Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 05-23-2022, 09:03   #1
Badger52
Area Commander

Swords of Lightning (ODA-595)

Just happened to catch a quick interview on FNC by Dana Perino with Bob Pennington, Mark Nutsch and Jim DeFelice covering the release of their book that chronicles the ODA-595 mission at the outset of OEF.

Nice interview and looking forward to it arriving.
https://www.amazon.com/Swords-Lightn.../dp/163758153X

After they briefly discussed how they (finally) arrived at the title, Pennington opined that he thought it should've been named "ODA-595 rides werewolves into battle"
lmao

Shameless Marketing Department:
For those that haven't done so, if you use Amazon create yourself a Smile Amazon account. Same stuff, same place. Then select Green Beret Foundation as your designated charity. It's easy to do & using that link instead of the regular Amazon URL makes them kick a piece of all your purchases to the GBF. A Brazilian here & a Brazilian there... pretty soon you're talking about real money.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:52   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
"ODA-595 rides werewolves into battle"

Shameless Marketing Department:

For those that haven't done so, if you use Amazon create yourself a Smile Amazon account. Same stuff, same place. Then select Green Beret Foundation as your designated charity. It's easy to do & using that link instead of the regular Amazon URL makes them kick a piece of all your purchases to the GBF. A Brazilian here & a Brazilian there... pretty soon you're talking about real money.
Love the title..

I have had a SMILE account for the GBF forever..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (91.9 KB, 41 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 14:52   #3
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Love the title..
LOL, this oughta be a video game

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 05-24-2022, 10:03   #4
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

JJ_BPK and Badger52

How would you rate "Swords" compared to Jim Donahue's accounts in the "Black Jack" series. Following in Donahue's and Snider's footsteps, I found Jim's first person accounts very real on both an emotional and action level to the point that I could smell the jungle heat and feel the pain of loss when one of the "Cambodes" had been hit. My fear is that "Swords" will read like a third person action/adventure trope and leave me feeling like I just played a video game.I got a b.day coming up and was thinking about recommending "Swords" to my daughter for a b.day present for me, but I will wait to read yous guys opinions first
Old 05-24-2022, 14:07   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
JJ_BPK and Badger52

How would you rate "Swords" compared to Jim Donahue's accounts in the "Black Jack" series. Following in Donahue's and Snider's footsteps, I found Jim's first person accounts very real on both an emotional and action level to the point that I could smell the jungle heat and feel the pain of loss when one of the "Cambodes" had been hit. My fear is that "Swords" will read like a third person action/adventure trope and leave me feeling like I just played a video game.I got a b.day coming up and was thinking about recommending "Swords" to my daughter for a b.day present for me, but I will wait to read yous guys opinions first
I'll be delighted to let you know. I ordered it 10 minutes after the interview; it's inbound & when it gets here it goes to the head of the class on the nightstand. Given the subject it was an automatic order, just 'cause.

I've read & seen various accounts and that includes both Robin Moore's book on TF Dagger and some stuff from Halberstadt. Mark Nutsch during the interview mentioned that this had been an effort of many years to get the story told "right" (whatever that turns out to be). But I'll let you know. Agree that Donahue's work you cite is a high bar indeed, so we'll see.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:43   #6
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'll be delighted to let you know. I ordered it 10 minutes after the interview; it's inbound & when it gets here it goes to the head of the class on the nightstand. Given the subject it was an automatic order, just 'cause.

I've read & seen various accounts and that includes both Robin Moore's book on TF Dagger and some stuff from Halberstadt. Mark Nutsch during the interview mentioned that this had been an effort of many years to get the story told "right" (whatever that turns out to be). But I'll let you know. Agree that Donahue's work you cite is a high bar indeed, so we'll see.
Thank you Badger. I will await your review. Your opinion is FINEST KIND!
Old 05-26-2022, 14:13   #7
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

I agree TJ, Donahue's books were extremely well written! That is a tough bar to reach.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 15:59   #8
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshooter View Post
I agree TJ, Donahue's books were extremely well written! That is a tough bar to reach.
Otay, Buckwheats, here's my impression from the first 15 minutes. Rain has stopped and #3 grand-daughter celebrates her parole from the school-system by helping grandma pot some flowers on the deck.

1. Premise to compare with Donahue's works (or a few others') is a false starting point. Different styles. That this is a collaboration is evident in the style, even to the little back & forth within a team over the sharing of goodies received from a wife.

2. The accounting of events is much more even-handed, told as it is with a bit of familiar humility I've seen in works by SF Soldiers. Don't worry, they also were not impressed with the accounts of what did (and DIDN'T) happen seen in Moore's book on TF Dagger. They even relate that book would've been worse if it hadn't been cleaned up before final publication. But too much "literary license" attributed in large part to a particular self-serving individual.

3. In the "Grrrrrr" department, they were told NOT to submit their team members for Silver Stars. So Bronzes. AF TACP's got Silver and that rubbed, as well as someone who called in strikes on the prison seeing one. This type of thing has been seen in Special Forces since ever and the team's attitude toward "medals" is typical.

4. Much to appreciate in how they deal with their G's and Chiefs. No other service or branch approaches such things with such success.

5. Several photos I hadn't seen before. And it was REEEEALLY nice to get the verbatim dialog about the incident of the jet-driver that wouldn't descend 10,000-ft above his own hard-deck.

So that's my 15 minute quick-scan and I rate it a worthy addition to anyone's shelf of SF History.

Favorite quote stopped at when literally flipping pages:

"The weight of American foreign policy is in our rucksacks."
- CW2 Bob Pennington, ODA 595

The battle in the Atlantic and Mr. Patrick Henry are on hold for a couple nights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swords-of-Lightning.jpg (68.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Badger52; 05-26-2022 at 19:26. Reason: add book pic & correct Pennington rank
Old 05-27-2022, 09:46   #9
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Otay, Buckwheats, here's my impression from the first 15 minutes. Rain has stopped and #3 grand-daughter celebrates her parole from the school-system by helping grandma pot some flowers on the deck.

1. Premise to compare with Donahue's works (or a few others') is a false starting point. Different styles. That this is a collaboration is evident in the style, even to the little back & forth within a team over the sharing of goodies received from a wife.

2. The accounting of events is much more even-handed, told as it is with a bit of familiar humility I've seen in works by SF Soldiers. Don't worry, they also were not impressed with the accounts of what did (and DIDN'T) happen seen in Moore's book on TF Dagger. They even relate that book would've been worse if it hadn't been cleaned up before final publication. But too much "literary license" attributed in large part to a particular self-serving individual.

3. In the "Grrrrrr" department, they were told NOT to submit their team members for Silver Stars. So Bronzes. AF TACP's got Silver and that rubbed, as well as someone who called in strikes on the prison seeing one. This type of thing has been seen in Special Forces since ever and the team's attitude toward "medals" is typical.

4. Much to appreciate in how they deal with their G's and Chiefs. No other service or branch approaches such things with such success.

5. Several photos I hadn't seen before. And it was REEEEALLY nice to get the verbatim dialog about the incident of the jet-driver that wouldn't descend 10,000-ft above his own hard-deck.

So that's my 15 minute quick-scan and I rate it a worthy addition to anyone's shelf of SF History.

Favorite quote stopped at when literally flipping pages:

"The weight of American foreign policy is in our rucksacks."
- CW2 Bob Pennington, ODA 595

The battle in the Atlantic and Mr. Patrick Henry are on hold for a couple nights.
Thanks Spanky Gonna ask Daughter #2 to get this for my B-day.
Old 05-28-2022, 15:39   #10
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Thanks Spanky Gonna ask Daughter #2 to get this for my B-day.

Well my birthday is also coming up...so happy birthday to me!

Have had my smile account for the GBF for years now.
Old 05-28-2022, 16:28   #11
PRB
Quiet Professional

The first ODA I was assigned to when I went SF...595...Johnny Santora...'Johnny G' was the Team Sgt (killed in a chopper crash later in Columbia when he went to 7th Gp.)...stayed on the same team for 6 years until the Team Sgt.....back in the day when you could do that I guess. It was a MFF SADM at that time.

So, yeah, I will get the book
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote