Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 01-17-2018, 05:35   #1
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Rucking with a weapon.

Jayson here and I have started a PT program that the army setup for me. One of the activities it has me do on certain days is ruck with my FFO (uniform, boots, ruck, helmet, tac-vest & weapon). Now I do not live close to a base so any rucking I will do would be in my neighborhood. I have been told that rucking in FFO in public is not a good idea unless I want a business visit from the police. So my plan is to wear civis, my boots and ruck (I will add extra weight to my ruck to compensate for the helmet and tac vest). The weapon part is what I am uncertain about. Obviously I will not be carrying one, but should it be simulated? I can put together some sort of white PVC tubing and weigh it down with sand to simulate the weapon I would be carrying. Would this be either necessary or a good idea? From previous posts on this forum I have learned it is important to train the way you would fight. During basic, I had to carry a C6 (a SAW) and in my mind, I struggled to properly handle it (shooting was fine, just moving it was a challenge for me. Holding the damn thing out with arms stretched out when one of my section buddies screwed up was also difficult). Would rucking with the PVC tubing help? Please respond. Thanks.

jaYson
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:56   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

A weighted white PVC pipe makes a good "Dog be good stick".

Carry it like a weapon and use it if some strange dog comes running up.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:31   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
continuing Pete's post:

Rucking with your weapon does not fall into one of the exercise slots:
  • Cardiovascular aerobic exercise, often called aerobic
  • Strength (or resistance) training is the process of building and maintaining muscles in the body by using progressively heavier weights (or resistance).
  • Stretching or lengthening your muscles, helping you become more limber

It's more of a muscle memory game. The idea being to condition your body to work with a load AND be battle ready with your weapon.

So what you use is immaterial. You can use a stick. The only requirement, it should be about the right size and weight.

A short piece #5 or #6 rebar (c attached size-weight chart), say 35-40 inches, to look like a walking stick?? Maybe a homemade sling of duck-tape?

Use your imagination.

My $00.00002
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rebar-chart.jpg (63.8 KB, 61 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 15:30   #4
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Jayson here and thanks for the responses. I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now and just wanted to make certain it was a good idea to use something to simulate carrying a weapon.

I am leaning more towards using PVC tubing as I can add and subtract weight as needed. As mentioned carrying a C9 (I mistakenly typed C6) was challenging for me. Ultimately I will be carrying a C6 which is even heavier. My imagination is somewhat bonzer and I am certain I can put some type of handle and sling into this "fake weapon" to make carrying it more 'authentic'. I will have the most original "good dog stick" on the block. Thanks once again.

jaYson
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Old 01-17-2018, 18:13   #5
Scimitar
Area Commander

I did the same PVC pipe thing while training up.
I found it worked well.
I just kept it original white, I felt it was less inconspicuous.

A buddy I trained up with painted his camo, didn't go down to well with the local fuzz :P

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 01-18-2018 at 16:59.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 19:42   #6
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Yeah I was planning on using white PVC tubing as opposed to black PVC tubing or even painting it to help avoid any potential "business visits" from the police.

I also nixed my idea of attaching a scope, bipod, light, laser pointer and a picatinny rail on it too. A simple handle and gun sling will have to do (sigh).

jaYson
--Haim Ginott--
Old 01-18-2018, 15:23   #7
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

Jayson,
Sir, you are putting the cart before the horse. Stay focused on the 25 M target. Concentrate on getting your feet in good shape and don't sweat the small stuff.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 18:06   #8
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Rucking around with a long gun looking object is usually a recipe for public alarm and potential disaster during a police encounter. Unless you are on a military base where that kind of thing is routine. It was that way when I was training up for the SFQC decades ago. It still is. Apply common sense and understand your battle space.

Don't over-think things. KISS. Dewalt 42" (or bigger) bright yellow wrecking bar from Home Depot or Lowes. ~$20. They weigh 7+ lbs. You'll look like someone carrying a very visible big yellow crow bar while working out... not an armed madman.

You don't need any "practice" with a pistol grip, sling, etc. while rucking. Nor do you need camouflage effects, simulated accessories, or anything else. You just need to saddle up the ruck, pick up the steel bar, and fucking move out smartly.

It's a PT event, not a tactical patrol.

Last edited by Astronomy; 01-19-2018 at 14:15.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 14:47   #9
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Jayson here and thanks again for more suggestions. To clarify, I am only doing this as my workout - which was designed by the army - has me going on ruck marches with FFO - including a weapon. I should have used pink font the weapon accessories I had mention I thought about using as I have no intention of ever doing anything like that. I just wanted to know if it would be a good idea to simulate carrying a weapon when rucking in public. A white PVC tube with a handle and weighted with sand is all I plan on using. While I like the yellow tool bar idea, I think walking around my neighborhood with a massive chunk of steel would be more threatening.

On a side note, this simulated weapon might be a better idea than I thought and get even more use than just rucking with. Last night at parade, we learned how to fire from moving vehicles. When going over rifle drills using a C7, my shoulder started to hurt when holding my weapon out. I was embarrassed when I realized that I am in much worse shape than I thought. So I am now looking for additional exercises I can also do at home to help prevent this problem.

Thanks once again for everyone's help.

jaYson
--Haim Ginott--
Old 01-19-2018, 14:52   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
Jayson here and thanks again for more suggestions. To clarify, I am only doing this as my workout - which was designed by the army -

The "army" is very good at designing programs that meet the bare minimum...... always keep that in mind.