Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 05-05-2012, 07:34   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

Camp Mackall - Lowell Wesley Stevens Cadre Prof Dvlpmt Ctr

"Roundeye" gets a building named after him. For those who didn't know him, he had 5 tours in RVN, serving on an A-Camp in 1964, then as a 1-0 for an Omega RT 1967-1968, then a Mike Force Company Commander in 1969-1970, and then a FAC COVEY at CCC out of Kontum. He had 3 Silver Stars, 6 Bronze Stars, and two Purple Hearts. RIP.

I'm amazed every time I see the Mackall of today vs the one with a couple of tar papered shacks, GP Mediums, and single 'water buffalo' of our time there in Phase 1.

And so it goes...

Richard

Special Forces Training Facility To Be Named After Vietnam War Veteran
USArmyPAO, 4 May 2012

The U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School will formally name its cadre professional development center after a Special Forces hero during a dedication ceremony at 10 a.m. May 10 on Camp Mackall in Hoffman, N.C.

The Master Sgt. Lowell Stevens Cadre Professional Development Center will be used by special-operations instructors assigned to 1st Battalion, 1st Special Warfare Training Group (Airborne), which maintains training facilities on Camp Mackall used during the Special Forces Qualification Course.

The center, constructed in 2004 as part of the training facility's modernization plan, provides overnight sleep quarters for SFQC instructors and support personnel who do not have the time to travel home for a night's sleep between training events. Additionally, the 11,200-square-foot facility hosts a library, language lab and modest fitness used for cadre members' professional development.

Lowell W. Stevens, Sr., who passed away on Jan. 26, 2011, was known as the "unofficial, official" historian of Camp Mackall and its surrounding area. As a U.S. Army Special Forces noncommissioned officer, Stevens served a total of more than five years in Vietnam in the 1960s during three separate tours as a heavy-weapons sergeant, intelligence sergeant, Mobile Strike Force company commander, reconnaissance team leader and airborne controller.

Stevens retired from active-duty service in 1980 after serving as a special-operations instructor at Fort Bragg. In 1983, he began a 23-year career with Fort Bragg's Range Control department, where he managed training on Camp Mackall, including on its drop zone and airfield. Compiling both official military data and oral interviews with individuals familiar with Camp Mackall, he was working on a book about the training area's history when he passed away.

In an article for the Paraglide newspaper in 2010, he stated that "two things define who he is -- Vietnam and Camp Mackall -- and that he is very proud of both…" His military award include three Silver Stars, a Legion of Merit, six Bronze Stars including one with the "V" device, two Purple Hearts, and many more.

Depending on each SFQC students' designated specialty and language requirements, the course may take anywhere from 52 to 92 weeks to complete; several training phases including small-unit tactics and the Robin Sage unconventional warfare exercise are based out of Camp Mackall. Camp Mackall is considered a satellite training area of Fort Bragg, N.C., where SWCS is headquartered and SFQC classroom phases to include language, culture and medical training are conducted.

Lt. Col. George Bond, the 1st Bn., 1st SWTG(A) Commander, will speak during the ceremony. Throughout the SFQC, Bond's battalion is responsible for most military-occupational specialty training and survival skills training.

http://www.army.mil/article/79283/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LWS PDC.jpg (51.3 KB, 212 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:07   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Boy that place has changed since I went through........
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:17   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Lowell was a great guy, icon and presence of CMK. This is a great tribute to him.

Ok I'm getting really tired of these kinds of statements. I think Lowell's Willies Jeep should be packed out front, too.

Quote:
...serving as a special-operations instructor...
Why does someone that taught SF soldiers at so many levels get a label of being special-operator and not Special Forces. I'm seeing this more with military focused writing/ articles.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56   #4
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Lowell was a great guy, icon and presence of CMK. This is a great tribute to him.

Ok I'm getting really tired of these kinds of statements. I think Lowell's Willies Jeep should be packed out front, too.

Why does someone that taught SF soldiers at so many levels get a label of being special-operator and not Special Forces. I'm seeing this more with military focused writing/ articles.
MtnGoat

See my post: Special Forces equals Green Berets got it.........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:35   #5
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I'm amazed every time I see the Mackall of today vs the one with a couple of tar papered shacks, GP Mediums, and single 'water buffalo' of our time there in Phase 1.

The motels in Fayetteville didn't didn't look that good back in the 60's.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:34   #6
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
"Roundeye" gets a building named after him. For those who didn't know him, he had 5 tours in RVN, serving on an A-Camp in 1964, then as a 1-0 for an Omega RT 1967-1968, then a Mike Force Company Commander in 1969-1970, and then a FAC COVEY at CCC out of Kontum. He had 3 Silver Stars, 6 Bronze Stars, and two Purple Hearts. RIP.

And so it goes...

Richard

Special Forces Training Facility To Be Named After Vietnam War Veteran
USArmyPAO, 4 May 2012

The U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School will formally name its cadre professional development center after a Special Forces hero during a dedication ceremony at 10 a.m. May 10 on Camp Mackall in Hoffman, N.C.

The Master Sgt. Lowell Stevens Cadre Professional Development Center will be used by special-operations instructors assigned to 1st Battalion, 1st Special Warfare Training Group (Airborne), which maintains training facilities on Camp Mackall used during the Special Forces Qualification Course.

The center, constructed in 2004 as part of the training facility's modernization plan, provides overnight sleep quarters for SFQC instructors and support personnel who do not have the time to travel home for a night's sleep between training events. Additionally, the 11,200-square-foot facility hosts a library, language lab and modest fitness used for cadre members' professional development.

Lowell W. Stevens, Sr., who passed away on Jan. 26, 2011, was known as the "unofficial, official" historian of Camp Mackall and its surrounding area. As a U.S. Army Special Forces noncommissioned officer, Stevens served a total of more than five years in Vietnam in the 1960s during three separate tours as a heavy-weapons sergeant, intelligence sergeant, Mobile Strike Force company commander, reconnaissance team leader and airborne controller.

Stevens retired from active-duty service in 1980 after serving as a special-operations instructor at Fort Bragg. In 1983, he began a 23-year career with Fort Bragg's Range Control department, where he managed training on Camp Mackall, including on its drop zone and airfield. Compiling both official military data and oral interviews with individuals familiar with Camp Mackall, he was working on a book about the training area's history when he passed away.

In an article for the Paraglide newspaper in 2010, he stated that "two things define who he is -- Vietnam and Camp Mackall -- and that he is very proud of both…" His military award include three Silver Stars, a Legion of Merit, six Bronze Stars including one with the "V" device, two Purple Hearts, and many more.

Depending on each SFQC students' designated specialty and language requirements, the course may take anywhere from 52 to 92 weeks to complete; several training phases including small-unit tactics and the Robin Sage unconventional warfare exercise are based out of Camp Mackall. Camp Mackall is considered a satellite training area of Fort Bragg, N.C., where SWCS is headquartered and SFQC classroom phases to include language, culture and medical training are conducted.

Lt. Col. George Bond, the 1st Bn., 1st SWTG(A) Commander, will speak during the ceremony. Throughout the SFQC, Bond's battalion is responsible for most military-occupational specialty training and survival skills training.

http://www.army.mil/article/79283/
Richard, That is a nice synopsis of the dedicated career of an exceptional Special Forces soldier and the naming of a building on Camp Mackall after Lowell is an honor befitting the service he gave to the U S A SPECIAL FORCES.
On behalf of all the former members of C Company 1st Special Forces Gp, (Abn) and everyone who knew Lowell, THANK YOU FOR REMEMBERING a good friend and an outstanding soldier. Tom Kelly
Old 05-05-2012, 12:06   #7
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
The motels in Fayetteville didn't didn't look that good back in the 60's.
Or the 50's..........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 05-05-2012 at 12:08.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Camp Macall of the 50's........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard:

Apparently it hadn't changed for you guys since the 50's either....... Didn't you go through in the early 70's?.............

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 05-05-2012, 13:00   #9
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
MtnGoat

See my post: Special Forces equals Green Berets got it.........

Big Teddy
Teddy,

I remember your thread.. And yes you were right. I feel that if USASFC, USASOC, SWC or any military article taking about a Green Beret/ Special Forces solider should just state that.

I think Lowells Jeep should be parked out front too.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 13:04   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional

August 1974

Quote:
.......Apparently it hadn't changed for you guys since the 50's either....... Didn't you go through in the early 70's?.............

Big Teddy
In August 1974 the Compound contained a number of GP Medium Tents over wood frames set on the large cement slab area. Bunks were a metal bed frame where the springs had been removed and replaced with a plywood slab. Just west of them by the fence was two large classroom tarpaper buildings used as class rooms.

In the back of one was the "kitchen". The "kitchen" was just a room with a stove and two large pots in it. For Breakfast and Supper a detail would remove the main meals from the C Rations, put them in the pots, fill with water and bring to a boil. To serve the class would file through, pick an upside down meal, be handed a hot can and file outside to eat at one of the standup tables. Lunch was a cold C.

We were supposed to have one hot A a week if we were in camp on Sunday Lunch. IIRC we got one hot A in Ph I and one in Ph III.

All the "shacks" were just south of this little area on both sides of the gravel parking lot we'd fall in at for colors in the morning. I remember at least the Office, TAC Shack, Med Shack, Commo, Weapons - and the Conex where the ammo/blanks etc was stored off in the SW corner that was one of the guard posts.

And then there was the little shower/shitter off in the NE corner of the compound. I really don't have too many memories of that other than a cold shower or two that felt damn good at the time.

The camp is really more NE/SW than N/S.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 13:23   #11
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Richard/Quote/

Apparently it hadn't changed for you guys since the 50's either....... Didn't you go through in the early 70's?.............

Big Teddy
I went through in '83, and it wasn't much more than that.
Old 05-05-2012, 13:49   #12
PRB
Quiet Professional

Great deal. Lowell was a great asset at Mackall. Dealt with him quite a bit when at the school house. This is very appropriate not only for his combat service but for his continued service as the Camp Mackall sherif.
The facilities have been constantly upgraded since the mid 90's and it is a fantastic place to train troops.
If you have not been to the school house since C was a Corporal you ought to organize a visit....
BTW, Mackall is really pronounced Mack All not like McCall...altho it will never revert back.
I've talked to original members of the 509th (WW2) that knew him and every one of them said he pronounced it in that manner...just some trivia.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 16:25   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You should see Camp Mackall, but you will not be able to. Well, the cantonment area anyway, aka Camp Rowe.

The facility has been closed to visitors. If you do not work there, you cannot get in.

This is the overhead link to the imagery of the new camp.

http://mapq.st/IMl9aD

The end of the runway is in the lower left corner and the timber trestle bridge over the railroad tracks is at the upper center.

Camp Rowe is the collection of buildings you see in the center, mostly with light green metal roofs.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 16:30   #14
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I went through in '83, and it wasn't much more than that.
Yup, I was there Jan 83. Some of the tar paper huts were still there and a few quonset huts. No hot water, even in Jan. It was very Spartan indeed. (I went through the easy course, Maj. Howard was in charge........)
Old 05-05-2012, 17:19   #15
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
You should see Camp Mackall, but you will not be able to. Well, the cantonment area anyway, aka Camp Rowe.

The facility has been closed to visitors. If you do not work there, you cannot get in.

This is the overhead link to the imagery of the new camp.

http://mapq.st/IMl9aD

The end of the runway is in the lower left corner and the timber trestle bridge over the railroad tracks is at the upper center.

Camp Rowe is the collection of buildings you see in the center, mostly with light green metal roofs.

TR
When did they restrict ID holding visitors?
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote