Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 09-03-2008, 11:23   #31
69harley
Guerrilla

The RF test chamber is located in the Quantico area. If you are in the know then you know where I am referring to.

Our engineers have several tweaks to apply to this antenna. The trim capacitor being one of them.

We will try to do as many different tests as possible, however, our paid reason for being in the chamber is a different project. I am going to work this antenna in as much as possible, but we only have the test chamber for a certain amount of time.

At the very least we will measure the antenna gain, front to back ratio, and radiation lobes.
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:15   #32
steelcobra
Asset

I'm currently working with a variant designed from electron's specs he gave me using the materials readily available that we have in our commo shop. Using RG213 as the radiators, it gets solid VSWR for an improvised antenna, but I'm having issues correcting the impedance. When connected directly to a PSC-5, it gets a crystal clear transmit, with light static receive.

I tried using a sleeve balun (non-radiating model constructed from a 1/4 wavelength copper tube around the cable, then electrically connected to the sleeve opposite the connector, worked for a UHF dipole) but though it improved the VSWR, it still didn't function through the cable. I'm thinking of trying a choke balun next, but stuck trying to figure out the diameter/coil length.
Old 09-11-2008, 15:50   #33
69harley
Guerrilla

We had the field expediant in the test chamber for a couple of tests today. The customer is paying for other stuff, but we had some setup time in between the 'paid tests' that were able to use.

BLUF - 2.6 -2.9 db of gain over the entire UFH SATCOM range. The radiation pattern that comes off this antenna is not as focused as say a 2055 or 2040. On the chart it looks more like funnel than beam. It may be able to be fine tuned by adjusting all of the variables, but without dedicated chamber time it would be almost like finding a needle in a haystack.

Maybe someone out there has a bunch of EOY money left over and would like to buy some test chamber time?

Anyway, 2.5-2.7 db of gain on a homemade array is not bad at all.

K
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:43   #34
Electron
Guerrilla

Updated Information

Thank you for the effort to get the info on the antenna. The data you provided will be valuable to those in the field.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:37   #35
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69harley View Post
We had the field expediant in the test chamber for a couple of tests today. The customer is paying for other stuff, but we had some setup time in between the 'paid tests' that were able to use.

BLUF - 2.6 -2.9 db of gain over the entire UFH SATCOM range. The radiation pattern that comes off this antenna is not as focused as say a 2055 or 2040. On the chart it looks more like funnel than beam. It may be able to be fine tuned by adjusting all of the variables, but without dedicated chamber time it would be almost like finding a needle in a haystack.

Maybe someone out there has a bunch of EOY money left over and would like to buy some test chamber time?

Anyway, 2.5-2.7 db of gain on a homemade array is not bad at all.

K
is that dbi or dbd?? If it's dbi, thats only about equivelent to a 1/2 wave doublet. A doublet has 2.14 db's over isotropic.

But, hey as they say, what's the best antenna?.......the one that works!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:12   #36
Electron
Guerrilla

Feedback

...been getting some good feedback on the antenna... This is an e-mail I received the other day. I've omitted the name, number and unit information.

<<Electron>>,
We tested your antenna today with excellent results. We were running data thru FTP on a DAMA channel, antenna cut to freq for the channel and had 40 – 50 RSI. Had it tilted on a ruck…was ok, had it tilted by hand and of course it worked much better since the birds on the horizon. Thought I’d share this with you, many thanks.
r/
<<Name Omitted>>

XXXXXXXXXXXX
Training Instructor, Communications
Co _, __ BN, ________ (A)
(XXX) XXX-XXXX, DSN-XXX-XXXX
Old 10-22-2008, 06:44   #37
glebo
Quiet Professional

Good news, one of the committee guys (SATCOM Inst.) said he was gonna build one and test it. Also the guys out at Robin Sage. Hope it works out well for them. Thanks for making it available Electron.
Old 10-31-2008, 16:36   #38
L-10
Asset

Satcom ant. math formula

what is the 1500 in the formula?

1500/ MHZ = L L * 12= ----inches
L-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 18:25   #39
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-10 View Post
what is the 1500 in the formula?

1500/ MHZ = L L * 12= ----inches

Better question, who are you and why did you not comply with your registration message or the stickies before jumping into a discussion?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 20:06   #40
L-10
Asset

my bad

Hey Reaper my bad for posting on here first.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:17   #41
Electron
Guerrilla

It's not 1500

The fomula is 1005 divided by the frequency in MHz, then multiplied by 12 to get the length in inches. If you divide by 1500, your antenna length will be way off and you will probably experience the standing wave phenomenon.
Old 11-03-2008, 18:39   #42
L-10
Asset

1005?

What is 1005 supposed to be is what I'm asking?
Old 11-03-2008, 18:49   #43
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Young man go to the 3rd post in this thread and read it carefully. It is very simple and all the info is there.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 20:49   #44
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Do you mean, what does the value 1005 (or 234 for a 1/4 wave, or 468 for a 1/2 wave antenna) represent in the equation? Where did that number come from, right?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 00:22   #45
L-10
Asset

Value 1005?

What does the value 1005 represent?