you already have a lower.

That's what I did, put that POF upper on a LMT lower. I have a couple thousand flawless rounds through it on a flat range - it'll eat anything. I have a young friend who borrows it for 3-gun matches/training who swears by it. I'm trying to get him to introduce himself and write up a short review.

fish78
10-30-2006, 11:49
What is the delivery time, I talked with Chris at POF a week or so ago and he said they were 3 to 4 months out on their uppers...L&W has their gas piston uppers ready to ship now...I am trying to clear some financial hurdles and plan to put one of them on a RRA lower...

The Reaper
10-30-2006, 11:58
What is the delivery time, I talked with Chris at POF a week or so ago and he said they were 3 to 4 months out on their uppers...L&W has their gas piston uppers ready to ship now...I am trying to clear some financial hurdles and plan to put one of them on a RRA lower...

Not sure, an individal at the SHOT told me that the POF, HK, and Colt designs were all in violation of existing patents and that he was the designer.

I like the concept, but think that the prices are out of line, given the fact that a well-built, maintained, lubed, AR with good ammo and mags should run for several thousand rounds between stoppages. Crane claims that the M-4 should run well for 2,000 rounds between cleanings. IMHO, a lot of the AR reliability issues relate to Frankenguns that people are assembling from junk parts, bad ammo, and bad mags, with inadequate lubrication.

I sent an email to POF a long time ago and IIRC, never got a reply, so I gave up on them. The HK 416 could be a good choice for the future if the price was right.

TR

fish78
10-30-2006, 12:54
The folks I know with L&W conversions, complete guns and uppers speak highly of them...they are working on getting the prices down....

incommin
10-30-2006, 12:59
All this talk of guns, guns, guns! Why can't we all just get along?

Jim

7624U
10-30-2006, 17:37
All this talk of guns, guns, guns! Why can't we all just get along?

Jim

Couse everyone would like bigger guns :lifter

STR8SHTR
10-30-2006, 19:43
I was in a class last week in WV and there were two L&W guns there. One was a 10.5" sub gun and the other was a 16" carbine. The guns ran flawlessly.

Gene Econ
10-31-2006, 18:40
Im sort of leaning to DSA's new M-4 Same gas system as the FN-FAL You can order just a upper if you already have a lower.

7624U;

Still is kind pricey. Question for you as you seem interested in this design.

What do you see in this design that will give you a quantum improvement over a standard design?

Gene

7624U
11-01-2006, 07:51
I dont see it as ground breaking just more dependable, lack of gas rings is the main reason i like it, but if I was just wanting to save money i wouldent even bother with a M-4 type design. I would buy a Ruger Mini 30 or 14, then trick it out with aftermarket part's.

Truth of the matter we need to move on to caseless in my opinion brass aint getting any cheaper or lighter.