Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 04-29-2017, 20:53   #16
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by P36 View Post
Aha, The professor was previously an Organizational Psychologist out of Raleigh. That makes a bit more sense now.
Uh, no it doesn't. Just because he was in the same state as the Q course... What's his name?
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:25   #17
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
A better predictor might be whether the individual hunted, fished, hiked and camped.
Interesting thread, but I think I would agree more with TS on this one. Being comfortable out in the woods is a good predictor. I think the team sport theory is also valid as you learn that it's not always about you...it's about your contribution and how your lack of effort can cause failure.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:08   #18
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Uh, no it doesn't. Just because he was in the same state as the Q course... What's his name?
But, but he read a book!
Old 05-09-2017, 01:31   #19
thinker752
Quiet Professional

Wrestling your way threw the Q

Ill say No. Yep thats my answer no it won't help.
thinker752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 21:10   #20
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Prediction of Success in SFQC:

Prediction of anything is very difficult, especially if it involves events that will occur in the future. Quote is attributed to various people. eg Niels Bohr, Arthur Ellis and others. Tom Kelly. It is no longer possible to make predictions without reference to the observer or the means of observation.
Old 05-14-2017, 16:27   #21
Dive08
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
The only professor I can think of who has written anything of possible value is Angela Duckworth from Penn who wrote the recent book "GRIT"。
+1 on that. Fantastic book.

As for the original question of this thread - ridiculous assertion. Move along.
Dive08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:46   #22
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
I was a wrestler ... but what TS said ....

LOL!

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 19:41   #23
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by P36 View Post
So I'm sitting around some professors at a business seminar and one comments that a predictor of success in the Q Course is whether the individual had wrestled in high school. I don't know where he obtained that statistic but am curious whether there is any correlation?
Not so sure about your professor he sounds like he has a fetish with wrestlers and perhaps watched vision quest too many times.....

I agree with others athletic background seems to help through the physical stuff but whats between the ears is just as important.....there are even football players, boxers, MMA, tennis players, baseball, swimmers, judoka, karate, ping pong players in SF but there are also gear heads, farmers, rodeo riders, chess players, video gamers, bookworms, artist, writers, techies and MBA's, MD's, etc...amongst the fellas
Old 08-17-2017, 04:10   #24
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
Not so sure about your professor he sounds like he has a fetish with wrestlers and perhaps watched vision quest too many times.....

I agree with others athletic background seems to help through the physical stuff but whats between the ears is just as important.....there are even football players, boxers, MMA, tennis players, baseball, swimmers, judoka, karate, ping pong players in SF but there are also gear heads, farmers, rodeo riders, chess players, video gamers, bookworms, artist, writers, techies and MBA's, MD's, etc...amongst the fellas
To add:
AAA Baseball prayers
Junior PGA players
FBI Agents
College Professors
Construction Workers
Police Officers
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper

Last edited by miclo18d; 08-17-2017 at 04:12.
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:22   #25
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post

I'm damn glad I was not drinking coffee when I read that........
Old 08-17-2017, 20:11   #26
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Flagg: I'd love to see a book written by a compelling story teller and a performance psychologist focused on the parenting of high performing SOF soldiers.
This is one I'd recommend as it covers just that sort of analysis:

True Americanism: Green Berets and War Resisters : A Study of Commitment - by David M. Mantell, published 1974

https://www.amazon.com/True-American.../dp/0807724297

Author interviewed Vietnam era SF combat vets and draft resistors who fled to Canada. Trying to figure out what made two opposite ends of the commitment spectrum "tick". One group being triple-volunteers for combat and the other group being "equally" committed to their flavor of moral/political beliefs. The book attempts to identify why polar opposites (in terms of action) were each willing to commit knowingly to difficulty. The interviews analyze a vast spectrum of formative experiences and personality traits. Alpha vs Beta Male, adrenaline junkie behavior, promiscuity, early sexual experience, competitive drive, IQ, socio-economic roots, education, youthful criminal behavior, parenting, personality types, religion, family values, etc.

As I recall, the author ultimately found the SF types more fascinating (less stereotypical and more complicated) than the uber-pacifists. I seem to recall that this was his psychology doctoral thesis grown into a published book. In any event, he included some alcohol fueled SF war stories that made for interesting reading.

In the words of one reviewer:
Quote:
"This book asks a simple question with rather large implications : does family environment correlate to ideological stance? Dr. Mantell examines the two vanguards of youth reaction to Viet Nam : war resisters active, vocal, and visible in the anti-war movement, and green berets - soldiers essentially volunteering for combat duty. Through rigorous examination of the various family dynamics and history of his subjects, he is able to show very specific commonalities within each group, and huge differences between them."
Much of the SF interviewing conducted at 1-10 Bad Tölz back in the early 70's. The book was common in the Stars & Stripes Bookstores shelves up until the 1980's. I had a copy, but it got passed around team rooms and lost.

Well worth reading.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:29   #27
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
Prediction of anything is very difficult, especially if it involves events that will occur in the future. Quote is attributed to various people. eg Niels Bohr, Arthur Ellis and others. Tom Kelly. It is no longer possible to make predictions without reference to the observer or the means of observation.
That's it Tom... bring Heisenberg into the discussion, you know we're all cretinous, knuckledragging, uneducated imbeciles who have no clue about the Uncertainty Principle.

Why are 'professors' so afraid to say they don't know what they don't know and can't understand why some make it through the Q and others don't?

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 13:37   #28
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Special Forces Questions Forum Rules

Special Forces Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.

Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.

If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.
Old 08-18-2017, 17:53   #29
PRB
Quiet Professional

Only if you wrestle yourself...and win....then yes.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 20:25   #30
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

The next non-SF type that posts in here will get banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Special Forces Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.

Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.

If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.