Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 09-25-2011, 10:43   #31
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitfly36 View Post
That place was the place to hang out!
Takes you back to the 80's lol
Its still there too... still playing 70's and 80's rock... just don't take the wrong turn walking out of the place or you end up in the lake like one of our slightly inebriated brothers did one night.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 15:07   #32
MVP
Quiet Professional

Snoopy's

If you are talking about the bar that was on Stuttgart Army airfield it is long gone. Most of the old buildings were removed in that area and some hangers were erected that are/were used by the USEUCOM VIP flight detachment.

SS
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 16:37   #33
Tress
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper:

Lots of things had to be explained to MG Suddath.

My favorite was when he (as the CG, 1st Special Operations Command) interrupted a briefing to ask "How many people are in one of those ODA things you are talking about."
Why does that not surprise me in the least?

TR,

Didn't he have a son-in-law that was in our Battalion when we were there? I know who it is that I am thinking about, I had heard that he was Suddendeath's son-in-law, but I was never sure. Always thought that if it was true that he had enough of a burden to bear without me asking about it.

Tress
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous, mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown author, but borrowed from a friend

"Liberals claim to be open to hearing other peoples' views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 19:00   #34
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tress View Post
Why does that not surprise me in the least?

TR,

Didn't he have a son-in-law that was in our Battalion when we were there? I know who it is that I am thinking about, I had heard that he was Suddendeath's son-in-law, but I was never sure. Always thought that if it was true that he had enough of a burden to bear without me asking about it.

Tress
He was a black Captain, IIRC.

Seemed like a good dude to me, and I felt the same way about asking.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 20:02   #35
Tress
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper:

He was a black Captain, IIRC.

Seemed like a good dude to me, and I felt the same way about asking.

TR
That is who I remember also. I worked with him once and thought that he was a great Tm Ldr. Ironic that a Captain in SF knew more about SF than his father-in-law, SOCOM Commander, but then again "Butthead" from 751 probably knew more about SF than Suddendeath.

With what you stated earlier about Suddendeath's remarks during a briefing, I am going to assume then that some of the other things that I heard about Suddendeath were more than likely true.

I know that when Capt. "E" left the Bn. he went to the 82nd for command time, but lost track of him then. Too bad he could not find a way to have his father-in-law choke on a turkey bone during Thanksgiving dinner or something.

Tress
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous, mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown author, but borrowed from a friend

"Liberals claim to be open to hearing other peoples' views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 20:12   #36
mojaveman
Area Commander

Don't know if it's true or not but did hear a story that MG Suddath paid a visit to Det A in Berlin onetime and didn't like the mens appearence. They were on relaxed grooming standards but he told them that their hair was too long and that they needed to cut it. I guess he pissed off a lot troops after that one.

Also heard he was stormin' Norman's (Schwartzkopf) roomate at Westpoint.

Last edited by mojaveman; 09-26-2011 at 20:29.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:45   #37
Backwoods
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
There are tunnels under Panzer. I've been down two of them and seen the third. there may be more. There is supposedly a motor pool under the field by Panzer gym. It makes sense in the fact that this is the highest elevation on the kaserne, and the field never drains after a heavy rain.
I never knew that! Of course if I or someone on 13 had known about those tunnels we would have been down in those things for sure. The only thing I saw were reinforced trench lines over by the range.

As for pics, before I left A Co. we had re-hung the old German pics from WWII in the entrance with the pictures of the last teams from Bad Tolz. (Frames and prints of the old ODAs were courtesy of 13 team donations I hope they are still there.)
The conduct of unconventional warfare carries heavier demands than the wearing of a beret and the mastery of unusual firearms. Unconventional warfare is a state of mind as well as mission and distinctive set of tactics. -Col.(ret) Hy Rothstein

"Those that would sacrifice a little liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security." -Ben Franklin

Go gcreime cúnna ifrinn do bhall fearga!

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Johnny
Backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:15   #38
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

Pictures are still up. They are actually one of the last things I looked at before I ETS'd back to the states. Great mustaches.
Bechorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:50   #39
MVP
Quiet Professional

Trenches?

Backwoods,

I think you are talking about the old hunting trenches dating back a few hundred years. Every few years a historian from Boeblingen will coordinate a tour of the trenches for the locals. Try contacting the Garrison PAO for more info.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote