Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 04-22-2009, 05:56   #16
Stras
Quiet Professional

There are tunnels under Panzer. I've been down two of them and seen the third. there may be more. There is supposedly a motor pool under the field by Panzer gym. It makes sense in the fact that this is the highest elevation on the kaserne, and the field never drains after a heavy rain.

I've always heard there is a motorpool under Husky Field at Patch. Would be a great relief to the parking problem if they ever opened it up and used it for parking. I've heard that the reason they won't open it is because the Nazis built it. Hey Sunshine, thoses buildings that you're currently working in and living in, yeah, Uncle Adolph had those built in the 1930's.

Our old RMO had a book with 8 X 10 photos of the kaserne in the 1930's-1945. It was donated to the SF Museum which was going to be made over the mess hall. I would have loved to get copies, but the book has disappeared over the years.

On a side note. At one time. SFODA 015 (MAROPS) could trace it's origins all the way back to ODA 11 (the first dive team), and back to ODA 1. I hope that the old photos are still in the team room Bar.
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:33   #17
Richard
Quiet Professional

Yeah, the effin' Nazis were - like the effin' Japanese and effin' NVA - some burrowing fools. But, then, they had to be thanks to us.

Coulda used one of those Rodenator Pro's. http://www.rodenator.com/

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31   #18
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
There are tunnels under Panzer. I've been down two of them and seen the third. there may be more. There is supposedly a motor pool under the field by Panzer gym. It makes sense in the fact that this is the highest elevation on the kaserne, and the field never drains after a heavy rain.

I've always heard there is a motorpool under Husky Field at Patch. Would be a great relief to the parking problem if they ever opened it up and used it for parking. I've heard that the reason they won't open it is because the Nazis built it. Hey Sunshine, thoses buildings that you're currently working in and living in, yeah, Uncle Adolph had those built in the 1930's.

Our old RMO had a book with 8 X 10 photos of the kaserne in the 1930's-1945. It was donated to the SF Museum which was going to be made over the mess hall. I would have loved to get copies, but the book has disappeared over the years.

On a side note. At one time. SFODA 015 (MAROPS) could trace it's origins all the way back to ODA 11 (the first dive team), and back to ODA 1. I hope that the old photos are still in the team room Bar.
I was stationed at Patch Barracks in the early 80s. There were German civilians working there who were soldiers there during WWII. If you'd like a little history go to the Officers Club and look at the German 7th Panzer Regiment unit crest that is in large scale and positioned near the front door. There is also a large original mural of WWII German soldiers on one of the buildings near the front gate.

Last edited by mojaveman; 09-24-2011 at 21:51.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45   #19
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

In 1965, I was stationed at Reese Barracks in Augsburg. The entire Battalion (1/19 Inf) was situated on a quad, with a parade ground and vehicle park in the center. Under the parade ground and vehicle park were tunnels that led to a center area (swimming pool) . The entrance to the tunnels in the "A" Company barracks was through the arms room. The armorer used to allow the NCOs in the company store excess equipment and weapons in the tunnels during IG Inspections. Technically the tunnels were "OFF LIMITS" and the Armorer could tell the inspectors to F--- Off, if they tried to enter the tunnels.
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 14:56   #20
RetiredSOCS
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfromcolorado View Post
Mythology.

Rommel commanded the 7th Panzer DIVISION. The 7th Panzer REGIMENT was in the area. The myth covers both Panzer and Patch (Kurmärker), depending on your taste.

Some interesting stuff on different Kasernen on these sites...

http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.ht..._Stuttgart.htm
Poor Rommel, he never got to experience "soul food wednesday" at the officer's club. Oh well, my unfounded rumor made for great story telling.
RetiredSOCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 18:02   #21
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSOCS View Post
Poor Rommel, he never got to experience "soul food wednesday" at the officer's club. Oh well, my unfounded rumor made for great story telling.
Rommel didn't but his son might have. Manfred Rommel was the Mayor of Stuttgart from 1974 to 1996. Every fall on the first day of the Canstatter Volksfest he would tap a large wooden keg and pour the first beer.

It was fun being a young G.I. in Germany...

Last edited by mojaveman; 09-26-2011 at 17:18.
Old 04-22-2009, 19:16   #22
tolzerman
Quiet Professional

Wink

Hey Stras,
I have some copies of those old photos of both Panzer and Patch. I was able to make copies of the negatives and had 4 x 6 prints made, all B&W naturally. Let me dig around in my boxes and see where they are then I'll try and scan them in for you. Could take awhile as there are quite a few of them. Was thinking about putting a photo history book together one of these days.
" Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, 'he that is not with me is against me. " George Orwell

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell
tolzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 20:14   #23
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Manfred Rommel Jr. was the Mayor of Stuttgart from 1974 to 1996.
I met him in 1990 when I was down that way on business with the consulate, Harry Kasei (economist at Diamer Benz), and Rezo Schlacht (Green Forsitzender in the Landestag). He was amused by my Bayerischer accent and we had a nice chat over the discovery of a cache of Afrika Korps rum which we'd drunk at Bad tolz in the mid-70s.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:26   #24
Mitch
Quiet Professional

I spent a few weeks at Patch in 79 - in what I believe was called SOTFE back then. I flew in from Devens on a commercial flight into Stuttgart - not sure how we made that connection, but I know we did.

I was part of an advance team for Scharzes Pherd 79. Essentially, we were there to setup all aspects of running the EDH –each of us had a specialty – mine was commo. I essentially became the Comm Chief for the all EDH Commo – to include all phones, all RTT, all VHF and HF circuits, the AirFore E&E Net, the DZ coverage Net, ect. Also all the Commo support folks were mine too. It was good that I was a fast learner – because all I really was, was an E6 (P) right off an A-Team - had nver been in any commo unit in my life.

In order to do the work we needed to do – we need to have room to layout our maps, make lots of phone calls, and have someone standing close behind us to give us what ever we asked for or to at least be able to persuade someone else to give it to us. Example; Since I didn’t know beans about RTT – and we were supposed to maintain four RTT nets to communicate with Schulthorpe and a few other places – I decided I needed a complete RTT Platoon – with a snap of the fingers, I had one, it was just that easy. By the way, that man was Col Tyler. But the person we worked with, primarily, was MAJ Kellogg during those days there – what Kellogg couldn’t get for us – Col Tyler could – and if Tyler couldn’t get it there was an Admiral there too who definitely could.
By the way – walking around inside the SOTFE HQ was weird. All I can say about that particular place was that we were in the holiest of holies – Once inside all the security – it was amazing how little security there was.

One more thing, we didn’t have a car then, (there was only 5 of us). So we asked for one, not really expecting to get one. Kellogg said if we could get someone to pass the German Drivers Test – he could get us a car. I was nominated to take the test – I had had one before and more recently than anyone else – I was also the lowest ranking person there. So, I got a guide book –read it –walked on down to the place to take the test – and took it. I passed. Kellogg was shocked – he really didn’t think anyone could pass it. So – he gave us a Black Ford Galaxy 500 – with a big V8 engine. We also got all the free gas we wanted. From that moment on – we were never around there anymore after retreat. We nicknamed the car the Black Mariah – no one messed with the Black Mariah.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:49   #25
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I spent a few weeks at Patch in 79 - in what I believe was called SOTFE back then. I flew in from Devens on a commercial flight into Stuttgart - not sure how we made that connection, but I know we did.

I was part of an advance team for Scharzes Pherd 79. Essentially, we were there to setup all aspects of running the EDH –each of us had a specialty – mine was commo. I essentially became the Comm Chief for the all EDH Commo – to include all phones, all RTT, all VHF and HF circuits, the AirFore E&E Net, the DZ coverage Net, ect. Also all the Commo support folks were mine too. It was good that I was a fast learner – because all I really was, was an E6 (P) right off an A-Team - had nver been in any commo unit in my life.

In order to do the work we needed to do – we need to have room to layout our maps, make lots of phone calls, and have someone standing close behind us to give us what ever we asked for or to at least be able to persuade someone else to give it to us. Example; Since I didn’t know beans about RTT – and we were supposed to maintain four RTT nets to communicate with Schulthorpe and a few other places – I decided I needed a complete RTT Platoon – with a snap of the fingers, I had one, it was just that easy. By the way, that man was Col Tyler. But the person we worked with, primarily, was MAJ Kellogg during those days there – what Kellogg couldn’t get for us – Col Tyler could – and if Tyler couldn’t get it there was an Admiral there too who definitely could.
By the way – walking around inside the SOTFE HQ was weird. All I can say about that particular place was that we were in the holiest of holies – Once inside all the security – it was amazing how little security there was.

One more thing, we didn’t have a car then, (there was only 5 of us). So we asked for one, not really expecting to get one. Kellogg said if we could get someone to pass the German Drivers Test – he could get us a car. I was nominated to take the test – I had had one before and more recently than anyone else – I was also the lowest ranking person there. So, I got a guide book –read it –walked on down to the place to take the test – and took it. I passed. Kellogg was shocked – he really didn’t think anyone could pass it. So – he gave us a Black Ford Galaxy 500 – with a big V8 engine. We also got all the free gas we wanted. From that moment on – we were never around there anymore after retreat. We nicknamed the car the Black Mariah – no one messed with the Black Mariah.

Hey Mitch,

Did you mean Schwarzes Pferd? We had a team from 5th participating in that in conjunction with what we were doing in Morocco in '85. I distinctly remember the name because I was doing most of the communicating for the FOB. SOCSE was also there and set up enough communications equipment to take up an entire wall in the building that we were staying in. It looked like some pretty high tech stuff but in the six weeks that we were there they never got it to work right. I was present when the Air Force Techical Sergeant had to explain to MG Suddath why they weren't able to communicate with anyone. I'll give those guys credit for one thing though, they came with an equipment box full of booze and tobacco.

Last edited by mojaveman; 09-24-2011 at 21:54.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:02   #26
Pete
Quiet Professional

Sudden Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
....explain to LTG Suddath ......
Blast from the past 'Ol Sudden Death.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:18   #27
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Lots of things had to be explained to MG Suddath.

My favorite was when he (as the CG, 1st Special Operations Command) interrupted a briefing to ask "How many people are in one of those ODA things you are talking about."

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 23:49   #28
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
Hey Mitch,

Did you mean Schwarzes Pferd? We had a team from 5th participating in that in conjunction with what we were doing in Morocco in '85. I distinctly remember the name because I was doing most of the communicating for the FOB. SOCSE was also there and set up enough communications equipment to take up an entire wall in the building that we were staying in. It looked like some pretty high tech stuff but in the 6 weeks that we were there they never got it to work right. I was present when the Air Force Techical Sergeant had to explain to MG Suddath why they weren't able to communicate with anyone. I'll give those guys credit for one thing though, they came with an equipment box full of booze and tobacco.
Yeah "Schwarzes Pferd" that's what it was. You're lucky I didn't spell it Schwanz des Pherdes or Pferdeschwanzes or better yet "Schwarze Pherdesschwaenze you try and say that!

Enough of that black horse pony dong stuff.

Sounds like you nailed the commo I was trying to explain - one thing we didn't have in 79 was any SAT gear – I suppose that would have been nice – would have saved some real-estate. By the time I got to full strength, I had a 3 acre antenna farm - the Stuttgart Airport would not allow us to stray beyond a specified area - so it was challenging.

One nice thing - everything I had worked. Another thing I had to learn to do, that I had never done before, was to develop and run a message center - I finally gave up and moved a cot in next to my desk (in one of the side rooms of a gymnasium) just to keep everybody off my back.

Does anyone remember Snoopy’s? A good place to hang out – if you had the time.
Old 04-24-2009, 18:14   #29
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Does anyone remember Snoopy’s? A good place to hang out – if you had the time.
Snoopy's?

That would be the drinking establishment at the Echterdingen Army Airfield. A lot of the pilots used to drink there. I wonder if it's still there?

Last edited by mojaveman; 07-17-2011 at 14:22.
Old 09-24-2011, 21:05   #30
sitfly36
Quiet Professional

Sea studio

That place was the place to hang out!
Takes you back to the 80's lol