Old 05-06-2005, 12:50   #1
ActionJackson
Asset

After Basic

Hi, my name Is Kenny Jackson and I start Basic 06162005. I want to thank you for being the only place (as far as I know) that allows civilians to ask you great men questions about SF and get answers. I realize you men have a very busy scheldule and it is very kind of you to take time out for kids like myself. The origin of this thread is to find out information that no one has been able to grant me. When I went to MEPs, I was dissappointed when I learned that they would not be able to offer SF in my contract due to a past DUI. Then, another felt blow when they informed me they would not be able to offer me Ranger school. I was devestated but I wasn't gonna give up on my dream by these minor details. They told me that almost everyone is offered Ranger school and that it wasn't a big deal because I would easily have an opprotunity at Ranger school. As a SF soldier, what kind of steps would you recommend me take to get a shot at SF? I have yet been able to speak directly to a SF soldier, so again, your response is greatly respected and appreciated.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 14:12   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

AJ:

This lamentable error in judgement is going to continue to haunt you for the rest of your life.

Having said that, do not deny it (or it will be worse), just fess up and avoid alcohol related incidents in the future.

We see a lot of kids with one or two mistakes on their records who straighten up and are selected.

Work on building a history of good performance and no additional drinking problems.

Repeated incidents of the same nature mark you as a person who does not learn from his mistakes and one who is unlikely to be selected, regardless of your performance in SFAS.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 15:00   #3
ActionJackson
Asset

Thank you very much, sir. Your wise words are very encouraging. There's no one night that could possibly be fun/exciting enough to put my life's goals and dreams at risk. Make note of the last name and maybe I'll have the honor of shaking your hand someday.... if I'm lucky! By the way, thanks once more, sir!
Old 05-06-2005, 15:17   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Excellent posts young man. Wherever you end up, soldier hard. Best of luck to you.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 15:18   #5
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Good luck, AJ.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 15:34   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Note to others.

This is how you ask questions, cowboy up, accept responsibility, and get on with your life.

Learn from this, as AJ has.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 05-06-2005, 15:35   #7
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Yeah! Good luck man!
Stay sharp!
Old 05-06-2005, 15:37   #8
ActionJackson
Asset

Thank you very much, sir. I appreciate both posts. I'm gonna' turn that phrase into my favorite. That one's gonna' stay with me all the way through! Thanks again, sir.
Old 05-06-2005, 15:55   #9
ActionJackson
Asset

Thanks to the others, too! Ya'll posted faster than I could reply. I really appreciate the support; God knows I'm not getting any (support) from my mom and girlfriend!
Old 05-06-2005, 15:57   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Don't mess up a good thing by starting to whine about women. Let it go and move on. Go post a joke in the comedy forum.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 15:59   #11
alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Don't mess up a good thing by starting to whine about women.
Listen to NDD .

FrontSight
Old 05-06-2005, 16:10   #12
ActionJackson
Asset

Sorry sir. Affirmative.
Old 05-06-2005, 18:03   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson
Sorry sir. Affirmative.
That is him.

Mr. FrontSight.

But you don't have to listen to his advice. Ever.

TR

Old 05-06-2005, 18:35   #14
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
That is him.

Mr. FrontSight.

But you don't have to listen to his advice. Ever.

TR
LMAO!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 18:48   #15
alphamale

Brat !!!

TR, as previously established, you are just jealous of my smooth cylinder.

People email me "Sir, Bro" etc., about knife stuff and I never correct them. I figure it makes my muscle striations bigger.

Although with all the duct tape suggestions from that other topic, that could work too.

FrontSight