Old 09-06-2006, 13:17   #1
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

NJP, anyone?

I realize this isn't a very good mark in my favor. I am facing a possible NJP, depending on what kind of mood my XO is in. I'm looking at possible reduction in rate to E4, and some time on restriction. I'm AD Navy right now, and I know that to attend BUD/S, you have to have a waiver for any NJP in the last 3 years. I am planning to move over to the MS Army National Guard, hopefully to join the ranks of 20th Group, early next year. Is there any sort of waiver requirement to attend SFAS and SFQC with an NJP in my service record? If so, can I begin applying for the waiver while I'm still in the Navy? I spoke to someone at 20th Group, but he didn't seem to know. I'll still be leaving the Navy with an Honorable discharge, and an RE code of 1, if that helps. Thanks in advance for any information.

IT2(SW)
Irishsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 13:30   #2
x SF med
Quiet Professional

OK, fess up. What did you do to rate the possibility of NJP? The seriousness of the offense may have some play? Also type - did you strike an officer or Sr NCO, did you willfully disregard an order, did you fall asleep on guard, did you create a safety or health hazard?

Can't answer without some general background of the incident.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 15:19   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

IIRC, you will need a waiver, and a separation shortly afterwards, whatever the reason without sufficient time to prove that it was an abberration and you have "soldiered out ot it" will not help.

Frankly, most times it indicates a lack of maturity, a serious personal problem, an inability to follow instructions, a lack of SA, or a combination of the above.

Not sure how the Navy does it, but you might consider asking for a local unofficial punishment that will not appear on your record.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 15:53   #4
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Ok...time to, as you put it, fess up: I got drunk, (thus the "lack of maturity") and got a tongue ring. Article 92. Failure to obey a direct and lawful order. It's nothing "serious," and yet, still shows a willful disobedience of an established rule. The tongue ring has since been removed, and will not be replaced. Beyond that, for the past 3 years, my record has been excellent. E1-E5 in less than 3 years, consistent Early Promote evals. Junior Sailor of the Quarter, Junior Sailor of the Year, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, not one single disciplinary action ever taken before this. Hopefully, this will reflect in my favor, and help to offset the bad mark of an NJP. Then again, as I said, I have no experience with disciplinary action, or how it might affect my plans, except that if I'm sent to NJP, I will not be allowed to go to Iraq to finish my enlistment as an Individual Augmentee to the Army or Marine Corps. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience, gentlemen. I truly appreciate it.
Old 09-06-2006, 16:07   #5
x SF med
Quiet Professional

You risked your career for a tongue ring?
Just drop and move Norfolk to Okinawa.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 17:40   #6
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Duly noted. While it's not a "serious" offense, so to speak, it does show a lot of stupidity. I took a stupid risk...I got caught, and now I'm prepared to accept the consequences. On the other hand, I'm not going to give up on my dream, because of a moment of absolute stupidity. I will still pursue Special Forces, with all due vigor. Once again, thank you for your help, gentlemen.
Old 09-06-2006, 17:54   #7
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Most of the QP's here know that I have been the subject of 2 Article 32 investigations, I was cleared each time, but I think it cost me in the long run!

I threw a POS off the top of a bunker in VN, 1966; it was the third time I had caught him asleep on guard duty. I would do it again, and it wasn't for something as ludicrous as a "tongue ring"!

Best of luck to you, but I have no sympathy, seems like a stupid a$$ thing to do!
Old 09-06-2006, 18:00   #8
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET
Best of luck to you, but I have no sympathy, seems like a stupid a$$ thing to do!
I don't ask for sympathy, and wouldn't accept it if it was given. I have no problem earning my own way, and working just as hard as I have to in order to attain my goals. I've never quit anything yet. I just needed to find out about that waiver, since the gentleman I spoke to from 20th Group didn't seem to know.

Was the tongue ring stupid? Absolutely. And I have no excuse for it. I can not go back and undo what I did...all I can do is work hard enough to make up for it.

I'm going to try to get some chow and secure for rack ops before I go on watch. You gentlemen have yourselves a great evening.
Old 09-06-2006, 18:15   #9
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
I threw a POS off the top of a bunker in VN, 1966; it was the third time I had caught him asleep on guard duty.
That's all you did? You must have been in a good mood that day; that loser got off light!
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 18:19   #10
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsquid
I don't ask for sympathy, and wouldn't accept it if it was given. I have no problem earning my own way, and working just as hard as I have to in order to attain my goals. I've never quit anything yet. I just needed to find out about that waiver, since the gentleman I spoke to from 20th Group didn't seem to know.

Was the tongue ring stupid? Absolutely. And I have no excuse for it. I can not go back and undo what I did...all I can do is work hard enough to make up for it.

I'm going to try to get some chow and secure for rack ops before I go on watch. You gentlemen have yourselves a great evening.

It would seem as if you did not care for my response. So be it!

That response came from my years in uniform (20 years active duty) as a senior NCO, CW3, and O. As stated I did a few dumb things, and I never rose above 03 because of it. There is always a price to pay if you choose to pick and choose which rules you obey!
Old 09-06-2006, 18:24   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

When I was a Sluggo, Richmond Nail once told me, "I wouldn't have a troop on my Team that didn't have at least an Article 15." So I went out and got me one.

It wasn't for a "tongue ring" - I got mine for some manly shit. But then again, I was never a Squid.

Get your 1Sgt to square it for you with the XO. Then go get a gross of steel wire brushes and start scrubbing rust to square it with the 1Sgt (or whatever you squids call them). Offer to do Quarterdeck on Christmas and New Year and tell him that you realize your relief for extra duty hasn't been born yet.

Dude, getting NJP'd for a tongue ring is gay. Look -
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 18:25   #12
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon65
That's all you did? You must have been in a good mood that day; that loser got off light!
The first time I relieved him, wrote him up, and nothing happened, second time I invited to meet me behind the operations tent w/out his shirt, I removed mine and invited him to kick my a$$, he failed miserably. Third time I threw him off the top of a 2 story bunker, really shattered the heck out of his arm!
Old 09-06-2006, 19:21   #13
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Quote:
getting NJP'd for a tongue ring is gay.
I agree!

Beg for forgivness, make a deal with the senior NCO and pray the Navy cuts you a break.

Tongue rings...I can't figure out which is worse, getting one or getting riled up about one!!!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 20:26   #14
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

For the civilians on the board . . .

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/questions/njp.html

Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 23:18   #15
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
It would seem as if you did not care for my response. So be it!

That response came from my years in uniform (20 years active duty) as a senior NCO, CW3, and O. As stated I did a few dumb things, and I never rose above 03 because of it. There is always a price to pay if you choose to pick and choose which rules you obey!
Actually, your response was right on. I was only stating that your lack of sympathy is not something I regard as a bad thing. I don't ask for sympathy, and I certainly don't ask for respect if I can't earn it.