Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 07-28-2017, 08:05   #16
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesIkanov View Post
Follow up question:

can someone direct me to the current recommended workout for pre-SFAS? I've searched around, and it seems that the current workout is THOR, but I can't find an actual explanation of WTF that means or where to find even a description of it.

in the meantime I'm still doing some exercises, but I can tell I need to go harder and faster. I'm very lucky to know or at least have contact with current and former SF out in meat space. Mostly a former PJ who later did some OGA work whom I've had the privilege of getting to know very well. Based on some of the longer conversations I've had with the PJ it seems as though the primary aspect of my prep should be rucking, rucking, rucking and focusing on refusing to quit no matter how crazy shit gets. Based on what I've read, I know I need to be doing more upper body strength stuff, which is what I seem to be struggling with so far.

I've got some of my own oddball ideas about exercises, but I know enough to know I don't know enough and I'm hoping someone has a clear reference or some suggested reading on the subject. I've heard people drop "Get Selected" and another book on general fitness and exercise techniques focused on MIL/LE, the name of which is escaping me, but if there's a free and actually recommended exercise plan I'd rather start from there and adapt.
Well James character is revealed not created by any fancy workout or G2 to give yourself an edge....

All I did was ruck, run, pushups, situps and pullups the rest was me grabbing my nuts lie a man and giving it my best......all the fancy workouts and advice from GB's will not make you a GB these guys can give you the answer to the test you still have to do it.....

IMO the fact that so many young candidates come on here G2'ng the training with each other shows a character flaw and a lack of understanding of why it is important to let people go through the process alone.....Even when you get to a team your actions will be your own.

It is disheartening the constant gaming of the course no wonder the community is lacking
Old 07-28-2017, 08:30   #17
Box
Quiet Professional

For those that are REALLY serious about getting in the kind of shape that you REALLY need to be in if you are going to be an operator, I recommend watching this instructional video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XlH7as17tc

Once you have mastered the basics, you should start crossfitting two or three times a day like it is your fucking job! Only then will you have what it takes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyil4IGAvVs
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 23:30   #18
JamesIkanov
Asset

I can appreciate the humor, at least I'm not trying to game anything. Life has taught me through repeated experience that it's harder when you're dumb, and failure to plan is a good example of being dumb. I'm not looking for the super secret course grading rubric or something. I really just want some advice on how to work out. There's an incredible pool of conflicting information out there. "Work out everyday" versus "give your muscles time to rest". "workout recovery is all genetic" or "it's all about diet, sleep, massage and lactic acid". I'm really kind of starting from square one. I've been an unabashed life long couch potato (albeit not a fat body) that breaks up periods of sitting down doing nothing with very long walks with a big heavy backpack. That's not to brag, I just know the pain of going from literally zero physical build up to a 12 mile hike with a 45+ pound bag, and I'm not keen on repeating it. I just have no reference point for where to start.

Maybe I missed some recommended reading, maybe the link is dead, maybe I'm dumber than I think I am. I'd just like to get a better idea of where to start, or at this point, where to continue from and how to improve.
JamesIkanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:39   #19
Pete
Quiet Professional

Been almost 1 1/2 years between your last two posts on this thread.

While waiting for advice what have you been doing to get in shape?

You going to shit and get of the pot or just sit there?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:09   #20
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I can appreciate the humor, at least I'm not trying to game anything. Life has taught me through repeated experience that it's harder when you're dumb, and failure to plan is a good example of being dumb. I'm not looking for the super secret course grading rubric or something. I really just want some advice on how to work out. There's an incredible pool of conflicting information out there. "Work out everyday" versus "give your muscles time to rest". "workout recovery is all genetic" or "it's all about diet, sleep, massage and lactic acid". I'm really kind of starting from square one. I've been an unabashed life long couch potato (albeit not a fat body) that breaks up periods of sitting down doing nothing with very long walks with a big heavy backpack. That's not to brag, I just know the pain of going from literally zero physical build up to a 12 mile hike with a 45+ pound bag, and I'm not keen on repeating it. I just have no reference point for where to start.

Maybe I missed some recommended reading, maybe the link is dead, maybe I'm dumber than I think I am. I'd just like to get a better idea of where to start, or at this point, where to continue from and how to improve.
Analysis Paralysis

Just go run as far and as fast as you can. Rest until your muscles aren’t sore. Repeat. That’s the simple version, you can figure out the rest. In 1988, when I joined there was no internet. I had a brochure from the recruiter that showed soldiers running in boots. I bought boots and started running in them. The joke was on me as they no longer ran in boots in the military for PT. You have the internet and you can’t find ANYTHING? You may not be SF material based on that alone.

Perfection is the enemy of good.

You seem to be looking for perfection, which is unachievable, instead of getting started with good and building on that.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 14:09   #21
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Quote:

James, Stay Warm and Train as you think you will have to FIGHT, to save your life....tom kelly
Old 12-24-2018, 16:22   #22
JamesIkanov
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
Analysis Paralysis

You have the internet and you can’t find ANYTHING?
I've found a lot. Just nothing particularly useful. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist. I'm just trying to find best practices, or at least some guidelines. I can work with what you've given me, but I'm annoying and I like to know why things work, not just how.

I can't figure out how to post multiple quotes, but I'm a full time college student for financial reasons, free gym, and language electives. As I see it, I have all the time in the world. I obviously have to get to where I'm going eventually, but I'd rather take my time over fucking it up fast. I was on a DIY program for a while but was hospitalized for meningitis during the last year and I never really got back on it. I lost a few months of progress in about a week and a half of being unable to effectively eat or hydrate and running a fever, and it was more than a little discouraging.

I've done all kinds of non-fitness stuff. But I know I am lacking some of the fitness I will need, and that is why I'm here, re-addressing the question.
Old 12-24-2018, 16:28   #23
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
....As I see it, I have all the time in the world. I obviously have to get to where I'm going eventually, but I'd rather take my time over fucking it up fast. ....
You don't have as much time as you think you do.

As I noted it was almost 1 1/2 years since your last exchange.

One day you'll suddenly notice it's too late.

The search button should become your friend if you're serious.
Old 12-25-2018, 17:16   #24
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

With all due respect, make up your fuckin' mind, either shit or get off the pot. Go see a recruiter and take the ASVAB. See if you even qualify for an 18X billet. You have wasted over 1 1/2 years of your life mentally masturbating over the question, "Should I join or not?" I went through the SFQC in 1980 at 21 years of age. It is my understanding that the SFQC has not gotten any easier. You could have gotten in shape to compete in the Olympic Games by this point.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 21:17   #25
turboprop
Quiet Professional

Here. I googled "SFAS training plan.'' It was the first thing that came up.

If you don't want to make up your own strength portion you can scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at this. It includes the strength stuff and the runs/rucks.

Merry Christmas.

As it's been said that stuff doesn't really matter for you. Being generally in shape is a must-you have to do basic training etc before anything SF related. Grinding it out on your own to be ready to SFAS before you depart wouldn't do much more than bum you out when you get off that bus and find out you'll be hanging out at 30th AG in a bay full of lepers for two weeks before basic starts.

You're asking for the study sheet for a 3000-level course before taking the SAT. It's just not relevant to you right now. Unless things have seriously changed, you'll get plenty of prep with a rucksack in the 18X pipeline.

If you are waiting because you are going to finish college first, great, do that. If you're waiting because you "need" this information, you're wasting your time-which is your most valuable commodity.
turboprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:16   #26
JamesIkanov
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboprop View Post
If you are waiting because you are going to finish college first, great, do that. If you're waiting because you "need" this information, you're wasting your time-which is your most valuable commodity.
I'm planning on finishing college first. I'm not waiting for much of anything. I'd go so far as to say I've spent my time fairly wisely. I haven't sat on my ass for a year and a half. I just know I'm still lacking some fitness and I was hoping for some guidance. If the guidance is to sort it out yourself.... Noted. Will do.

I appreciate the replies. The last thing I want to do is waste time. Other users here, or mine. My hiatus was partly based on the realization that my time on this board was becoming more about my time on this board than progress.

Last edited by JamesIkanov; 12-26-2018 at 04:28.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:48   #27
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
........ My hiatus was partly based on the realization that my time on this board was becoming more about my time on this board than progress.
Wrong-oh, buttercup. Your hiatus was because of you. Don't try some half ass attempt to turn it on us.

You have been told where the information is and one of us even posted links. If you've read everything about SFAS on this board instead of just your posts and our replies to them you'll know we don't spoon feed anybody. If that's too difficult for you and you still think it's our fault - then maybe SF isn't for you.

Let us know when you get your 18X contract
Old 12-29-2018, 11:10   #28
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

After a year and a half...

1) If you haven't chased down the answers to your original questions, you likely never will.

2) If you're "still lacking some physical fitness", you're likely not SF material.

People who achieve this kind of goal are relentless in that pursuit. All the preparatory information you might need is widely available in the public domain (books, guides, videos, official school standards, memoirs, interviews, discussion forums, etc.). And every bit of that insider knowledge is worthless unless you are actually putting it into daily practice.

By now, you should be a PT monster and an effortless endurance athlete (with a good college GPA.) Able to knock out the officially published minimal physical standards on your worst day (drunk, hungover, sick, pregnant, meningitis, whatever...). Minimum standards shouldn't even be in your vocabulary. You should already be far past minimums.

Many of us went into the SF recruiting pipeline with 99% less advice and guidance than you'll find searching just this board. Never mind today's readily available physical prep guides for SF Selection. Like lab rats placed in a maze, we were expected to figure out our own path in an unclear endeavor... and gut our way through. And to arrive self-prepped for meeting all challenges on Day 1.

Your very next post should be a brutally honest & detailed breakdown of what your current PT program looks like. What you actually accomplish on a daily/weekly basis. Somebody might give you some pointers or suggestions for improvement weighed against that data. Absent that, you're just wasting your time and ours.

Attempting SF Selection & the SFQC is about walking the walk, not talking the talk. Yoda's admonishment applies here: "Do or Do Not. There is no Try."

Or, as my brother QP Pete already asked: "You going to shit and get of the pot or just sit there?"
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote