PDA

View Full Version : Offer: Melissa Soalt / "Dr. Ruthless" Tapes

mugwump
09-11-2006, 18:03
I have a set of Fierce and Female tapes free for anyone with teen daughters. They are in VHS format. PM with address and I'll get them off this week. Consider these a loan. When you are done with them post a message here and pass them on to the next person who wants them.

I thought they were excellent tapes. Soalt teaches simple, brutally effective combatives techniques using real life scenarios. Her discussion about SA, mindset, and 0% to 100% aggression at the outset of a confrontation were very well done and well received by the target audience. She's about 90 pounds soaking wet and goes up against much bigger adversaries -- I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of her knee strikes.

Descriptions and testimonials here (http://www.dr-ruthless.com/frameset.htm).

I must warn you, attackers use graphic language (MF, bitch, etc. and describe what they are going to make the victim do) in the scenarios and she kicks them in the "nuts", not the groin. All to the good in my book, but your YMMV.

mugwump

Tape One: Prevention and stand-up techniques every woman MUST know!

* 7 proven-effective prevention strategies and what NEVER to do
* The realities and goals of physical defense
* Bodily targets and weapons (your body's “power tools”)
* 5 bottom-line commandments in physical defense
* EXPLOSIVE bread and butter techniques including hand, knee and elbow strikes
* Close Encounters: What to do and NOT do if being pinned.
* Overcoming, “but he's so big and I'm so small” and why struggling doesn't work
* How to “enter” and go ballistic - from 0 to 100 percent!
* The Dr. Ruthless¨ SMACKDOWN - the basics of a simple head throw; how to" hit em with the planet!"
* Fighting back from common rear attacks

Tape Two: Down-n-Dirty with Dr. Ruthless!

* When push comes to shove: how to take a fall without getting knocked unconscious
* Myths about fighting back, plus the mindset of a predator and what to expect
* Wielding legs like battering rams - devastating side, thrust and axe kicks!
* The spirit of “reversal” - exploiting the element of surprise
* Attacking back from on your back!
* Heave-Ho! Explosive techniques for when you're straddled or immobilized (The Dr. Ruthless approach to "getting him off!")
* Rape defense from lying on your stomach, and on “all fours”
* Neck crunching, head bashing leg hooks
* Defense from oral rape attacks, plus “seize and squeeze”
* Mental and emotional preparedness: how to remain focused, summon your forces, move beyond fear and tap primal rage

Cincinnatus
09-11-2006, 19:08
Good job, mugwump. These tapes are OUTSTANDING, they rank right up with McCann's and Cestari's. My training partner is the guy in the BulletMan suit and the REALLY ugly woman in the bathroom scenes. I've met Melissa and seen this material first hand, it's good simple brutally effective stuff.

NousDefionsDoc
09-11-2006, 19:59
Very generous offer mug, thank you.

Roycroft201
09-11-2006, 23:06
Mugwump,

What a great idea ! The PS.com lending library :D .

I am definitely interested so PM inbound.

Thanks for starting this.

Roycroft201

mugwump
09-12-2006, 08:14
Good job, mugwump. These tapes are OUTSTANDING, they rank right up with McCann's and Cestari's. My training partner is the guy in the BulletMan suit and the REALLY ugly woman in the bathroom scenes. I've met Melissa and seen this material first hand, it's good simple brutally effective stuff.

I agree, great tapes. I got them on your recommendation, thanks! The instruction seems as good as McCann's Combatives (I only wish the gals could follow up Soalt's attacks with McCanns' Defensive Pistol advice: "Don't be shy -- he asked for it, now give it to him!"), but what kicks it up a notch is that the presentation for women is genius. Her psychology background is on full display. Now I need to find some place for the girls to apply these lessons. Still searching.

Very generous offer mug, thank you.

Da nada.

Crime around here consisted of kids tp'ing houses. That is, until a 17 y.o. girl who was in ballet with my daughter since she was six was dragged down from behind on a jogging path, sodomized, and had her throat cut. The animal who did it put his knee in the small of her back and pulled her head back by her hair before the neck cut, which saved her life.

She could have fought this guy off. I went to the creep's sentencing (60 years, he could technically still get out on parole -- third offense and second jogging path attack). He wasn't much bigger than her and she was in much better shape. She's a track star and only need an opening to bolt and she would have been away. (She has the "stuff" -- the girl was tough as nails when testifying: dry-eyed, forceful, organized. )

All of my daughter's posse got Fox Labs pepper spray keychains and have watched these tapes. I'm trying to get hands-on training organized.

mugwump

mugwump
09-12-2006, 08:16
Mugwump,

What a great idea ! The PS.com lending library :D .

I am definitely interested so PM inbound.

Thanks for starting this.

Roycroft201

Roycroft, you are second in line. Number 1 will ship them directly to you if you don't mind. Let me know in your PM.

mugwump

LibraryLady
09-12-2006, 09:15
Mugwump,

I'm sorry this is young girl had to experience this and I'm glad your daughter and her friends are taking steps to protect themselves. Thank you so much for putting this offer out to the ps.com community.

LL

NousDefionsDoc
09-12-2006, 09:17
Guys, don't think that because it is a female, you can't learn anything...

Kyobanim
09-12-2006, 09:35
I'm all about learning something new that I can pass on. PM inbound.

mugwump
09-12-2006, 10:10
Roycroft201 your mailbox is full...trying to PM.

mugwump

MAB32
09-13-2006, 12:54
I'll take a look at them too. Put me down. I am in the process, albeit a slow one, of putting my Robert Taylor and Randy Wanner tapes onto CD. They had a few tapes back in the early to mid 90's called "Unarmed and Fearless". Very good tapes. When this happens I will also post them for loan to PS members only if anybody would be interested.

mugwump
09-14-2006, 15:41
LibraryLady, the tapes went out today. They go to Roycroft201 next, then Kyobanim, then MAB32. MAB32 should post after that to see if anyone else wants them.

I'm bowing out of this process now.

kachingchingpow
09-15-2006, 08:47
I'd like to get in line as well please. My daughter is going on 11, but started training in Brazillian Jiu Jitzu since she was 6. At 8 she was ranked 35th in the nation in the 8yo female division. She's taking a little break from it right now because she's in love with fast pitch softball, but I'd like to see if I can blend what I know with what's taught on those tapes.

LibraryLady
10-02-2006, 11:31
Mugwump asked me to post a one-line review of these tapes. Here's my compliance with this request.

These tapes demonstrate a comprehensive display of physical maneuvers to effectively escape an attacker in a close physical attack.

Now, my comments on the tapes:

Everything Mugwump posted initially in this thread I would agree with. Very impressive tapes, especially the dichotomy of sizes. That helped me, more than anything, since I'm almost her size. I'd like to get them for myself, however they are not available in DVD format. I'll be contacting Ms. Soalt's website with regards to this.

A caution about these tapes. I've learned there are many things you can do to mitigate the circumstances of an attack that don't include actual physical reactions, ie: enhanced SA, mindset, more alert, aggressive appearance, etc. These tapes do not go into detail about this. You see Dr Ruthless using these techniques in the real world examples but they are not addressed explicitly. Consequently, I would not give these tapes to a woman as her initial exposure to improving her self defense capabilities. It's difficult enough to get women to think about her self defense; watching Dr Ruthless show why she deserves her nickname on these tapes could turn women off to this kind of thinking.

I don't have a VCR (or a TV). In trying to find a place to watch the tapes, I asked several of my girlfriends if they were interested in watching, but they used the excuse of 'I don't need this.' :( My 16 yo niece was the only one interested in watching. (her mother was not) Auntie's next task is to find a location for us to practice on a regular basis. :cool:

Cinncinatus: Please tell MG my hat is off to him and all the other men like him who are willing to be punching bags for women to learn to defend themselves. It looked like some of those blows scored, despite the padding.

Roycroft: Tapes should be on their way tomorrow afternoon.

Mugwump: My sincere thanks for providing your tapes to the ps.com community for perusal.

LL

Roycroft201
10-02-2006, 13:56
Thanks, LL. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

In trying to find a place to watch the tapes, I asked several of my girlfriends if they were interested in watching, but they used the excuse of 'I don't need this.' My 16 yo niece was the only one interested in watching. (her mother was not)

Yesterday the body of a 45 y.o. mother of 4 children (ages 4 - 13) was found along the bike path where she frequently went jogging, in a neighboring suburb not far from where I live. Her death is 16 years to the day after a university student was murdered along a bike/jogging path in another suburb. The university student's death was
was linked to attacks on nine other area women between 1986 and 1994. Despite an exhaustive investigation, authorities have not identified the man and have made no arrest.

In the world in which we live, I no longer consider anywhere 100% 'safe'.

I, too, am very grateful to mugwump for lending his tapes, and to the QPs' discussions of information I apply to my everyday life.

Roycroft201

rubberneck
10-02-2006, 17:03
Guys, don't think that because it is a female, you can't learn anything...

After getting smoked by Julie Goloski at this past weekends Ct State IDPA match I learned that lesson first hand. You never know where your next lesson will come from.

blustr18b
10-02-2006, 23:44
I'd like to be next in line for the tapes...have a 15 yr old daughter that could use this kind of advice.
blustar18b

Five-O
10-03-2006, 12:29
Great offer and resource. My niece should be aloud out of the house to date by the time she is 35-36 so she has plenty of time to practice.