Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-12-2010, 19:31   #1
PriestFoxley
Asset

I want electronic ear protection.

I got my first set of electronic earpro a few months back, and I love them. they flipflop from my range bag to my assault pack on a regular basis, but I started learning things from hard use.

Mine are cheap ($70) impact sport earmuffs that sorta/kinda fit under the current issue ACH, but there is a bit of a tight fit. Any time I go to a sporting goods store I look like an idiot for carrying an ACH in to test fit, and I never find a good set anyway.

See, my set has an auto-shut off feature after four hours, and I know I can find a set that works a bit better.

I am regular army, so swapping out the ACH for a better helmet is out of the question. I already ditched the bullshit harness for one of those Ops-core sets. (I am left handed, so trying to get a cheek weld past that buckle was a pain.)

I am not worried about price. getting the right stuff means not bitching about how much it costs, so if you guys could point me in the direction of a good set of combat electronic ear pro, I would be really grateful.

Last edited by PriestFoxley; 03-12-2010 at 19:47.
PriestFoxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 20:41   #2
koz
Quiet Professional

For a lower cost set - Peltor Tac6. I've had great luck with a set of Peltor Comtac's. MSA Sordin makes some good muffs as well - but I've never used them.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 20:59   #3
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I've got the Sordins - nice - and expensive too. Check with Grey Group; they'll hook you up.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 21:04   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Sordins from TCI.

You might use the Search button and find out more.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:45   #5
jatx
Area Commander

Sordins are great...if you get some, look into the replacement ear gels. They make a big difference once you've had them on all day.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:39   #6
PriestFoxley
Asset

great advice. Thanks, everyone.
PriestFoxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24   #7
ccrn
Guerrilla

About dBA or dBC

Greetings all-
I was following this thread with some interest as hearing protecting is very important to me.

I too am interested in electronic hearing pro but it is a bit expensive for me at this time and Il lbe issued the Peltors when I deploy.

Ive used the foam earplugs and issue triple flanges we all recieve from the Army or see on the range. And I use a pair of civilian passive muffs that are rated 31 NNR when shooting on my own.

Ive looked at all the above mentioned products, ones Ive used, and the OSHA stats on hearing protection and thought I'd post some interesting factoids:

OSHA forumla for rating hearing pro
X= dBA - NNR - 7
X = dBC - NRR
So with an estimated dBA of 150 for a gunshot using the Sordins rated at NNR 18 dB that would be 139 = 150 - [18 - 7]. So thats still a large amount of dB to be exposed to. Occupational hazard I suppose.

Because NRR are determined in controlled labratory environments OSHA recommended adjustment for work place conditions subtracts 50% from that figure so you would end up with only about an NNR of 6.
X = 150dBA - [(NNR - 7) x 50%] would be a dBA of 144 which is still within the realm of pain and injury when exposed to the sound of a larger caibre gunshot.

Someting else I found intersting was their rating for double protection. They only ad an NRR of 5 for the second protection device worn which would be
X = 150dBA - [(NRR-7) x %50] + 5. That would bring the dBA to 139 which is far higher than the dBA90 recommended by OSHA and touted by most manufactorers of hearing protection.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/noi...stimation.html we can take OSHA with a grain of salt of course but withoug looking CDC and other sources its the only thing I have at this time. EPA ratings for NRR go back to 1981 BTW.

If Ive misinterpreted this information somebody please sqaure me away!

Some NRR ratings for hearing pro:

Sordin 18dBA
Peltor 21dBA
Surefire EP4 19dBA
Combat Plugs (Green-Yellow) 22dBA/25dBA
Hex Foam 29dBA
Triple Flange Issue 26 dBA
Round Yellow Foam 19-28 dBA fit depending
Old 03-23-2010, 11:46   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I usually use the triple flange under the Sordins for shooting anything over 7.62, unless I am running a suppressor.

Good reason to buy a can.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 17:46   #9
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

I just got a pair of Sordin MSA's they are the cats ass!

I have burned through two pair of peltors, but these Sordins are twice as comfy and the sound quality is ridiculous... I never thought electronic ears could be so clean and clear.

The price may make you wince but trust me you will not be disappointed.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 21:59   #10
jatx
Area Commander

Flanged earplugs under Sordins are not a bad idea, as TR stated. You can crank up the volume enough to hear speech and still get the required noise reduction. If I go run drills on my SBR using just the Sordins, I end up with a splitting headache...
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 21:42   #11
english kanigit
Asset

Sordins. They only hurt once and that's when you buy them.

The cost is soon forgotten with the daily use of quality gear. Get the gel ear cushions as well, they are awesome.

Ek
Personally, I'm interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process. -- James Lileks
english kanigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 14:44   #12
ZoneOne
Auxiliary

To anyone that has the Sordins with Dual Com capability, any tips to securing the extra cable when only running it on only one net? Zip ties? It seems to get in the way for me and I've considered cutting it but I'm not a fan of making such a permanent alteration.
ZoneOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 18:14   #13
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneOne View Post
To anyone that has the Sordins with Dual Com capability, any tips to securing the extra cable when only running it on only one net? Zip ties? It seems to get in the way for me and I've considered cutting it but I'm not a fan of making such a permanent alteration.
Yeah, I run a dual com to monitor two freaks, run the other cord over the head set under the velcro. You may have to take the top pad off in your ACH/MICH and create a channel to run it.

The only problem I found with running ear pro under your electronic ear pro is that it's very hard to differenate when you're being shot at. I only tried them once and after I got into my first TIC, I shit canned them for better SA.

Having ear pro is a must whether it's electronic or not. I took quite a few IED's and having those electronic ear pros saved my ears and I just passed a new MFF Physcial for MFF JM with no hearing damage. On the other end, I got guys on my team with hearing damage from IED's. and TIC's (which was before I got the nod to become the Z). Now, I just have to find a way to have comms and still do meet and greets in low vis.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 23:51   #14
Bushranger
Asset

ear pro

I personally hate Peltors, that metal strip is killing my head, especially under helmet. I ended up using just common headset and surefire earplugs under it, just on the half way in on my non-shooting side. I am looking for device which is size of earplugs and have electronic ambient hearing, and there are some on the market. Do somebody have extensive practical experience with these?
PS: Sorry for my grammar

Last edited by Bushranger; 06-28-2011 at 23:49. Reason: grammar
Bushranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 20:14   #15
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Just got gel cups for my Sordins. (Thanks Grey Group!) WTF didn't they come with them in the first place? Just as expensive (relatively, given that it's only the "hygiene" kit) as the original earmuffs but a significant improvement.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote