Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hall of Heroes > Attention to Orders

Old 05-05-2009, 14:38   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) conducts Distinguished Service Cross and Silver

Well done Gent's! Well done!

10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) conducts Distinguished Service Cross and Silver Star awards ceremony

MEDIA ADVISORY: 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) conducts Distinguished Service Cross and Silver Star awards ceremony
FORT CARSON, Colo. (USASOC News Service, May 5, 2009) – One Soldier will receive the Distinguished Service Cross and two Soldiers will receive the Silver Star May 14 at 2 p.m. at the Special Events Center on Fort Carson.

Staff Sgt. Jarion Halbisengibbs, a native of Fremont, OH, assigned to 3rd Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne), will be receiving the DSC for extraordinary heroism in action on Sept. 10, 2007 while serving as the Detachment Weapons Sergeant, Operational Detachment Alpha 083, Samara, Iraq, during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The DSC, established by President Woodrow Wilson on January 2, 1918, is awarded to a person who, while serving in any capacity with the Army, distinguishes himself by extraordinary heroism not justifying the award of a Medal of Honor; while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing/foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing Armed Force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. The act or acts of heroism must have been so notable and have involved risk of life so extraordinary as to set the individual apart from his comrades.
Capt. Matthew A. Chaney, a native of Peoria, IL, assigned to 3rd BN, 10th SFG(A), will be receiving the Silver Star for gallantry in action on Sept. 10, 2007 while serving as the Detachment Commander, ODA 083, Samarra, Iraq, in support of OIF.

Sgt. 1st Class Michael D. Lindsay, a native of Cora Peak, NC, assigned to 3rd BN, 10th SFG(A),will be receiving the Silver Star for gallantry in action on Sept. 10, 2007 while serving as Detachment Communications Sergeant, ODA 083, Samarra, Iraq, during OIF.

The Silver Star is awarded to a person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Army, is cited for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force, or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. The required gallantry, while of a lesser degree than that required for the Distinguished Service Cross, must nevertheless have been performed with marked distinction.

Media interested in attending this event or interested in conducting pre-ceremony interviews should contact the 10th SFG(A) Public Affairs Office at 719-524-1220.

For attendance to the event, please contact the PAO office by 12:00 p.m. Wednesday, May 13.

To schedule interviews, please contact the PAO office by 12 p.m. Friday, May 8. Interviews with the award recipients will be conducted May 11-13 only; no interviews will be granted the day of the ceremony to facilitate the distinctive occasion for the award recipients and their families.

Gate call will be at 12:30 p.m. at Fort Carson Gate #1 Visitors Center parking lot, off Highway 115.

http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20...090505-02.html
Old 05-05-2009, 14:41   #2
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Congratulations!
Old 05-05-2009, 14:53   #3
csquare
Quiet Professional

Well done warriors!
I do not regret a day I spent in uniform—I’m immensely proud of my service. If I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned what a truly remarkable thing it is to be a combat veteran. Now I want to live an exceptional life for those who never made it home.
csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 15:05   #4
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

FORT CARSON, Colo. (USASOC News Service, May 5, 2009) – One Soldier will receive the Distinguished Service Cross and two Soldiers will receive the Silver Star May 14 at 2 p.m. at the Special Events Center on Fort Carson.

Hero's,All three of them. I've said this before and I'm saying it again, these Warriors make me proud to be a Green Beret............

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 05-05-2009 at 15:38. Reason: Edit to include that their was 3 of them.................
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 15:33   #5
echoes
Area Commander

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Well done Gent's! Well done!

Staff Sgt. Jarion Halbisengibbs, a native of Fremont, OH, assigned to 3rd Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne), will be receiving the DSC for extraordinary heroism in action on Sept. 10, 2007 while serving as the Detachment Weapons Sergeant, Operational Detachment Alpha 083, Samara, Iraq, during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Sgt. 1st Class Michael D. Lindsay, a native of Cora Peak, NC, assigned to 3rd BN, 10th SFG(A),will be receiving the Silver Star for gallantry in action on Sept. 10, 2007 while serving as Detachment Communications Sergeant, ODA 083, Samarra, Iraq, during OIF.
Congradulations, Staff Sgt. Jarion Halbisengibbs, Capt. Matthew A. Chaney, and Sgt. 1st Class Michael D. Lindsay!!!

10th Group has such a remarkable history, it is great to know that the traditions are carrying on!

Well Done Men, and Thank You for Your Service!

Holly

Last edited by echoes; 05-05-2009 at 15:37.
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 15:50   #6
dennisw
Area Commander

Congratulations! Apparently, Staff. Sgt. Halbisengibbs was also promoted to SFC in May, so additional congradulations are in order.
Old 05-05-2009, 16:25   #7
wet dog

Good Job Guys,...

excellent work!

Who in the area will be attending, any QP's from this group going to the ceremony on the 14th?
Old 05-05-2009, 18:44   #8
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Well done, Gentlemen. You are a credit to the US Army Special Forces.
De Oppresso Liber. "The Best"

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 20:16   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
Well done, Gentlemen. You are a credit to the US Army Special Forces.
De Oppresso Liber. "The Best"
You're just saying that cause they're 10th Gp guys!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:18   #10
jdl141
Quiet Professional

Congrats Gentlemen.
jdl141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 17:40   #11
zzyzx
Asset

Army Times Editorial

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/0..._valor_051309/

Quote:
3 Carson soldiers to receive high honors

By Dan Elliott - The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday May 13, 2009 17:39:41 EDT

FORT CARSON, Colo. — Staff Sgt. Jarion Halbisen-Gibbs felt something like “a white-hot shot of lightning” pierce his gut when an Iraqi insurgent’s bullet tore through his small intestine and lodged in his buttock.

He and other Green Berets kept fighting, and when the September 2007 raid was over, 12 suspected Iraqi insurgents were dead — including the target of the raid, a man described by the Army as a high-value terrorist who was masterminding extortion and kidnappings.

On Thursday, the Army will give the Distinguished Service Cross, the second-highest medal for valor a soldier can get, to Halbisen-Gibbs. Two of his fellow soldiers from the 10th Special Forces Group, Capt. Matthew A. Chaney and Sgt. 1st Class Michael D. Lindsay, will get the Silver Star, which ranks just below the Distinguished Service Cross.

In a dimly lighted, wood-trimmed regimental mess hall at Fort Carson this week, they recounted the events of Sept. 10, 2007, when they were among about 20 U.S. and Iraqi troops on a 2 a.m. raid on a rural compound in Samarra, Iraq.

With Halbisen-Gibbs in the lead, the three men stormed one of the buildings, detonating a grenade and firing their weapons. Inside, Chaney was shot in the pelvis and Lindsay in the throat, and the force of an enemy grenade sent those two flying back out through the doorway. The blast of that grenade threw Halbisen-Gibbs into a corner inside the building.

“I felt an amazing blow to my midsection that took me off my feet,” Lindsay said. He was vomiting and hyperventilating, too weak to get up or even hold his rifle, so he rolled over, pulled out his handgun and began firing toward the insurgents.

“When I was a kid, and I played war, I was always that kid that cheated and never died when somebody else shot me,” he said with a laugh. “Dying is something I’ve accepted a long time ago, but dying helpless on the ground is something I’m not willing to accept.”

Chaney temporarily lost feeling in his legs but took cover behind an insurgent’s body. He kept firing while trying to reach other team members on his radio, which he later learned had been shot and wasn’t working.

“So only the yelling was getting disseminated,” he said. “We were yelling to each other and trying to find out what’s going on.”

Shrapnel from the insurgents’ grenade had mangled the thumb on Halbisen-Gibbs’ firing hand. Dazed and unable to see through the smoke and dust, he went outside to look for Chaney and Lindsay. He began running to Lindsay when he was shot in the abdomen.

“I was so jacked up on adrenaline, I didn’t really feel it that much,” Halbisen-Gibbs said. “Honestly, my thumb hurt worse than anything else at the time.”

He shot and killed the insurgent who injured him, then rallied the Iraqi government troops to press on with the attack.

“It wasn’t until about 15 minutes later when shock really set in that I really, really started hurting,” he said.

With other soldiers wrapping up the attack and attending to Chaney and Lindsay, Halbisen-Gibbs told them, “ ‘Hey, I got shot, and I’m going to go take a knee now.’ At that point I was pretty much done.”

None of the U.S. or Iraqi government troops were killed.

Only 18 other Army personnel have won the Distinguished Service Cross in the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and 547 have won the Silver Star, according to Doug Sterner, a military historian in Pueblo, Colo. The Army doesn’t track the numbers.

The Medal of Honor is the nation’s highest award for military valor. The Army’s Distinguished Service Cross, and the equivalent service awards in the Navy and Air Force, are the second-highest valor award.

In a written account of the action, the Army said Chaney, Lindsay and Halbisen-Gibbs “acted with the utmost of bravery and valor to remove a heavily armed and entrenched enemy stronghold.”

Chaney said their training allowed them to stay focused and think clearly despite the chaos and danger.

“The training allows you to think, even when your heart’s racing, and that threat is there. You actually can make sound decisions, and the ones that are required to be reflexive, your training does kick in,” he said.

Lindsay said the training helps them manage stress and fear.

“You’re never going to get rid of the fear. It’s always there,” he said. “I don’t want to go out on a mission with a guy that’s not scared, because that dude’s a maniac.”

Lindsay, 30, of Gates County, N.C., and Halbisen-Gibbs, 27, of Peterboro, N.H., each had at least two operations and both had sections of their intestines removed. Chaney, 31, of Washington, Ill., had at least three operations.

All are still on active duty, and Halbisen-Gibbs has been promoted to sergeant first class. Chaney and Lindsay have served another tour in Iraq. Halbisen-Gibbs is in training and ready for another deployment.

All three are married. Halbisen-Gibbs and Chaney each has a son. Lindsay’s wife is expecting twins in June.
zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 18:28   #12
zauber1
Auxiliary

Training Credited

[“The training allows you to think, even when your heart’s racing, and that threat is there. You actually can make sound decisions, and the ones that are required to be reflexive, your training does kick in,” he said.

Lindsay said the training helps them manage stress and fear.]

Somewhere there is an NCO and a group of NCOs that should take a bow for the training they imparted to these men.

You all have my respect and admiration for being American soldiers.
Old 05-13-2009, 18:39   #13
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

Nicely done gentlemen...nicely done.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 19:52   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Well done, brothers.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 20:08   #15
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Congrads to all
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote