Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 09-10-2009, 10:22   #16
Richard
Quiet Professional

We doin' Brief-Backs or AARs? Some seem a little confused over the difference between the two.

And so it goes...

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:52   #17
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

OK, I'll bite.

Sitting in isolation can cause some to think of ways to mess with the uninitiated. We were in Iso for a quick DA mission and we were requesting supplies, weapons and explosives for the mission. Our Engineer decided it was time to test the new Candy Stripe S4 so he requested one HSBOS.

Well it was approved and we moved on and got ready for the brief back. During the question and answer period the S4 Captain just could not stand not knowing what a HSBOS was that he had approved. The 12B (Engineer for you young guys ) stated simply Heat Seeking Bag of Shit. Dead quiet and then Bo Gritz mumbled, "If you didn't know what it was why did you approve it?" and then burst out laughing.

As an aside, our quickie DA turned into a follow-on UW and we were in the jungle for a bit longer than planned. On a BBT we were informed that we were hit by a SSBOH. I will let you guys figure that one out. So the Captain got back at us.

Richard a mix of the two.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 14:12   #18
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Anyone else going to enter? We'll keep the contest open for a few more days . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 19:19   #19
2018commo
Quiet Professional

I once asked a rather infamous COL whose name rhymes with Potter to hold his questions till the end of the brief; well things kind of went downhill from there. One of the best butt chewings I ever had. I knew he had been a 10Gp CDR, but had no idea how short his fuse was...
Turns out I was set up, what are friends for anyway!

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 17:47   #20
Baht Dog
Quiet Professional

Wilber

Well I don’t see a sign that says this thread is closed yet.

So there we were, 18,000 feet above Yakima, nighttime HALO Op Circa late 1980’s.

The RP was off and we were dropped way off. There was no chance of making it to the DZ. But I was unaware of it at the time.

All the standard DZ markings were used to include bean bag light arrow and a white strobe.

I looked and looked and nothing was making sense and none of the landmarks registered. So of course with that being an area of deep gnarly ravines, mesa’s and canyons the “ah shit” factor was present.

I kept monitoring my altimeter, compass and desperately peering intently below for any sign of the DZ.

Suddenly, “there it was! “ A very faint white flashing light! Eureka! At least I can see the strobe.

I set up my approach looking for faint outlines of other canopies of my team members, chem-lights and the like. An entanglement under 1000 or so feet at night would most likely be fatal.

Just as I was getting ready to lower my combat equipment I could see a canyon wall looming out of the darkness. I was headed straight for it.

I quickly turned 180 degrees. Another canyon wall. “Shit, I’m in a box canyon”…at night, god knows where.

Another turn, 60 degrees this time, then SMACK…I slam into the bottom of the canyon into a slight slope. I laid there stunned, pinned under my ruck. I roll the ruck off, put my weapon into action and start to get my bearings. I see canyon walls all around. The “strobe light” going “click…click…click…” about 50 feet away.

“WTF”? “Where is everyone?” “ This ain’t the DZ”.

I go over to the “strobe.” It’s an electric fence, surrounding a large pen yard, set on 4’ tall steel fencing poles. Perfect for impaling a jumper landing in a dark canyon at night. The electric charge line is contacting a blade of grass and making a white spark with each cycle of the fence charge. That was my “strobe”.

“Well, at least I didn’t land on one of those 4’ Punji-Sticks and ram it through myself Vlad The Impaler style….”

I look up the rise, a small hill. At the top is a faint porch light hidden under an overhang. I head to the top of the rise on this canyon floor and see it’s a trailer. A few outbuildings are in dark perimeter shadows. I walk around the corner towards the door to knock. This was in the days before cell phones and radio was making no contact. So I needed to get back to the DZ so they could get accountability.

I round the corner and am staring down the barrel of a .357 magnum. “FREEZE MOTHERFUCKER”, the grizzled biker commanded.

I halted and calmly said; “whoa there fella, take it easy I’m a Staff Sergeant ___________with the United States Army Special Forces. We just conducted a night time parachute operation and we landed off target”.

He grunted; “let me see some ID”. I produced it and then he looked down the hill with a laugh and said “huh, damn good thing you didn’t land a little more to the right…I have a mean-ass 400 pound boar hog in that pen down there named Wilber and if you had landed in there he would have torn you to shreds”.

I gave the man twenty bucks to drive me back to the DZ. The team was scattered and the Team Sergeant broke his leg on that jump.

Even back during the late 80’s there were lots of grizzled biker types running meth labs up in them there hills.

So, I thought to myself; “damn, at least let me die in battle. Not torn to shreds pinned under my ruck by a 400 pound hog or have my head blown off by some tweaking biker”….

Next time I’ll give you the one about when I landed in a Thai Disco. Swooped in a night just like James Bond

Last edited by Baht Dog; 10-27-2011 at 18:00.
Baht Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 17:53   #21
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Dayum BD, I think you would have won if you posted before the deadline. Tell ya what though, if you're ever in LA, dinner and drinks are on me.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 18:20   #22
Baht Dog
Quiet Professional

Sound great RL!