Old 05-29-2010, 20:45   #1
PilSung
Asset

Shifting Focus

Hello everyone!

I am in the process of readjusting my fire for a new pathway, and would like a little help with goal setting and making sure that I am setting the correct sequence for success.

A little background. I enlisted in the USAR, and then learned that I like being a Soldier too much to do it part-time. Unfortunately, my submissions to be released to active have been lost all three times. My only option seems to be to utilize ROTC to gain an Active Duty commission. I had set OCS as an option on down the road, so this creates an opportunity to jump ahead there, but I also feel that I am going to miss some valuable experience.

Now that I am re-evaluating my plans and waypoints, I could use a little objective advice. I have been reading posts on here and other places for a few weeks, and I am starting to see the path.....but now I want to start fine tuning and determining which options may have what effect on my goals.

A few points that I would like to get advice on at this point:
-If I am unable to branch Infantry, what other branches may help me bring valuable skills to SF if I am selected?
-As an SMP Cadet, what should I look for in a unit? In my local area I have Combat Engineers, Civil Affairs, Chemical, MP's, CID, Transportations, Psyops, and Drill Sergeants. It would seem that CA or Psyops may be a better experience, but I would not be able to deploy, etc....so I don't know that I want to be a burden for them.
-Is there any self-development(outside of PT) that would be beneficial as an Officer, leader and Soldier that would help me once I get to my initial assignment as a PL, and then potentially be able to be built upon to become a solid candidate for SF?

Please keep in mind that SF is a goal of mine, but I want to make sure that I take the next few years to develop and be a solid PL and a great Soldier. I am not ready yet, and I want to ensure that I develop as best I can. If I don't make it to SF, I want to know that I am still doing everything to be the best Soldier and Officer that I can be.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:55   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilSung View Post
Hello everyone!

I am in the process of readjusting my fire for a new pathway, and would like a little help with goal setting and making sure that I am setting the correct sequence for success.

A little background. I enlisted in the USAR, and then learned that I like being a Soldier too much to do it part-time. Unfortunately, my submissions to be released to active have been lost all three times. My only option seems to be to utilize ROTC to gain an Active Duty commission. I had set OCS as an option on down the road, so this creates an opportunity to jump ahead there, but I also feel that I am going to miss some valuable experience.

Now that I am re-evaluating my plans and waypoints, I could use a little objective advice. I have been reading posts on here and other places for a few weeks, and I am starting to see the path.....but now I want to start fine tuning and determining which options may have what effect on my goals.

-If I am unable to branch Infantry, what other branches may help me bring valuable skills to SF if I am selected?
-As an SMP Cadet, what should I look for in a unit? In my local area I have Combat Engineers, Civil Affairs, Chemical, MP's, CID, Transportations, Psyops, and Drill Sergeants. It would seem that CA or Psyops may be a better experience, but I would not be able to deploy, etc....so I don't know that I want to be a burden for them.
-Is there any self-development(outside of PT) that would be beneficial as an Officer, leader and Soldier that would help me once I get to my initial assignment as a PL, and then potentially be able to be built upon to become a solid candidate for SF?

Please keep in mind that SF is a goal of mine, but I want to make sure that I take the next few years to develop and be a solid PL and a great Soldier. I am not ready yet, and I want to ensure that I develop as best I can. If I don't make it to SF, I want to know that I am still doing everything to be the best Soldier and Officer that I can be.

Hello yourself.

Search button broken on your screen?

Think you are the first cadet ever to visit PS?

We are looking for self-starters.

Get back to me when you have searched for and read "A Message to Garcia."

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 05-30-2010, 07:39   #3
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Not to take anything away from The Reaper's advice -- self- sufficiency goes a long way with SF Officers . . .
Quote:
Every Branch brings something important and unique to the SF table. But, I'd recommend you stay close to Combat Arms Branches. (COL Rowe started out as a Signal Officer.)
Quote:
-As an SMP Cadet, what should I look for in a unit?
Close. You should look for one that is close to where you live and go to school. You won't do the unit any good if you're not there. So make it easy on yourself and the Unit Administrator.
Quote:
In my local area I have Combat Engineers, Civil Affairs, Chemical, MP's, CID, Transportations, Psyops, and Drill Sergeants. It would seem that CA or Psyops may be a better experience, but I would not be able to deploy, etc....so I don't know that I want to be a burden for them.
That you are not deployable doesn't have anything to do with whether you are a pain in the ass. But, since you asked: check your E-mail regularly, show up 30 minutes early, do what your told (quickly and cheerfully) make sure your ROTC cadre is keeping in touch with the unit to coordinate when ROTC training will overlap and take precedence, and don't think that pip over your heart means sh!t.
Quote:
You should be studying your ass off at school. Read lots and the "What are you reading now thread" is a good place to start. Once you have an AKO account check out the on-line correspondence courses
Quote:
You learn how to search you'll be closer to the goal, right?

Last edited by Dozer523; 05-30-2010 at 07:42.
Closed Thread