Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2012, 02:23   #1
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

What Are You Reading Now...? II

I love the idea of the original thread. However, after six years and over 50 pages perhaps we should start anew? Mods, if this idea sucks please place this thread in the hall along with my ruck.

What I'm reading now:
The Fall of the Roman Empire, A New History of Rome and the Barbarians by Peter Heather. Excellent, but not a bedtime read. Pinheads like me gotta focus on weighty material like this while wide awake. Working my way through this as I have time. It seems the thesis concerns Rome not falling under its own exesss but that the "barbarians" might have been better than history has given credit. Also, it seems "too big to fail" might have been tested a long time ago.

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell- still reading this (bedtime read) and having some issues with mindset. Not picking a fight with my amphibious bretheren, but I see a definite difference in how we think. During SFQC we were never told we were invincible. I have yet to reach the final tragic battle but I have nothing but respect for those who paid the ulitmate price for us. Also, I understand Marcus is doing great work with his foundation. I applaud that and we have made a contribution.

What are you reading?