Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 02-03-2014, 14:18   #151
akv
Area Commander

The Long Arms

The Long Arms by Michael Kanaly.

A novel about early humans told from the perspective of an old Neanderthal hunter. It describes in visceral detail the trials and tribulations of prehistoric life. The story tells how the initial co-existence between a Neanderthal tribe and their Cro Magnon neighbors (The Long Arms) evolved into all out war over hunting resources and cultural differences. I really enjoyed it.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 14:31   #152
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Undaunted Courage- Stephen Ambrose.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 15:03   #153
Flagg
Area Commander

Finished David Kilcullen's "Out of the Mountains".

I would recommend it, even for those on the forum with a broad and deep knowledge base of irregular warfare.

4 major themes:

Population growth
Mass urbanization
Littoralization
Connectivity

The way I perceive it is Kilcullen is trying to set himself up as a 21st century megaslum city planner in a world he envisions to be something along the lines of Gangs of New York, meets Mogadishu, mixed with BladeRunner.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 13:24   #154
JumpingIowa
Asset

Ive been reading Chosen Soldier by Dick Couch. Its a really interesting look into the SFAS process and the Q course. I haven't finished it yet so I cant speak as to the later parts of the course but it is a really interesting read.
JumpingIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 23:02   #155
Toaster
Guerrilla

Recently finished The Gun by C.J. Chivers, great book on the AK

Just finished "Living with Honor" by Salvatore Giunta
Great read, incredibly honest, graphic to the point of conveying the point, not to excess. I think he did an adequate job explaining military terminology and lifestyle to civilians so they can understand. Probably won't ever ask the wife to read it.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 15:39   #156
Stiletto11
Guerrilla

Just started Disinformation by Lt Gen Ion Mihai Pacepa

J. Albert Nock

Don’t let facts interfere with your insanity
Stiletto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 17:11   #157
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

"The Guns At Last Light" by Rick Atkinson. 3rd in his series. Excellent, so far.
Old 02-20-2014, 21:16   #158
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Social Network Analysis for Startups: Finding connections on the social web

Social Network Analysis for Startups: Finding connections on the social web
By Maksim Tsvetovat and Alexander Kouznetsov

http://books.google.com/books?id=Tn-...ed=0CBoQ6AEwBQ

https://github.com/maksim2042/SNABook

I posted this same review in the 18F thread so it can be found easier. Great book that is well thought out and is useful both as an overview of network analysis and as a practical application of Social Networks' Analysis methodology. Great book covering introduction of Social Network Analysis in very simple language. Book not only talks methodology but also give hands on practice sessions on the concepts using Python code. Which I don't have a great understanding on and wished the Authors used NetworkX or some kind of AnB chart linkage chart or other diagram to show the code. But if you understand how to tweek Twitter API, then you will grasp the Python code. But the overall book is extremely detailed and nicely done in the principles for conducting social network analysis (SNA). The applications are tangible and well-explained for beginners. There is a learning involved in this analysis field, but it's worth the persistence in learning. The one "thing" I like about this book is it opens your thinking that SNA isn't just about Facebook or Twitter, it's about how people are a network and how they tie together. Book covers how to recognize online com- munities, and study the anatomy of those social communities and how they use a viral video or get a flashmob going or planned. If you see a need for looking at social media networks, then I say you should look at this book.

Okay so I liked this first book so will started reading the follow up book:

Mining the Social Web: Data Mining Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, GitHub, and More
Matthew A. Russell

http://ftp.newtek.com/pub/reads/Mini...atthew%20A.pdf

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 14:01   #159
MAB32

A basic put-out PDF file from the book, "Weird scenes inside Laurel Canyon". It is from what I understand to be the pre-book format for the previously mentioned book. This book entails a fascinating look at the spooky an surreal happenings in the late 1950's and throughout the 1960's of some bands and members of bands and how they all came to Laurel Canyon to write music, play, and sing music under very suspicious circumstances. Some of the people mentioned here, albeit, most of, were strange in their own right or were victims of somebody in their family who committed suicide whether it was on purpose and/or they had assistance. ( my meaning here is the old adage of "He/She committed suicide by shooting themselves three times in the head."):

-The Byrds
-Three Dog Night,
-Jackson Browne
-Dennis Hopper
-Jack Nicholson
-Peter Fonda
-Henry Fonda
-Harry Houldinin
-Carole King
-Joni Mitchell
-David Crosby
-Stephen Stills
-The Monkeys
-Frank Zappa
-Joan Baez
-Beach Boys, especially Brian Wison
-Art Linkletter
-Jay Sebring

and the list goes on and on.

But as you read this PDF version here you will find one person who was a friend with all of the above and the rest of the names. He was considered by most in the beginnings as an awesomely gifted, musician, songwriter, and guitar player by all who lived there. He is the glue on which Laurel Canyon stayed together. His name is.........Charles Manson.

Here it is for all to read:

www.conspirazzi.com/e-books/inside-the-lc.pdf

Last edited by MAB32; 03-09-2014 at 14:11.
Old 03-09-2014, 14:08   #160
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
-Art Linkletter
THE spookiest...
Old 03-09-2014, 14:09   #161
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

This thread slipped my mind.

"Guests of the Ayatollah" by Mark Bowden.

Everybody under 40 should read this book, IMO.
Old 03-09-2014, 14:29   #162
MAB32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
THE spookiest...

Oh, it gets better with the names of people mentioned. Art Lost a daughter who hung around in Laurel Canyon with these folks. She jumped out her 6th floor apartment under some very bizarre circumstances according to witnesses.

You'll find allot of these people came from family who were involved in military intelligence during WWII and after.

John Phillips from the Mamas and the Papas was a notorious woman beater, heavy drinker and LSD user who got his own daughter pregnant through an incestuous affair. Manson was considered to be one heck of nice guy and a joy to be around until 1968. His "crew so-to-speak" were all staying in Laurel Canyon frequently before that year. Some were guests of Peter Tork (The Monkeys), Frank Zappa, Cass Elliot (She is a very spooky dude, I mean dudette). And the hits just keep coming...
Old 03-09-2014, 14:33   #163
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
Oh, it gets better with the names of people mentioned. Art Lost a daughter who hung around in Laurel Canyon with these folks. She jumped out her 6th floor apartment under some very bizarre circumstances according to witnesses.

You'll find allot of these people came from family who were involved in military intelligence during WWII and after.

John Phillips from the Mamas and the Papas was a notorious woman beater, heavy drinker and LSD user who got his own daughter pregnant through an incestuous affair. Manson was considered to be one heck of nice guy and a joy to be around until 1968. His "crew so-to-speak" were all staying in Laurel Canyon frequently before that year. Some were guests of Peter Tork (The Monkeys), Frank Zappa, Cass Elliot (She is a very spooky dude, I mean dudette). And the hits just keep coming...
Probably just a bad batch of acid.
Old 03-09-2014, 14:40   #164
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Probably just a bad batch of acid.
You beat me to it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 15:59   #165
MAB32

Was there ever a "good" batch...