Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 09-19-2022, 05:05   #31
Badger52
Area Commander

Here's a thoughtful (imo) piece by Neil Oliver, reflecting on the additional meaning of so many mourners travelling & enduring the lines to pay their respects. Pretty good, and he has the Brit creds to with it. Opening paragraphs:

Quote:
When Winston Churchill lay in state in Westminster Hall, in 1965, journalist Vincent Mulchrone described two rivers running through London, one made of people, dark and silent as the night-time Thames.

Now another river of other people is flowing through an altogether different London, all the way to that same Hall and, this time, the coffin of The Queen. Westminster Hall is still there. Britain is still there. I’ve wondered if it’s a glimpse, at least in part, of the silent majority we hear so much about but seldom see.

It would be wrong to generalise, to imagine we could know the motivations of every person in that long line. But so many people moving as one, in the same direction at the same time surely suggests something shared. My hunch, for what it’s worth, is that many are also grieving the passing of the world they grew up in – a world of long-lived certainties – old certainties that seem to have died too at some point in the past few years.
Full Transcript here.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:24   #32
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Well, I guess most of you realize that I can take a pummeling and so I'm willing to give voice to some unpopular views: Yeah we separated from the Monarchy in 1776! But let's step back for a moment and recognize that the Monarchy representing the British Empire has existed for nearly 1,000 years. More than any other institution in human history. Advancing Christian values, the sanctity of the individual, teaching governance, introducing economic capitalism around the world and lifting the poor from poverty on every continent are just a few of the accomplishments.

As the longest serving Monarch, Queen Elizabeth II oversaw the "decolonization" of the Empire, once again, largely to the advancement of individual freedoms. To be sure there were colossal failures of the new nation states. But rather than wag our collective fingers at the Monarch for such failures, we would have been well advised to take a lesson and not attempt to democratize other nation states as we have tried in the Middle East for instance.

As a conservative Populist, my political views couldn't be further from those of a monarchist! But when I step back and examine the historical impact of the Monarchy of the British Empire and QEII's role, I am humbled and in my opinion, she truly stood for duty honor and country in the representation of her institution. There is only one other person in my lifetime, that so thoroughly stood for duty, honor, and country in the representation of his institution. Yeah that's right, I just drew a connection between Gen Douglas MacArthur and Queen Elizabeth II.

I am sure they are both resting in God's grace and deservedly so.

Let the pummeling begin.
Well said.

QEII may be the last of the monarchs who will be remembered for their humanity.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 19:55   #33
Badger52
Area Commander

Reflecting on a recently read book, War of the Running Dogs, it occurred to me that she was in place for most of the "Malayan Emergency." There was clearly influence midway through (from Whitehall) to insure that things were treated as a civil police matter, and to invest the populace in the outcome while aiding them on the tactical side. (Also, the term "hearts & minds" was already in play by the Brits.) One can reasonably debate what was either relocation of the population to deprive the insurgents, or call it forced internment. Probably some of both because the citizenry didn't like being preyed upon. In the end it worked.

I wonder if she had any influence upon this direction early in her reign simply by virtue of either her nature or the preparation she received, regardless of not being a boy, in terms of affairs of state. It was an approach that turned out to be the right one, was accepted and implemented by those on the ground responsible and, for all its warts, (now) Malaysia didn't fall Communist and remains a federal state.

Lots has transpired in those 70 years.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 21:09   #34
Box
Quiet Professional

Brandon really did the uNiteD sTateS proud...
-refused to ride the bus with the lesser world leaders
-showed up late to the funeral
-needed a cue card to put down his thoughts in the condolence book

class act Brandon- keep up the good work
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote