Old 05-07-2010, 15:54   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

40 Years Later - Siege of Ben Het

Siege of Ben Het.

Richard

40 Years Later, Green Beret Has Unfinished Business In Vietnam
KXLY, Spokane, WA

In May of 1969 Jerry Dellwo was a Green Beret medic serving in Vietnam. Trained to save the lives of his comrades, he remains haunted more than 40 years later by the one soldier he was forced to leave behind.

Every day, step after step, Jerry Dellwo walks his route. For the last 20 years he's delivered mail for the U.S. Postal Service in North Spokane. The people in the neighborhood he delivers the mail to have no idea where he’s walked before or that with every step he takes he gets a little bit farther from the life he left behind.

That is until he got a phone call earlier this year.

"Have you ever wished you got a phone call from someone who gave you an important mission and whisked you away to a far off land just to break the boredom?" Dellwo asked. "I did. I got that call."

The call took him 40 years back to 1969. Gas was 35 cents a gallon, Richard Nixon was president and "Aquarius" dominated the charts. Dellwo was a 22-year old Green Beret who had just arrived in South Vietnam, a cocky kid from Spokane about to experience the horrors of war.

Dellwo was part of a 12-man Special Forces team assigned to Ben Het, a remote outpost of bunkers and barbed wire manned by 500 Montagnard irregulars and a team of Vietnamese Special Forces soldiers. In the spring of 1969 the North Vietnamese Army laid siege to Ben Het for 55 long days.

"We were assaulting a hill," Dellwo says, remembering a night in late May of ‘69. "We were trying to position ourselves on top of that hill. Sergeant Anastacio Montez was the commanding officer of one of the companies in our battalion."

Dellwo hadn't met Sergeant First Class Montez until that day. By nightfall, they found themselves in the fight of their lives.

"He suffered a bullet wound through his jaw and he was losing quite a bit of blood," remembers Dellwo.

Six men in the team were gravely injured. The rest went to get help while Dellwo, the team medic, stayed behind to lead the wounded out, desperately trying to stay ahead of the NVA. SFC Montez was struggling with each step.

Then they heard footsteps in the jungle; when the footsteps stopped, they thought the end might be near. Dellwo was the only one with a weapon and had only two magazines of ammunition.

But out of the darkness stepped a man who would save countless lives in Vietnam. It was Australian Warrant Officer Keith Payne, who was out in the jungle looking for members of his unit but stumbled upon the wounded soldiers with Dellwo.

"The rotting wood leaves in those forested area, when you disturb them, they glow in the dark," explained Dellwo. Warrant Officer Payne had followed that trail through the darkness to Dellwo and his men.

Payne began to lead them to safety but SFC Montez could not go on.

"He had fallen back against my shoulder," recalls Dellwo. "My arm was bare and I noticed just a tapping on the tips of my finger. I realized it was blood dripping off the end of my fingers. That's when I knew. Because it was pitch black and I couldn't see anything. That's when I realized, he's bleeding enough I can feel it on my fingertips. He was getting weaker. That's when I said we wouldn't move any further."

They called for a helicopter to carry him out and tried to comfort Montez. They knew by then he would not survive.

"I'd never talked to him before that night, as I could recall," Dellwo said. "After spending seven hours with him that night, we were like brothers. Montez actually died in my arms."

Then came the gut-wrenching decision: The surviving men had to push on, leaving SFC Montez's body behind. Dellwo had every intention of going back, but the next day, he was hit by mortar fire and spent six weeks in a Tokyo hospital.

The area where Montez died was bombed by American forces but Dellwo always believed Montez was still out there somewhere.

"They believed his body had been destroyed by one of those 500-pound bombs. I was never convinced of that and I've been waiting to go back there ever since," Dellwo said.

He would get that chance, though he would have to wait 41 years.

This spring Dellwo got the call that shook him from his boredom. It was JPAC, the Joint Prisoners of War Missing in Action Accounting Command, an organization dedicated to finding the remains of American soldiers.

They asked after all these years: Could he find Montez? Dellwo answered the call saying he felt he could walk to the very spot where they left him. He would have company along in the search: Warrant Officer Keith Payne would join him in the search.

"I was the medic there and Payne was the commanding officer," explains Dellwo. "He'd be able to lead us back there better than anybody."

The landscape looked nothing like it did in 1969 but Payne and Dellwo managed to narrow the search area to a space one-sixth the size of a football field. They searched for two days, but came up empty. No signs of Montez and no clues but these soldiers would not quit.

"There were Montagnard tribespeople that were with us. I'm connected with one of them," says Dellwo. "He's going to try and find people who were there with us. Tribes people are very good at finding their way."

It's not clear yet if Dellwo and Payne will get another chance to find SFC Montez. For his part, Dellwo has his pictures of that night and fond memories of his time in Vietnam. After his injury and release from the hospital in Tokyo, Dellwo returned to Ben Het and supervised the medics. For their actions on that day in May of ’69 that they worked to bring those wounded soldiers back to safety Dellwo received the Silver Star and the Purple Heart. Payne received the Victoria Cross, Australia’s equivalent of the Medal of Honor.

Now, more than 40 years later, Dellwo believes he still has unfinished business in Vietnam.

"I would like to go back, just to get involved in the tribes people and the province. Those are the people I worked with when I was there,” he said.

When he retires from the Postal Service, Dellwo wants to go back and work as a medic in peacetime Vietnam and then, hopefully, he'll get another chance to find that soldier he had to leave behind.

http://www.kxly.com/news/23480853/detail.html
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 17:03   #2
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Great story. Thanks for posting it, Richard.
Old 05-07-2010, 18:30   #3
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Shakespear explained it best in Henry V. As England with Henry V to lead them into battle against the French on St Chrispen's Day, he goes among the soldiers to bring up their spirits. He ends his speech with this:

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

This is why a man risks his life for one he has just met. He is a member of that brotherhood. And tho they have never met, they are brothers and will do things that seem superhuman, because it needs to be done.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ

Last edited by Green Light; 05-13-2010 at 12:34.
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:13   #4
mark46th
Quiet Professional

The kids in the 18X thread, worried about bonuses should read this. If they say,"Oh, I understand, now" they should go on. If they don't get it, they should think about going somewhere else...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:45   #5
Green Light
Quiet Professional

I remember my first year on a detachment - we lived SF 24/7. On our time off we gave each other weapons classes, went to the bear pit and beat each other silly, picked the brains of the NCOs in the barracks, and generally dreamed of the day that we would be in the same spot as Dellwo and Montez so we could prove ourselves. Then we'd get the nod from the guys who served in the projects, on the Son Tay Raid, and the guys who fought with the yards. We wanted to be like them and no amount of money made any difference. It was being where we were, not the money. Frankly, we would have done it for free - a room in the barracks and three meals a day would have kept us going. We wanted to be like those heroes. As the rest of the QPs will attest, it was a way of life.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 13:58   #6
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Light View Post
As the rest of the QPs will attest, it was a way of life.
And you live it forever after!!
Old 05-13-2010, 14:09   #7
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
The kids in the 18X thread, worried about bonuses should read this. If they say,"Oh, I understand, now" they should go on. If they don't get it, they should think about going somewhere else...
No sweat, Mark! Those 18-x'er's remarks bug me, and used to bug me more. However, I decided that those who think about bonuses in all likelihood WILL be going somewhere else - sooner, rather than later.
Old 05-13-2010, 15:07   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

I almost got a bonus once - reenlisted for 6 years as a SSG 91B4S and was given an $8000 bonus - orders to report for OCS in 45 days came down 4 days after reenlisting and they made me pay my bonus back upon reporting in to OCS. Those were the days!

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:00   #9
CW1287
Asset

18X Required Read

Gentlemen,

I have been reading as many of the posts as possible, JJ_BPK assigned A Message to Garcia, Elbert Hubbard, 1899 as one of the assigned readings for all 18x recruits. I believe this should also be an assigned reading for all future 18x and future SFAS potentials as Mark46th posted. Thank you Richard for posting this, As a SF hopeful I found this to be a great read. This like all the posts by the QPs shows that the reason you join should not be for the money or to be John Rambo.

LT W
CW1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:07   #10
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW1287 View Post
Gentlemen,

I have been reading as many of the posts as possible, JJ_BPK assigned A Message to Garcia, Elbert Hubbard, 1899 as one of the assigned readings for all 18x recruits. I believe this should also be an assigned reading for all future 18x and future SFAS potentials as Mark46th posted. Thank you Richard for posting this, As an SF hopeful I found this to be a great read. This like all the posts by the QPs shows that the reason you join should not be for the money or to be John Rambo.

LT W
Good luck on SFAS if you decide to go for it,and you're absolutely right on those 2 guys for getting solid advice..............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:59   #11
Badger52
Area Commander

Thank you for posting that.

There is a nice photo at a local paper that carried the story, with Jerry Dellwo and WO Payne , now 78, during that return trip.

http://www.spokesman.com/photos/2010/mar/23/101553/

Hope remains that such continue to be told, so that others may get a sense of what right looks like.
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 13:38   #12
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Service in The US ARMY SPECIAL FORCES:

We did not serve for the money, the medals, the fame, or the glory. What we did was our job, for the most important thing in life; The people on the right and the people on the left of us at 14 degrees 10 minutes North and 107 degrees 53 minutes East....Regard's, tom kelly
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote