Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-24-2004, 17:30   #1
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Plate Carrier Harnesses

I just ordered a Tactical Tailor plate carrier harness. I know that several other companies make these as well and am wondering if any of you have had any experiences wtih them, good or bad.

I'm trying to convince the unit to pick up the tab on them..

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 17:34   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Re: Plate Carrier Harnesses

Quote:
Originally posted by mffjm8509
I just ordered a Tactical Tailor plate carrier harness. I know that several other companies make these as well and am wondering if any of you have had any experiences wtih them, good or bad.

I'm trying to convince the unit to pick up the tab on them..

mp
Do want it slick, with PALS/MOLLE, or with pockets?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 17:57   #3
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Mine has molle webbing attachments, but I'm planning on setting up mulitple systems that stand alone, so that I wont have to change gear between rigs based on the situation or what I'm doing at the time.

I wear my RBA slick, and plan to use is primarly for convoy stuff where a chance of IEDs or shrapnel is a threat. I'm not a big fan of the soft armour, other than for shrapnel. I've got a couple of other rigs that I use over the RBA when worn.

I've shot at all of the RBA components with various weapons system, both ours and thiers. The plates have never failed and thus they've earned my confidence. I figure with the same plates in the plate carrier harness I cant go wrong.

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
Old 05-24-2004, 18:09   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I like the Eagle MLCS, but it has been normally a front plate carrier only. I think they are making a rear plate carrier to go on it now, a releasable carrier/vest, and some other stuff. It is very similar to the old RACK, but is better built. Their availability can be a weak point though.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/

Paraclete makes some good stuff as well, but it tends to be very pricey through retail outlets. They usually cut a very nice discount to military or to GSA sales, and tend to have a pretty good stock on hand.

http://www.paracletearmor.com/

Other than the trashy knockoffs that Blackhawk makes, those are about the only ones I have real personal experience with.

HTH.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 05-24-2004, 18:51   #5
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

I'll let you know how the Tactical Tailor model works out.

The reason I've selected that one is that it appears to be rectangular rather than tapered like the blackhawk ones that guys are buying, and they will accept only a Large or smaller plate.

The dimensions of this one are the same as an XL ceramic plate so hopefully I can maximize protection where its needed.

mp

MDP

Old 05-24-2004, 20:16   #6
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Ive had exp with a few plate carriers and plate carrier vests.

Ive used the Blackhawk and Paraclete Plate carriers. All the supposed upgrades (Read IVS System) to the blackhawk carrier just made it heavier and hard to adjust. The Paraclet carrier is simple and easy to use.

Ive used the HSGI Wasach (sp?) and like the idea, but find that its too easy to overload the whole system, and it does not work too well if you are driving or forced to sit in seats in Helos. It was designed to be worn over a seperate soft armor vest, so there is no padding on the shoulders.

I would like to check out the Callahan rig from SOTech. Looks like a scaled down version of the Wasach, with padding on the shoulders and only 6 mags internal instead of the 12 with the Wasach.

Just my 2 pesos, YMMV
Old 05-24-2004, 21:13   #7
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

I tossed around the idea of using paraclete. I visited the factory a couple of months ago while I was in a school at Bragg. I was impressed with the operation and quality, but I dont think much of thier gear is in the individual purchasers price range. Great stuff if the unit is footing the bill, and I did bring back a catalog, but so far they arent putting up the big bucks either......

mp

MDP

Old 05-24-2004, 21:14   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Psywar1-0
I would like to check out the Callahan rig from SOTech. Looks like a scaled down version of the Wasach, with padding on the shoulders and only 6 mags internal instead of the 12 with the Wasach.

Just my 2 pesos, YMMV
Got a link?

TR

Old 05-24-2004, 21:26   #9
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Link to Pics of Callahan Version 1.0

There is a 2.0 version that SOTech has previewed on the Lightfighter discussion board.

MFFJM, go to Raeford DZ, look at all the Paraclete stuff in the Pro Shop on display, ask to buy it, get really good price. I never pay retail anymore LOL.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:39   #10
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Pics of Callahan 2.0
Old 05-25-2004, 07:43   #11
eggroll
Guerrilla

Mean Gene also makes a smaller variant of the wasatch..... the weesatch.

prime difference being the removal of the outermost magazine pockets while the plate pockets remain the same size.

EGG
Old 05-25-2004, 08:51   #12
Razor
Quiet Professional

IIRC, the 'Hellcat' portion of the Callahan is also removable, allowing one to simply wear the front/back plate carriers if he so desires. Pretty versatile rig, really.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:34   #13
optactical
Quiet Professional

We keep both the Callahan and the Wasatch in stock. If given a choice I would go with Callahan, the Hellcat portion is seperatable, and the design in more of a "wrap around" as opposed to the Wasatch where the combat load ends up in front of you. If you have the extra cash spend it, not to take away from the HSGI design.

If you contact my CS she can tell you about availability, I told her to keep at least 2 of each color in stock at a time for the CPCS (Coyote and OD).

Both the Wasatch and the CPCS are built bombproof, you just get more when you pay more as far as versatility is concerned. Personally I use neither because I am not issued stand alone plates, and my issue RAV works just fine for bulletproofing me.

I hope this helped somehow, if you have hands on questions fire away, I have messed with both pieces of gear extensively.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:37   #14
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Dam Im making a call on a Callahan in Coyote. No body seems to have one in stock, and I dont have 12 weeks, or even days to wait