Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 07-22-2020, 12:03   #1
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

That's right baby, 12 inches cut, now what?

Get your mind out of the gutter.

Been growing my hair since I retired and its FINALLY long enough to donate for a wig. Does anyone have a recommendation where to send it?

Maybe someone here has benefited from one of the many groups who make wigs for medical patients and can offer advice.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:55   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat in the hat View Post

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to send it?
My wife had breast cancer and while going thru the surgery, chemo, radiation treatments, it was suggested she visit a local support group in Key West for a free wig. While we were I noticed references to real hair wigs. The wigs were made from donations. Over the next several years, I donated two 12inch ponytails, even though they were very salt/pepper shaded. They said that they match all colors and if they didn't have what was needed, the donation could be colored.

This was some 15yrs ago, but my g-daughter donated to Wigs for Kids in the name of her 10yo friend who died of brain cancer.

from google: Currently, the three biggest charities in the US that accept hair donations are Locks of Love, Wigs for Kids (Em & my donations), and Pantene Beautiful Lengths

PS: The girls on a hospital visit to cheer up the kids' chemo ward, the year before Matilda passed away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emmy matilda hospital visit.jpg (68.3 KB, 59 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 13:25   #3
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
from google: Currently, the three biggest charities in the US that accept hair donations are Locks of Love, Wigs for Kids (Em & my donations), and Pantene Beautiful Lengths
I'm familiar with locks of love and Wigs for Kids - both do good work. I'm not familiar with Pantene Beautiful Lengths, but looks like a philanthropic arm of a hair care company which should be GTG.

When scheduling to have it cut, let the salon know your intention to donate and see if they have a pre-existing relationship with a charity to accept the hair donation.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 17:24   #4
Gypsy
Area Commander

My niece has been doing this for years. She has beautiful blonde locks. Locks for Love or as suggested check with a local salon.
Old 07-22-2020, 19:06   #5
PRB
Quiet Professional

Hell, send it to me...my Davy Crocket fur hat is about wore out!
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:23   #6
TJ11B
Auxiliary

Hair donation

Locks of Love would be my suggestion. My wife has donated to them several times in the past.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:39   #7
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Locks of Love, Paul. You might recall my late wife, Heather's friends joined her and had their hair cut short and/or shaved when she had her hair cut before it fell out from her chemotherapy.

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 07-23-2020 at 08:41.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 14:06   #8
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 View Post
Locks of Love, Paul. You might recall my late wife, Heather's friends joined her and had their hair cut short and/or shaved when she had her hair cut before it fell out from her chemotherapy.
All I needed to hear.

She was a wonderful woman.
Just looked through a box of old pics and have some from your wedding.
Best cake cutting EVER!!!!!!!!

American on the inside, useful on the outside

Last edited by cat in the hat; 07-23-2020 at 14:09.
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 20:16   #9
Badger52
Area Commander

Locks of Love. #2 grand-daughter keeps growing hers out & sends these luxurious honey-colored things to them periodically.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:44   #10
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat in the hat View Post
All I needed to hear.

She was a wonderful woman.
Just looked through a box of old pics and have some from your wedding.
Best cake cutting EVER!!!!!!!!
Thanks!