Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 02-02-2009, 02:39   #211
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
Not cool...LOL...oh, for the days when I had a season pass to the Brauneck and was expected to ski every weekend off and several times during the week...Berg Heil...
I usually go on the day pass (well, I'm not too far away). It's $37 per day now (ouch, cops don't make much $$$)

Sir, your season pass is around $500 now...

Draxlhang anybody ? My skiing equipment is still in my car....

Ski Heil !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg draxl.jpg (27.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 02-02-2009, 11:16   #212
Hartley
Quiet Professional

Mike, that picture sure brought back some memories - the lift has changed but the slope really hasn't..
Passes? All I remember is the pocket full of coupon books.. a real joy when you had a big class and the lift guy was trying to count 'em all.
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:45   #213
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Hartley, you are right, the slopes haven't changed in the 26 years I've been skiing the Brauneck. Garland is still my favorite.

Technology has moved on quickly though, instead of punching your lift ticket they use credit card sized RFID-chip access cards now that are touchless. Pretty neat, no need to take the gloves off at the lift.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:08   #214
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-munich View Post
Sir, your season pass is around $500 now..
They were about $125 back in the day...that was part of a group rate...I think individuals were shelling out about $175...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:38   #215
mike-munich
Guerrilla

That's what I call inflation... Maybe it's the price of the RFID chipcards ?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:35   #216
JAB10th
Quiet Professional

Man, looking at all the pictures of Toelz brings back allot of memories.

Conrad, I remember the day of the closing ceremonies. Col Banks was there. It must have been a sad day for him. I saw your picture of the coin for the closing of Bad Toelz and I remembered I had one, so I had to go dig it out.

I would like to say thanks to all of you that have posted pictures, they bring back allot of good memories.

Biff...
JAB10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:28   #217
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
They were about $125 back in the day...that was part of a group rate...I think individuals were shelling out about $175...
Mid-70s we paid something like $45 for a season pass for the family. Loved the pic of the Brauneck and sure do miss it all. My first stab at the Garland included two good turns and a fall which ended when I reached the bottom of that steep SOB. I got better and learned to love it...especially when the other slopes turned to nothing but icy mogul fields as your neared the bottom of the runs.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:13   #218
drleach
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
My first stab at the Garland included two good turns and a fall which ended when I reached the bottom of that steep SOB. I got better and learned to love it...especially when the other slopes turned to nothing but icy mogul fields as your neared the bottom of the runs.
Never got good enough to tackle the Garland, but had great times sitting at the top and watching people slide to the bottom---slick ski suits were the best.

drleach
drleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:55   #219
lksteve
Quiet Professional

We skied the Garland once a day with rucks...never really liked it, unless there was fresh snow...then it was fun...we tried making it the last run of the day, but realized we could hurt someone, so we made it the run before our mid-morning brotzeit...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 14:30   #220
csquare
Quiet Professional

VW Moguls

I remember one afternoon coming back down to finish the day, we were busting down the Garland. A few of us were doing alright and some others were nothing but ski and equipment bombs falling down the slope. But one guy hit one of those monster moguls pretty dang hard, in order to stop himself and look around for other falling pieces of equipment. The dang mogul broke off and started sliding down the slope. It look as big as a VW beetle.
Now that was a sight!
I do not regret a day I spent in uniform—I’m immensely proud of my service. If I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned what a truly remarkable thing it is to be a combat veteran. Now I want to live an exceptional life for those who never made it home.
csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:34   #221
mike-munich
Guerrilla

I guess that's why I like Garland so much. It's crazy...

Ahh, good old days...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flint113.jpg (42.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg flint153.jpg (33.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-10-2009, 15:00   #222
Conrad Y
Quiet Professional

Garland Skiing

If you got enough snow during the ski season a cornice forms above the Garland. It was quite a thrill. I would recommend it to whoever goes out there this year to try it. The cornice seems to be overlooked by the locals every year so it was always virgin for me.
Do you all remember the night skiing we would do where we waited in a hutte of our choice and drank (what else) 'til a certain time then ski down drunk (I mean loose) to the waiting busses. In 1986 the top or second top group made Kamikaze headbands from some sheet and blasted down the mountain in a tuck yelling for everyone to get out of the way.
Old 03-28-2009, 16:29   #223
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Great old pics gentlemen. Thanks. I've got a bunch from '68 I'll have to get digitized.
I gotta tell ya, that was probably the best time of my life!
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:39   #224
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Found one!

Here's an old pic of Flint. (Don't know how to put a thumbnail here)

Flint Kaserne 1968
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:52   #225
Ramrod 1
Asset

I went back a few years ago, and it was sad to see what they were doing to Flint. At least the Turmkeller was still in tact and operational......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad Tolz Quad.jpg (406.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Bad Tolz Theater.jpg (375.2 KB, 61 views)
Ramrod 1 is offline   Reply With Quote