Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 08-07-2020, 13:39   #1
PTF Guy
Asset

Exercising PACE Comms at FOB Covid

Greetings to seasoned Signaleers. Anyone encounter the AN/TRC-77 or AN/GRC-9 in training or deployment? I had to get out of lockdown for a quick FTX in the mountains, these 2 old sets did the job. I left the AN/GRC-109 home this time. Some Pix: http://www.n6cc.com/mil-radio-ops-at-fob-kung-flu-2020
Got Comms? Yes.
Cheers.
BT
NNNN
PTF Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:20   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

You have a nice website; I've had it tagged for a while, definitely enjoy the history lessons. Tuolumne, Sonora, or vicinity thereof? FWIW - Last time I used a 109 was 1979, everything after that was PRC-74s and 70s. Decent for what they were, I look back on carrying them with nostalgia but no fondness. Certainly not with intent to resurrect them from the scrapyard. Today's equipment is far better.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:28   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Used the 109 in training group in 1971 and a couple of field exercises.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:05   #4
Badger52
Area Commander

Thanks for the sharing the FOB Covid trip. Always enjoy your site.
(and love that Bronco)

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 13:25   #5
PTF Guy
Asset

Thanks guys - I thought some of our Army brothers might find some of this Comms stuff interesting.. Yep, AO is about 35 miles NE of Sonora, Stanislaus National Forest.
(My buddies call it camping, I call it "training"!). The GRC-109 is my Daily Driver at home and usually while camping, especially since I don't have to carry it! Bullet proof reliability with the 109... Much respect to those of you who humped it around...T
Old 08-11-2020, 14:18   #6
T7L
Quiet Professional

Agree with all on here. You do have a nice site and beautiful country out there. You've got the right vehicle for it.

Did use the 109 in training and they phased the PRC 70 out not too long after I got to Group. I would take a 70 or a 104 if I found one. Versatile radios and I don't have to pack them around anymore.

Makes me want to carve out time and dust off my old 1099A and get back on the air. It has been too long.
T7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:29   #7
PTF Guy
Asset

Hi T7L - Your PRC-1099A is a very capable radio and would be right at home out here. The PRC-104 is also very good, been in service for a long time in various configurations. We used them in Navy coastwatcher FTX's along with the PRC-47's. I'm currently reviving a PRC-74B. As a FOG, I watch with interest the DOD's "rediscovery" of HF comms. Cheers!
BT
NNNN
Old 08-15-2020, 14:10   #8
PRB
Quiet Professional

Great pics and the weather looks excellent...always carried some smoked oysters in my ruck to eat with the C rat crackers...
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote