Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Comedy Zone

Old 04-24-2024, 21:58   #1
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

Thought you guys might enjoy this

I thought you guys might get a chuckle out of this. This picture was from blogger Raconteur Report's post of 4/12/24. (I got back on the site not too long ago to do a bit of reading and found this pic.) Here is the thread link. RR can be funny.

https://raconteurreport.blogspot.com...-f-squids.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4_12_24.jpg (55.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:04   #2
Box
Quiet Professional

If you know - you know.

When Sailors are doing marksmanship training at sea, they have to shoot off the side of the deck. Because of this, it is quite common to be shooting at distances of well inside 25 meters. This makes it almost impossible to train with magnified optics. To remedy the short coming, they spin the scope around backwards so that everything has the appearance of being MUCH farther away...

...aaaaand * BOOM * goes the dynamite.

Now with the scope reversed, they can do operator style sniper training right off the side of the deck.

We mock what we don't understand.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 18:32   #3
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

OK. Thank you for the information. That is something I didn't know. But do they do that with the lens cap still on?
Old 04-25-2024, 20:34   #4
Box
Quiet Professional

The lens caps on these Naval optics are designed with a small pinhole in the lens cap. When you are shooting on the open sea, the objective lens of a reverse-mounted optic collects too much light and distorts the image...

I feel like you are fucking with me - this is all pretty common knowledge - and with the internet, you should be able to pull all of this up from the naval armorer's marksmanship training while underway handbook.

C'mon man
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

Old 04-25-2024, 21:10   #5
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

No, I'm not fucking with you, Box. I didn't know about the pinhole in the lens cover either. Sorry I brought it up. Didn't mean to offend you.
Old 04-25-2024, 22:04   #6
Box
Quiet Professional

So...
I jumped on the internet and did some research - and it seems as though that picture really is nothing more complicated than some dumbass sailor with the scope mounted backward ass he blindly popping off a few rounds with the lens cap in place...

Looks like you were right all along !!!

I should have known that anything posted in "The Comedy Zone" is very possibly just a load of shenanigans drenched in sarcasm...
...I also learned that you should never mix cough syrup, 'Ole Smoky' Moonshine Marinated Marshino Cherries, and Jameson Irish Whisky when you are posting about small arms on an internet bulletin board.

Old 04-25-2024, 23:42   #7
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

Box, if Uncle Sam really knew you, they would have never allowed you to spend your career in a 18 series position. They could cancel all USO events and turned you loose on the troops everywhere. I’m confident that you would have kept everyone in stitches! … assuming that you’d not be cancelled….

In the spirit of posting while intoxicated …Typing this one in a bar SOTB , after waaay too much tequila.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:25   #8
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1987 View Post
… assuming that you’d not be cancelled….
The Boxen would never allow it.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 06:29   #9
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1987 View Post
Box, if Uncle Sam really knew you...
Bro - you should know - Uncle Sam knows me.

He knows exactly who I am and exactly where to send the men in black when it is time to round up me and my kind. That knowledge is the only ting that keeps my posts sane.
I think the only reason Uncle Same let me be an 18' for so long is because he felt it was better for me to channel my shenanigans towards those OUTSIDE of the perimeter.

Think about that for a second...
...I think my posts on this board are sane.

I hold back the REAL content for face to face interactions because I know there are dark forces lurking that can identify me in a lineup should my posts get "out of hand"
...you have NO idea the kind of shenanigans that would unfold if I wasn't scared to death of Uncle Same.

SCARED.TO.DEATH.
...of uncle sam
...and his minions
...and the fact that a Naval Officer with scrambled eggs on the bill of their baseball hat, was photographed with the scope mounted backwards on their weapon, the lens caps down, all the while having AT LEAST two pieces of brass in the air while their finger is still on the trigger.
THAT definitely scares the shit out of me - because they are leading Sailors.
(I used 'they/their' because I dont want to assume gender)

Old 04-26-2024, 14:47   #10
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Great Friday thread.

LHC
Old 05-07-2024, 08:21   #11
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobey View Post
No, I'm not fucking with you, Box. I didn't know about the pinhole in the lens cover either. Sorry I brought it up. Didn't mean to offend you.
You do realize this is the Comedy Thread?
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote