PDA

View Full Version : Carrying WAY too much weight

scoot
09-15-2006, 08:10
I thought some guys might get a kick out of this. It was the main story on the front page of our paper on campus. I started laughing after the second sentence.

http://www.kansan.com/stories/2006/sep/15/backpack/?news

The Reaper
09-15-2006, 08:38
"The Topeka junior’s bag weighed 19 pounds, too much according to the American Chiropractic Association. Overweight backpacks can cause major long-term back problems.

Victoria Houghton, ACA representative, said a backpack should weigh no more than 10 percent of a person’s body weight. For Fecchia, who weighs 125 pounds, this is 12.5 pounds, 6.5 less than she carried Wednesday."

19 lbs.? The horror!!

Average fighting load for just walking around outside the wire exceeds 70 lbs. in most cases, and emergency approach march weights exceed 150 lbs.

Clearly, the Army needs more chiropractors.

TR

FearMonkey
09-15-2006, 08:45
Maybe they'll make it a new MOS... :rolleyes:

jasonglh
09-15-2006, 09:44
American Chiropractic Association

That pretty much sums it up. Would be another story had it been about 3rd graders carrying around 20lb backpacks.

I'm suprised they didnt also mention how everyone should be adjusted every 2 weeks to prevent major disease. No kidding one here in town tells people their kids would be better off without vaccinations and to get regular adjustments instead. :rolleyes:

incommin
09-15-2006, 11:00
Could this be another reason why we are becomming a softer society?

Jim

Goggles Pizano
09-15-2006, 11:28
Could this be another reason why we are becomming a softer society?

Jim

That's a resounding Y E S! Moooooom my back hurts...can I forget class and just hit the puter for 6 hours!:boohoo

brewmonkey
09-15-2006, 11:38
A big problem is not the weight they carry but the fact that it is "fashionable" to let the pack droop down the back. They do not cinch the straps up properly and the weight is pulling their shoulders back causing horrible posture. My 13 year old has this problem (I just weighed his bookbag and it comes in at 23lbs) and refused to cinch the straps properly.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
09-15-2006, 13:36
(I just weighed his bookbag and it comes in at 23lbs) .

I must be getting old, but what in heaven's name does any school kid need that weighs 23lbs, unless he is going to school at Columbine and is carrying his own body armor and wpns for the pending gunfight? What was in the bag, brew?

Wiseman
09-15-2006, 13:56
These days, they print books with stupid pictures that take up lots of space and have little informative value. Essentially, wasting paper and adding weight.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
09-15-2006, 14:02
These days, they print books with stupid pictures that take up lots of space and have little informative value. Essentially, wasting paper and adding weight.

That might be, but I just completed graduate school a couple of years ago and my entire semesters worth of books didn't weigh 23 pounds. Even going to class with a thermos, calculator, books, and miscellaneous old person paraphenalia it couldn't have tipped the scale at 15 pounds.

Goggles Pizano
09-15-2006, 14:24
miscellaneous old person paraphenalia .

Sir are you actually admitting time has had it's way with you?? NEVER thought I'd here that from a FOQP! :D

The Reaper
09-15-2006, 15:45
Sir:

A notebook computer and power supply alone can easily add 10-12 lbs.

TR

SF18C
09-15-2006, 16:23
I have seen my nine year old pack up her "kit" for a day of school with "Household 6" (my wife) conducting PCI's before they head out the door. I swear the kid looks like she should be attending pre-Ranger or something.

I also knew of a school in Colorado that got rid of all their wall lockers shortly after Colubmine...those kids had to hump everything they need for that day - all day, every day. Well SFAS should be a whole lot easier for those H.S. grads!:p

incommin
09-15-2006, 17:51
This talk makes me long for the old days of struggling to get to the door with all your stuff and a base plate banging into your knees.

Jim

Jack Moroney (RIP)
09-15-2006, 19:32
Sir are you actually admitting time has had it's way with you?? NEVER thought I'd here that from a FOQP! :D

Actually I wasn't referring to a six pack of Ensure and a spare Depends or two. My old person paraphenalia was extra lead for my 5mm click top lead pencil, a spare black US government pen, and a couple of extra aspirin all folded neatly into my leather zipper closed notebook . The youngin's I took the master's program with showed up with backpacks that could sustain a jump TOC for 48 hours with food, electronic wizardry, water in high speed reuseable water bottles from which they evidently had to suck continuously to maintain some kind of magic electrolytic balance, aromatic coffee with names no one could pronounce, batteries, and a variety of odds and ends for personal maintenance that was designer runway ready.

x SF med
09-15-2006, 19:44
COL Jack -
A 5mm lead pencil? My Grumbacher drafting pencil only has a 2mm lead, and a sharpener in the clicker top. That's some pencil - does this have anything to do with eyesight? Or was it just a miniscule typo that should have been .5mm click top pencil... (yeah, I know, I'm gonna get smoked here, but it was just too easy, and it's been a bad week, a 10m target was what I needed, and I offered one up at the same time)

Fire when ready sir!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
09-15-2006, 20:06
Fire when ready sir!

No need, I see no invariable strategic advantage in correcting my post as the "intent" was fully understood.

Roycroft201
09-15-2006, 20:10
I also knew of a school in Colorado that got rid of all their wall lockers shortly after Colubmine...those kids had to hump everything they need for that day - all day, every day.

SF18C - When my daughter was in middle school there was a similar set up. They had to carry everything with them. The backpacks weighed about 40 lbs. (the weight of the textbooks were the problem ).
However, two of her classmates were the twin son and daughter of the School Board president. It was amazing how quickly they found an answer to this dilemma when his kids started to complain.

RC201

Mav
09-15-2006, 20:45
I also knew of a school in Colorado that got rid of all their wall lockers shortly after Colubmine...those kids had to hump everything they need for that day - all day, every day.

That's how it was at all of my schools, middle school on up. No lockers because the school's couldn't afford "locker checkers" to check for weapons in the lockers. No kidding. Of course, this was/is Bay Area California, so I guess I need say no more on that topic. :rolleyes:

We hauled our stuff around with us all day long. Altho, only a few of us were smart enough to cinch the straps. The rest of them looked like a bunch of gorillas walking around hunched over with the crotch of their pants around their knees so they didn't so much as "walk" as they did sort of.. "lumber" I guess you could say. :D

deanwells
09-16-2006, 00:02
Fecchia said she gets tightness in her shoulders and pain in her neck, lower back and knees. McNee said these are some of the main symptoms of carrying too much weight around. McNee also said headaches and hip pains are possible.:boohoo

Take Motrin
Drink water
Move out

x SF med
09-16-2006, 01:40
No need, I see no invariable strategic advantage in correcting my post as the "intent" was fully understood.

Touche, Monsieur le Colonel, d'accord.