Old 08-09-2006, 01:20   #91
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Brot zeit

I was headed to get a beer and a memory popped up. It was because of the talk about Bavarian beer.

Mike or any of you that were in Toelz, can correct me on this. Anyway. Somewhere around 10am, there was this deal called Brot Zeit (Bread time). A mid morning break. I remember through the years I was there, Seeing a case of beer being hauled up on a crane on this, that construction site. Damn! I had worked construction before I went in. We had the morning break, all that showed up was the 'Roach Coach'.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:43   #92
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
I was headed to get a beer and a memory popped up. It was because of the talk about Bavarian beer.

Mike or any of you that were in Toelz, can correct me on this. Anyway. Somewhere around 10am, there was this deal called Brot Zeit (Bread time). A mid morning break. I remember through the years I was there, Seeing a case of beer being hauled up on a crane on this, that construction site. Damn! I had worked construction before I went in. We had the morning break, all that showed up was the 'Roach Coach'.
That´s why Bavarians drink beer for breakfast. Keeps the brain from rusting away... hahaha. Thank God I´m at least half a Bavarian (other half is Texan, which is just as bad... ).

Brad, affirmative. Some things never change. Brotzeit is still there. Not only at 10am, but also in the afternoon or a cold dinner is called a Brotzeit (bread-time).

When I was 14 I saved up money for my DL, jobbing for construction sites. One of my duties was to get cases of beer (on my bicycle !), bringing the first one to the construction site before school (7am !). Then 2 after school (1300 hours) and 2 or 3 more before "Feierabend" at 1700h sharp. I made $5 an hour back then ! By he way, in Bavaria they never ID you when you buy beer, since it´s considered "liquid bread" here.

Quote:
The reunion in Toelz next fall is a great idea Mike.
Thanks Brad, I think so too. We should do that while we can...
I´m sure the surrounding breweries will have plenty of resupply for us...

The traditional Bavarian Brotzeit always contains a beer, or two.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:52   #93
12B4S
Quiet Professional

No problem there Mike. Just thought of something. When I was there, Toelz had it's own brewery. The beer was called Toelzer. Well.... I can't do the umlaut thing on here. Is it still there?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:00   #94
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
No problem there Mike. Just thought of something. When I was there, Toelz had it's own brewery. The beer was called Toelzer. Well.... I can't do the umlaut thing on here. Is it still there?
Well, there is (was) Grüner Brauerei in Tölz (bought by Bitburger), they market their beer under "Tölzer Hell" and "Tölzer Weissbier".
Old 08-09-2006, 03:04   #95
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-munich
That´s why Bavarians drink beer for breakfast. Keeps the brain from rusting away... hahaha. Thank God I´m at least half a Bavarian (other half is Texan, which is just as bad... ).

Brad, affirmative. Some things never change. Brotzeit is still there. Not only at 10am, but also in the afternoon or a cold dinner is called a Brotzeit (bread-time).

When I was 14 I saved up money for my DL, jobbing for construction sites. One of my duties was to get cases of beer (on my bicycle !), bringing the first one to the construction site before school (7am !). Then 2 after school (1300 hours) and 2 or 3 more before "Feierabend" at 1700h sharp. I made $5 an hour back then ! By he way, in Bavaria they never ID you when you buy beer, since it´s considered "liquid bread" here.

Thanks Brad, I think so too. We should do that while we can...
I´m sure the surrounding breweries will have plenty of resupply for us...

The traditional Bavarian Brotzeit always contains a beer, or two.
I remember it as a morning break thing and afternoon. Mostly the morning one got me. You didn't see that in Northern Germany. I checked.

LOL..... great job for a 14 year old. Back then, at that age, That is a great wage.

Yup, In some of the family owned Gasthofs I um visited. I saw kids that were 5 or so climbing up on stuff when the parents wern't there for a minute and drinking out of the old collected beer glasses or mugs. Then They would be busted. The old stuff taken away and the dad or mom would draw them some Frisch bier. Just a couple sips.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:08   #96
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
You didn't see that in Northern Germany.
The northerners are no fun. They don´t like Americans, and Bavarians either. Different mentality, what can I say.

Quote:
Back then, at that age, That is a great wage
Hell yes ! in 1982/1983 that was alot of money. Financed my DL and my first 80cc motorcycle that way. Plus the free beer I got from the construction guys...

Yes, drinking age for beer ist 0 here.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:02   #97
Sanwald
Asset

Mike,

I've heard over the years that there is an "SF" stammtisch in Toelz that's alwys open to SF guys in the area or passing through. Do you know anything about this?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:19   #98
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanwald
Mike,

I've heard over the years that there is an "SF" stammtisch in Toelz that's alwys open to SF guys in the area or passing through. Do you know anything about this?
Sanwald,

not 100% sure, but it might be the one at Jägerwirt in Gaissach.

SF guys from Tölz and a delegaton from Böblingen get together every year on Allerheiligen (Nov. 1st) there to honor the guys buried on the cemetary there.

Mike
Old 08-09-2006, 05:15   #99
Richard
Quiet Professional

"Nevertheless, very good translation on Tölz piece !"

Thanks for the compliments. Although I don't get to use my German very much around here in Dallas, I do go on-line to read Stern, Der Spiegel, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, and SueddeutscheZeitung to get a central Euro view of world events.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:46   #100
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Thanks for the compliments. Although I don't get to use my German very much around here in Dallas, I do go on-line to read Stern, Der Spiegel, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, and SueddeutscheZeitung to get a central Euro view of world events.
You are welcome Sir. I was in the DFW area in May this year, seeing a friend in Ft.Worth that is a 79R with the Army. Also renewed my TX DL for another 6 years. I´ll let you know next time I´m there. Maybe you have some time for a Shiner Bock and some conversation in German about the days in Tölz.
Old 08-09-2006, 18:54   #101
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

Ich kann leider auch nicht oefters mein deutsch hier in Northern Colorado ueben. In Colorado Springs gibt es viel mehr Gelegenheiten deutsch zu reden mit die viele Warbrides aus Deutschland. Lese ich auch ab und zu mal Der Spiegel, Stern und andere deutsche Magazinen um die Euro/deutsch perspektiv an die Welt zu verstehen. (wenigstens versuche ich das zu begreifen!!)

Ich war nie in Bad Toelz stationiert, aber als junger Gefreiter habe ich in Bad Toelz bei PCT trainiert. Das war ein totales Suckfest!!

Ich werde gerne mit anderen auf hier auf deutsch unterhalten. Hat jemand auch lust??
Old 08-09-2006, 19:43   #102
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebeef
Ich war nie in Bad Toelz stationiert, aber als junger Gefreiter habe ich in Bad Toelz bei PCT trainiert. Das war ein totales Suckfest!!
well, Camp Worden wasn't exactly Five Star accomodations...

if y'all wanna type in German, that's fine with me...but i'll be hanged if i can drink and post, so i'll just read and comment auf Englisch...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 19:56   #103
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

yeah it was a suckfest. I'm on duty here, so no drinkin and typin for me!! Have one for me will ya??
Old 08-09-2006, 20:00   #104
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebeef
yeah it was a suckfest. I'm on duty here, so no drinkin and typin for me!! Have one for me will ya??
consider it done...i'll repair forthwith and attend to the matter directly...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 00:48   #105
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
reden mit die viele Warbrides aus Deutschland
Hahaha, die Kriegsbräute. I like that !

Ich habe oft mit dem Team beim PCT die OPFOR für die GI´s gespielt. Das waren schöne Zeiten... Ich vermisse das alles sehr.

(I played OPFOR with the Team at PCT many times for the GI´s that trained there. Those were the good old days.... I´m missing it alot).

I´ll have a beer on ya´ll tonite !