Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 05-21-2006, 00:23   #1
12B4S
Quiet Professional

7th Army NCO Academy... Flint

Anyone else out here, that was stationed at Flint Kaserne attend the above Academy?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:41   #2
bost1751
Quiet Professional

Brad:

The NCO academy changed to PLDC or something like that when the Army modified the NCOES system years ago. For that reason several SF guys, lower ranks, should have attended it.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 14:58   #3
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Nope!!! We avoided it like the plague. IIRC they tried to send personnel accepted to OCS prior to shipping.

OTOH I attended the "Combat Arms Communications Officer Course" conducted by 7th Army at PHK. I made honor grad as a SSG - the only EM in the course. One of the students made a real monkey out of himself by complaining it wasn't fair.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 15:57   #4
FILO
Guerrilla

My dad attended the academy at Flint in 1958. Said it was one tough school!
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 20:22   #5
12B4S
Quiet Professional

They keep changing things on me bost. I think they tried to always send two of us from Flint to each class. Since we were in the same Kaserne and all.

QRQ. I wanted nothing to do with it. I had only been at Flint for a couple months and assigned to a new and the last Team, that was being formed, minding my own damn business, when I received the orders. I must have read them ten times, thinking it was a mistake. I went through the chain of command as far as I could, trying to get out of it. Yeah. Fat chance. The Army had already tossed me into a three week type NCO course right after AIT. Here, I thought I was headed to Benning for Jump School and find myself shanghai'd. That came as a surprise as well.

Must have been a tough school FILO. Somehow, I finished as honor graduate.
Actually, I don't remember thinking of it as tough. Just having to be there was tough and I had just graduated from SFTG only a few months prior. EVERYTHING seemed easier after that.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:10   #6
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

As I recall, there was a monument in the NCOA corner of the quad. that had a miniature tank. I believe it was one of the decoys dropped on D-Day. The brass plaque was almways being polishid by someone. I would love to have had a concession on Brasso.

I also recall that their floors were the shiniest I have ever seen. CRS if they were concrete or tiled. The rooms had hardwood floors. Today they may use poly-urethane but in those days it was Johnson's paste wax and elbow grease.

misery is optional.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:08   #7
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
As I recall, there was a monument in the NCOA corner of the quad. that had a miniature tank. I believe it was one of the decoys dropped on D-Day. The brass plaque was almways being polishid by someone. I would love to have had a concession on Brasso.

I also recall that their floors were the shiniest I have ever seen. CRS if they were concrete or tiled. The rooms had hardwood floors. Today they may use poly-urethane but in those days it was Johnson's paste wax and elbow grease.
I'm trying to recall from memory, but was the NCOA corner of the quad at the northeast side? When I was at Flint for JM school we stayed on the east side up on the second floor. Our classes were held in the small building outside of the quad on the south side. Also IIRC, the messhall was on the ground floor of the southwest corner and the German Restaraunt was on the second floor at the southeast corner. It's been over 20 years, so my memory may be off.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:43   #8
lksteve
Quiet Professional

the little tank...

got BTFU in the Fall of 1980...some poor schmuck in HHC wanted to impress the A-team guys, it seems...he "found" a claymore mine, put it under the tank and set it off...blew out quite a few windows on the NE side of the quad...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:55   #9
bost1751
Quiet Professional

IKSteve

I recall the "blowing up the tank" incident. I caused quite a stir. Actually it was pretty comical too. There were more rumors floating around about who did it. Most of the rumors were pretty fitting too.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:25   #10
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bost1751
I recall the "blowing up the tank" incident. I caused quite a stir. Actually it was pretty comical too. There were more rumors floating around about who did it. Most of the rumors were pretty fitting too.
my most vivid recollection is the numerous "health and welfare" inspections in the team rooms and storage rooms in the housing area...it seems the source of the munition of choice was deemed to be either of those places...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 05-22-2006, 13:26   #11
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

The corner I mentioned would have been to the left as you entered the quad.

Basically, the 7th Army was on the left and Group was on the right. The NCO club was in the far left corner and the EM club was in the far right. That wing straight ahead also had the American Express bank, mess halls, and PX, on various floors.

misery is optional.

Old 05-22-2006, 13:30   #12
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The corner I mentioned would have been to the left as you entered the quad.

Basically, the 7th Army was on the left and Group was on the right. The NCO club was in the far left corner and the EM club was in the far right. That wing straight ahead also had the American Express bank, mess halls, and PX, on various floors.
correct...except that the NCO Club was the Community Club when i got there, the EM club was the snack bar and the Officers' Club was the Supper Club...American Express was on the ground floor...there was an additional building of new construction behind the Quad and that was the 7th Army classroom...
Old 05-22-2006, 17:09   #13
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
you are 100% correct QRQ. They were the shiniest floors known to mankind. I know, because I spent many an hour on hands and knees with that Johnson's Paste wax applying it with cotton balls. Every student did. The floors were a combination of concrete and tiles. The tiles lined either side of the main floor which was concrete like. That shiny, black part of the floor was called the 'autobahn'. No one was allowed to walk on it. You walked up and down the hall along the tiles at the side, which were about a foot or so wide. They were a reddish color.
Old 05-22-2006, 22:01   #14
Hugh
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
That shiny, black part of the floor was called the 'autobahn'. No one was allowed to walk on it. You walked up and down the hall along the tiles at the side, which were about a foot or so wide. They were a reddish color.
This was still true when I attended PLDC there in 1989, and by that time the floors had a bit of a crown or hump in the middle from the years of Paste wax build up... And that Damn Tank was still out there....
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 22:20   #15
12B4S
Quiet Professional

LOL. I imagine it was Hugh. I wonder how many layers down mine were. I graduated from there 3/70.