Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 07-30-2004, 21:07   #61
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Fox
Under the Roman Empire a sleeping sentry was sentenced to death.
Also could be on the frontier in the early 1800s within the US Army (just read about it in 'Undaunted Courage').
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:08   #62
monkeydan
Asset

Quote:
I've been doing the same for most of my life. Sleeping more than 6 hours a night actually results in me being tired the next day.
So that's why I be needin 10 hours a day . Seriously though, we work 3 months of nights and then 3 months of days. The first week of nights SUCKS, but it get's easier after that. Then the only thing that screws with mental alertness is having to come off night shift on Monday morning, report to the range on Tuesday for a good day of shooting and then going back on night shift Wednesday evening. Bah (is that bitching?). I also agree with paranoia. Plenty of the people I work with have no problem sleeping on duty. They especially like the one up/one down trick. But my initial counseling included a promise of an article 15 if I was caught sleeping on duty. So I can't sleep on shift even if I trust my buddy and could REALLY use a cat nap.

Dan
monkeydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:27   #63
BulletcatchR
Asset

Hello all,lurker become member today.
This being my first post and all I'll introduce myself.
Hi,I'm Stan,
aka BulletcatchR on the WWW.

http://www.bwgen.com/theory.htm

I've had good results using this program not only for increasing alertness but also to help me relax,and help induce REM sleep.
My experience with BWGEN started while working a security terminal days on end and it was a computergeek who turned me on to it.
I have since adapted an MP3 player to store various presets to allow some portability.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

for more opinions,it's free and worth trying.There seems to be quite abit of discussion about this proggy.

Second,If you've read my profile I'm married to an Acupuncturist.We met thru a mutual interest in Chinese Yoga,tai Chi and ChiKung.Personally I took EMT training thru work in the late 70's and tho I have an interest in emergency medicine and like to keep informed it's not my cup of tea so I never persued it professionally.
I've always had an interest in Traditional Chinese Medicine,at the same time I was studying "Emergency Transportation of the Sick and Injured" I was also studying "A Barefot Doctor's Manual,the Official Translation of the Chinese Paramedical Manual".

It was my wife who had the gumtion to 'change course' professionally and go to school to get her Masters and Doctor of Oriental Medicine.The student loan payments were way less than what I was spending on treatments at the time...I'm a layman(my wife adds a "Z" and calls me lazyman) and I admit it.I learn what works for myself and practice it,I don't 'like' treating other people.

If you're hooked up with a 'dojo' maybe there is a practitioner or someone knowledgable with Chinese medicine to consult ,,,I don't expect or even want anyone to just take my words,I will offer a suggestion that has worked for me.

Acupoint 'Stomach 36' can be stimulated to increase energy.I think the translation of the point's name in Chinese is 'Leg Three Mile'.I don't know how they come up with some of the names,but they've been around for thousands of years.This practice has helped me in numerous instance to keep driving on.

I also use 'percussion' massage technique on the top area of my skull,where numerous meridians meet.Again another tool to explore(along with Qi-Gong to increase energy levels).

I don't feel 100% comfortable 'prescribing' anything,again these are just some suggestions I'm offering.My HH6 helps me live drug free(I've been on both the Brett Favre and the Rush Limbough 'diet')dealing with chronic pain.
I still keep a bottle of Vicadin and Oxy in the freezer,but haven't touched them in years.What Chinese Medicine has taught ME is that drugs(whether prescribed,herbal,or OTC(caffiene,nicotine,suger..)will suppress the pain,or give my 'foot a push',but in the long run I will pay the tax with my body.
Exercising the CHI,training(Chinese yoga) every day,works for me,I feel better today at 47 than I did at 27(which isn't saying much,hehehe),and I wish I knew then what I know now.Martial Arts isn't just for fighting,training the body to STAY healthy is an art in itself.

When HH6 was in school we discussed a project to 're-write' the Barefoot Doctor's Manual into an updated more concise book dealing with 'emergency' and field medicine topics.Her professional interests havedeveloped and focused on OBGYN and breast health/cancer survival,and the 'manual' is the back burner till we win the lotto or retire.Typically the last thing I'd do is bring up Chinese Medicine in a room full of 'Western' practitioners,,,I got too many scars already,but these are hard times we are in and if one person can benefit I think it's worth it.

TNX for your patience.

BulletcatchR
BulletcatchR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 19:13   #64
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Welcome aboard bulletcatcher.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 18:21   #65
pulque
Guerrilla

This could be interesting maybe. The Allen Brain Atlas main mission is to map all active genes in the brain (by location)

Allen's brain research institute gets Army grant -Military wants help with its sleep-deprivation studies
pulque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 00:38   #66
aSk^Ghost
Asset

ALL OF YOU TAKE A BREAK AND CUT THAT DIET COKE OUT!

>>>ASPARTAME<<< http://www.lightparty.com/Health/DietCokeAspartame.html
Old 12-06-2004, 00:58   #67
gits
Quiet Professional

Dont waste your time on diet coke drink Bawls! I've kept myself awake overnight drinkin just 1 or 2 bottles of that stuff. Check it out at www.bawls.com kinda tastes like sprite but loaded with tons of caffeine i beleive 80mg in 12 ounces. Only bad thing is if you drink too much then your hands start to shake.

Last edited by gits; 12-06-2004 at 01:03.
gits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:37   #68
aSk^Ghost
Asset

anyone ever thought about posting something that could be used far from civilation ? any place where you can`t buy Bawls or Coke
Old 12-06-2004, 18:03   #69
SP5IC
Quiet Professional

Wide Awake Stuff

Tobacco bits under your eyelids?
SP5IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 20:05   #70
SFRADIOMAN
Quiet Professional

once upon a time

Back in the old days of speed keys (AKA vibroplex bugs) when we were working 12 on and 12 off and had to cover for guys getting wounded, R&R and the like we had to go a couple days at a time without sleep. AND sometimes just for fun we would 'dittybop' on the net.

Usually would start with just a single dit, followed by a dit dit and eventually you woud think duelling banjos was a slow dance. It would last maybe 10 to 15 minutes and go quiet for a couple more hours. Helped break the monotony.

One day I got called into the SGM's office and there were 2 dorky looking guys sitting with a couple 3" books in front of them. Seems like they had been monitoring the net and had picked up all of these violations to military security and wanted me to identify who the operators were. I asked for call signs and since there were none I told them it must have been VC jamming our frequencies. SMAJ said to them, "well there you have it, goodbye." They sat there not knowing what to do and he told them to go away which they finally did. My first contact with ASA but not the last but alas that didn't come from staying awake.

So when you new guys need to stay awake get out the old leg key and ditty for awhile.

SFRadioman
SFRADIOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:19   #71
Spartan359
Guerrilla

[/QUOTE]SP5IC Tobacco bits under your eyelids? [QUOTE]

How does that help?
Spartan359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:52   #72
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I really think some of it is psychological. While in college I stayed up three days studying for a particularly difficult exam. I loaded up on No-Doz and coffee but in the end, when I finished the exam I immediately passed out and someone woke me when it was time to leave. I am convinced that I stayed awake due to necessity rather than any drug supplements.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 13:17   #73
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
I really think some of it is psychological.
When I really enjoy something, I can stay awake for a very long time, even after a long sleep depravation.
And no, I dont mean what you think...
Old 12-30-2004, 13:41   #74
scubasam
Asset

Being the smart man that I am I used my mathmatical skills to deduce this process to keep myself awake...

X=dip (keeps you awake pretty well)
Y=coffee (keeps you awake pretty well)

so what happens when you mix the two?

X + Y = Dipping coffee grounds...

Damn.. thought my heart was gonna beat out've my chest... Didn't go to sleep thats for damn sure. But couldn't work either, couldn't focus worth shit.. Oh well..
scubasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 13:55   #75
Razor
Quiet Professional

Works great in Suck School, though, and Mother Green is kind enough to provide you a new 'dip' in every MRE.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote