Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 07-22-2010, 16:09   #31
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydoc60A5G View Post
I recently had the opportunity to spring a surprise coin check on a rather unsuspecting but well prepared (what else?) 10th Group Retired Officer, who immediately slapped his well worn coin on my desk...Sterling Silver...Has anyone else seen one of these?
<-------- Like this'n?
One of the first run of coins in 69. Pretty beat up now. Never saw a sterling one though.

Lt. Col. Beck was CO of C company in Tolz and Devens. I was one of the honorary pallbearers at his funeral at Arlington. As I recall his CC chopper was reconning an LZ when a 155 wired shell in a tree went off.
He was a Marine pvt in Korea in 52. Got out and went to FSU and got an Army commission. Helluva guy. I've never seen the statue that looks like him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10thSFGcoin.jpg (50.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 10thSFGcoin3.jpg (8.3 KB, 40 views)
Lazy Bob Ranch

Last edited by Utah Bob; 07-25-2010 at 08:20.
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 13:09   #32
MVP
Quiet Professional

Sterling

The only Sterling coins I saw were being sold a Gp Hq (Devens) circa 1983. There was a guy down at a shopping center in Leominister that used to make real nice cut-outs of coins using a jewelers saw. He cut a Gp coin for me very cheaply but was pissed when he discovered it was not sterling like all the others he had done for Gp guys!!!
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:45   #33
CHRISTIN
Quiet Professional

Sterling Coin

Back in the late 70’s and the early 80’s we used to purchase our coins from the S-1 at HQS 10th SFG(A), Fort Devens. The “Standard Issue” was a rhodium plated brass coin available for five or six dollars. There was also a “Special Issue” sterling silver coin available for about forty dollars. To acquire one, you would fill out an order form and pay for the coin… and roughly thirty days later your shiny new sterling silver coin would arrive.

So, the answer is yes there was an official sterling silver challenge coin back then. It wasn’t widely advertised and perhaps not that popular as forty dollars cut into beer drinking money on Taco Wednesday at the Fort. But, I eventually did purchase one as it is a nice looking coin… and yes, it is special.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th.SFG(A).jpg (51.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 10th.SFG(A).topJPG.jpg (57.4 KB, 37 views)
CHRISTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:53   #34
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

sf statuette

i received this from dad today...says it was a parting gift when he left sf...id like to have it repaired (rifle tip broke off and missing)...id also like to clean it up but not sure if i should mess with the filth...er...patina...is there anyone in the sf community doing this type of work? dad went through in 1963 and i find the gear represented fascinating...thanks in advance for any help...please move this post if its in the wrong spot..."statuette" in the search box revealed this thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sf statuette 009.jpg (47.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg sf statuette 013.jpg (47.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by twistedsquid; 06-18-2012 at 20:57.
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote