Old 08-25-2013, 08:05   #16
FoxTrooth
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyna View Post
I am prior service Marine that conducted two deployments to Iraq. I have been off active duty for 3 1/2 years. Still have 6 month in the IRR. My recruiters are telling me that 18x is the only option for PS. Which is fine, because that is what I want.

I do however have a question, I am being told that I will have to complete all of OSUT. Seems like a waste of time and energy to train me in an MOS I already went to war in twice. I will do it with a smile on my face, but I was just wondering if any PS marine infantry have had to do this and what to expect
If you were infantry you should go straight to Airborne after processing through 30th AG. Upon graduating Airborne school you will move over to SFPC Hold. A prior service Marine infantry processed in when I came through with the same story and that's what happened to him.
I was an Airborne qualified infantryman upon my reenlistment still on IRR time and after processing through 30th AG I went straight to SFPC hold.

On another note for prior service infantry:
If you fail to have a 240 PT score prior to shipping they will make you go through OSUT as well to give you time to train and physically develop yourself. A few guys shammed on the PT test with the recruiter before they left and instead of skipping OSUT they were told they could go needs of the Army or do OSUT from day one. ALWAYS max your PT test.

Also if you still have IRR time from your original contract you do not have a break in service. Break in service starts the day an individual no longer holds a contract with the Army. Three years break in service merits completion of basic again.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by FoxTrooth; 08-26-2013 at 05:55.
FoxTrooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09   #17
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Gentlemen,

This has been repeated so many times in the Pipeline it is embarrassing, for you.

Unless you are Special Forces Qualified you should not be providing advice to those seeking answers about the pipeline.

If you are NOT Special Forces Qualified and seeking advice in the Pipeline you should disregard posts from anyone who has not successfully completed the pipeline and graduated.

The reason is very simple: This forum is not an open website where all guests are equal. Those without the QP by their name are not vetted, therefore their information is not vetted. In other words they have no fucking clue.

Aubreyna, your line of questioning has been answered in another thread. Was this information not to your satisfaction? Your persistence says something about you. No amount of trolling the internet will change the following: You need to get to Benning, join the ranks the DI's direct you to, and soldier your ass off until you cross the stage with a Long Tab.

Or don't. Your call. Like TR asked "How bad do you want it?" No need to respond.

To all the non qualified guests sharing their opinion here, I would ask that you understand your opinions hold little weight. As guests in this house I would ask you to follow the rules set forth by the Moderators and Administrators. These rules insure that the information shared in this house is accurate and up to date.

That SEARCH button is a magical tool.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol

Last edited by blue02hd; 08-25-2013 at 11:14.
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 22:37   #18
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
Gentlemen,

Unless you are Special Forces Qualified you should not be providing advice to those seeking answers about the pipeline.

If you are NOT Special Forces Qualified and seeking advice in the Pipeline you should disregard posts from anyone who has not successfully completed the pipeline and graduated.

Gentlemen, I must make a correction to my earlier post. I have been mistaken, and seemingly so for quite some time. No excuses, but I will correct myself right now.

There is No rule restricting guests from posting here in the Pipeline. I appreciate TR's polite message bringing me up to speed. In fact, guests with proper placement and knowledge are strongly encouraged to participate. From my grid square, this may actually make the Pipeline more interesting.

Aubreyna, my comments for you still stand.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19   #19
Neophyte
SF Candidate

Second

I'd just like to second Foxtooth on the prior service infantry deal. If you manage to get an 18x slot, you should not have to go to OSUT since you are infantry qualified. That being said, make sure your PT and rucking is up to snuff, the current packet (public info) can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0893207&type=3

If your recruiter tells you that you have to go back to OSUT, he might not know about the exception, you simply need to push for it. I know a non-infantry prior service reservist Marine who somehow managed to get a week-9 start time in his contract. (He's in the Q right now)

That has the current (bare minimum) standards for rucks and runs, as well as the current packing list, it is more up to date than the march '09 list that will show up if you use Google. You get that packing list when you get to holdover but it's nice to have this to reference back to.

I've been at SWCS holdover for quite a while (failed selection once, 19 days) and have been here all summer. Some of these guys don't bother to workout extra during airborne school and have it a little rough when they get here.

Like TR says, make sure you really want it, I just had one prior service Marine buddy who VWed today rather than go back to selection, I'm headed out again soon.
Neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:37   #20
greyshade
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyna View Post
I am prior service Marine that conducted two deployments to Iraq. I have been off active duty for 3 1/2 years. Still have 6 month in the IRR. My recruiters are telling me that 18x is the only option for PS. Which is fine, because that is what I want.

I do however have a question, I am being told that I will have to complete all of OSUT. Seems like a waste of time and energy to train me in an MOS I already went to war in twice. I will do it with a smile on my face, but I was just wondering if any PS marine infantry have had to do this and what to expect
When I went through you really did not learn your fate until you showed up at 30th AG, Ft Benning Reception. There was a tabbed scrolled Ranger medic who had to complete 4 weeks of Infantry basic. I was prior service, non Infantry and I did the last 6 weeks of OSUT.

It is what it is man. Don't get too wrapped around it. Be humble and if you get stuck doing it all over again use your experience to mentor the Pvt's. You'll probably be around other X-Rays that will end up going to SOPC, SFAS and if you're fortunate, the rest of the Q with. Your reputation starts the minute you get off the bus.
Old 01-10-2018, 14:37   #21
LifetimeStudent
Asset

Deleted

Last edited by LifetimeStudent; 01-31-2018 at 17:27.
LifetimeStudent is offline   Reply With Quote