Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 04-15-2013, 14:32   #76
Rob_Frey
Guerrilla

"The Boys of '67; Charlie Company's War in Vietnam" by Andrew Wiest.

It's a good book about a group of guys who were drafted at the same time and trained together and went to Vietnam as a unit (9th Division) like in WWII. They were in the Delta in the Mobile Riverine Force (MRF).
Rob_Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 20:39   #77
MR2
Quiet Professional

Talk about a Oxymoron

Journalism Ethics and Regulation - Chris Frost (2011) 3E

From the jacket:
Technology, and the democratising of news gathering, continue to change traditional journalistic practice making the path through ethical and regulatory frameworks tough to negotiate. As high-profile celebrity cases such as Max Mosley's vividly illustrate, conflicts between the law, ethics and the public's right and desire to be informed are not easily resolved. This comprehensive volume addresses the ethical considerations, dilemmas and challenges the practising journalist faces, each minute, every day. Providing context and practical advice, it explores an area of crucial importance for the 21st century, thoroughly equipping the reader with the information and tools to negotiate this challenging area knowledgeably, practically and responsibly. This book has been written for students and trainee journalists, working journalists and editors, and indeed for any student of the media.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 15:51   #78
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

The Moro War-James R. Arnold

Good stuff about Wood, Pershing, Bullard and others in there, as well as a few good examples that led up to everybody grabbing up .45's.
Old 05-06-2013, 22:26   #79
dcrews46
Asset

For those of you interested in military and world history, I just stumbled across Dan Carlin's The Wrath of the Khans which is a five part "mini-series" of his Hardcore History podcast. While I'm not technically "reading" it now, I've found the audiobook-style presentation great to listen to during work outs, car rides, or any time I need to kill a couple minutes not practical for reading.

Carlin goes into graphic detail of the brillance and brutality of Genghis Khan and his conquest of Central Asia, focusing on the evolution of the Mongolian heavy cavalry and the complete and utter destruction left in the wake of their battles. He takes a interesting angle in refuting what he calls revisionist history of the Mongolians and their "contributions" to the modern world. I found some of his historical accounts truly shocking. He argues that much of the current conflict in the Middle East can be attributed to the Mongolian conquest nearly 900 years ago.

It is a very interesting listen and I plan to explore some of the other topics Carlin discusses on his podcast.
dcrews46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:32   #80
MR2
Quiet Professional

America's First Frogman: The Draper Kauffman Story - Elizabeth Kauffman Bush (2004)

Although bad eyesight kept him from receiving a commission in the U.S. Navy when he graduated from the Naval Academy in 1933, Draper Kauffman became a hero of underwater demolition in World War II and went on to a distinguished naval career. Today Admiral Kauffman is remembered as the nation's first frogman and the father of the Navy SEALs. His spectacular wartime service disarming enemy bombs, establishing bomb disposal schools, and organizing and leading the Navy's first demolition units is the focus of this biography written by Kauffman's sister. Elizabeth Kauffman Bush, who also is the aunt of President George W. Bush, draws on family papers as well as Navy documents to tell Kauffman's story for the first time.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:46   #81
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

Good reads...

"Utmost Savagery: The Three Days of Tarawa" by Col. Joseph H. Alexander USMC (ret.)

"Stealth Jihad" by Robert Spencer

Let me add one I just finished:

"The Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of WWII's Greatest Rescue" by Hampton Sides
(The raid at Cabanatuan)

Last edited by Stobey; 05-12-2013 at 12:49.
Stobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 19:18   #82
craigepo
Quiet Professional

The Miracle of Father Kapaun; Priest, Soldier, and Korean War Hero

Just finished The Miracle of Father Kapaun; Priest, Soldier and Korean War Hero. Very interesting story of an Army chaplain who refused to leave his troops, was captured, and eventually died in a North Korean POW camp.

Amazing tales of how this guy took care of troops, both on the battlefield and later during horrible conditions in the POW camp.

Father Kapaun was awarded the Medal of Honor in April, 2013, and is presently being considered for sainthood by the Catholic church.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:12   #83
MR2
Quiet Professional

Control: Exposing the Truth about Guns - Glenn Beck (2013)

Excellent resource with links for reference. Get the electronic version for all the links.

Old 05-28-2013, 14:29   #84
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, by Laura Hillenbrand.

Several people here have recommended it, and I do too. Hillenbrand's style of narrative story-telling was riveting. I haven't read a book this compelling in a long time.

Unbroken - the title says it all about Louis Zamperini.

Susan
Old 06-13-2013, 19:22   #85
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

The Navigator by Michael Pocalyko

Michael Pocalyko, a retired USN CMDR and personal friend for 15 years, has written an exciting financial thriller, The Navigator. Beginning in the Cold War era this is a particularly timely story of the confluence of big money, big government, and information technology. Ironic that The Navigator was released for sale at the time of the NSA leak.

The Navigator is available at Amazon.

I give it 5 Green Berets
Old 06-30-2013, 00:52   #86
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Gettng ready for Normandy

I'll be in Normandy for the 70th anniversary of D-Day next year. I'm no stranger to WWII history, but I am no historian nor arm chair expert either. I am beginning my preparations with Stephen E. Ambrose's Citizen Soldiers.

From what I hear, this will be the last big commemoration put on by the French government due to the age of the survivors. The youngest veterans will be almost 90 years old. I pray some veterans will make the trip and this is the reason I am going in early June. Around me their money will be no good.
Old 07-02-2013, 20:46   #87
semper.porro
SF Candidate

guns, germs, and steel
I highly recommend
semper.porro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 17:26   #88
uplink5
Quiet Professional

"Moment Of Battle"
The twenty clashes that changed the world.

Just started it and is so far, a good read....

Thomas Jefferson

"The scene changes but the aspirations of men of good will persist."

Vannevar Bush
uplink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:39   #89
Toaster
Guerrilla

The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas

A brief and powerful book. It opened my eyes to what oppression looks like from a first hand account. Shows the value of education in liberating someone's mind.

Now on to Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Another great book.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32   #90
Richard
Quiet Professional

Boot, Max. Invisible Armies: An Epic History of Guerrilla Warfare From Ancient Ties To The Present. Liveright Publishing, NY; 2013.

Strongman, Jay. STEAMPUNK: The Art of Victorian Futurism. Korero Books, London; 2011.
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote