Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 06-26-2008, 12:30   #1
Christophe
Guerrilla

Question Dalton Fury aka Thomas Greer

http://www.daltonfury.com/
Another book about the Tora Bora mission.
Does anyone have more info on this upcoming book?
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 15:01   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
http://www.daltonfury.com/
Another book about the Tora Bora mission.
Does anyone have more info on this upcoming book?
Christophe,

This website is not going to discuss yet another Army Ranger (Thomas Greer) making a profit while violating an oath of secrecy.

This thread is closed.

Team Sergeant
Old 06-28-2008, 15:11   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Edit to add;

In the interest of the general public we will keep this thread open.

There will be more to come on dalton fury.....

If you wonder why we've not spoke of Ranger Greer before you might find this link interesting...

When Special Forces soldiers write books they must first get the blessing of USSOCOM.

Handing out classified information in a time or war is not a smart thing to do.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/0..._book_080131w/

The book, which Fury has already written, is tentatively titled Kill bin Laden and will be published by St. Martin’s Press.

But Fury’s plans to publish the book have drawn the ire of Delta’s two higher headquarters – Joint Special Operations Command, which runs the United States’ most secret special operations missions, and U.S. Special Operations Command.

Fury said that, as required by the agreement he signed when he left the unit and retired, he sent Delta a copy of his manuscript for security review.

“They came up with a list of redactions of items they thought ought to be taken out,” he said. “I told them I would honor every one of those. However, they were never ever given to me.”

Delta’s higher headquarters apparently intervened, according to Fury. “It’s not Delta’s fault,” he said. “It’s their higher command – JSOC and SOCOM have the say. And they … collectively decided not to provide me with any detailed redactions after a year of trying through my attorney.”

“All I got back was responses [reminding me of] my commitment to the classified information agreement that I signed … [and] basically threatening to possibly take me to court over this.”

Fury said that after SOCOM “stifled it,” he sent the manuscript to the Defense Department’s Office of Security Review.

“OSR failed to respond in any timely manner at all, after numerous requests from my attorney.

“The comment that SOCOM made was that the sensitive information was so thoroughly woven into the manuscript that any attempt at detailed redaction would be literally impossible. They chose not to do it.”

“We did receive a manuscript from [the author] for security review,” said SOCOM spokesman Army Col. Hans Bush. “The manuscript did not pass security review because it was found to contain classified information. We notified [the author] through his lawyer last fall. To date this remains unresolved. “We are still willing to work with the author in the even he resubmits a manuscript that does not contain classified information.”
Old 06-28-2008, 15:28   #4
mdb23
Guerrilla

Quite possibly a dumb question, but what purpose does it serve to use a pseudonym when writing a book such as this?

I would have to think that anyone in the SOF community would immediatly know who this was (how many Delta Majors could there have been in Tora Bora in that timeframe), and the author openly advertises his service in Delta on his internet bios (such as his bio on the AMU faculty page), so PERSEC doens't seem to be the reason.......

Does the non disclosure agreement require it?

Last edited by mdb23; 07-02-2008 at 19:22.
mdb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 15:38   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb23 View Post
Quite possibly a dumb question, but what purpose does it serve to use a pseudonym when writing a book such as this?

I would have to think that anyone in the SOF community would immediatly know who this was (how many Delta Majors could there have been in Tora Bora in that timeframe), and Mr. Greer openly advertises his service in Delta on his internet bios (such as his bio on the AMU faculty page), so PERSEC doens't seem to be the reason.......

Does the non disclosure agreement require it?
We could discuss this all day, but were not going to, not on here and not in public view. You could write dalton fury and ask him.

This website will not discuss anything concerning Special Operations SMU's.

Team Sergeant
Old 06-28-2008, 20:28   #6
mdb23
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
We could discuss this all day, but were not going to, not on here and not in public view. You could write dalton fury and ask him.

This website will not discuss anything concerning Special Operations SMU's.

Team Sergeant

Understood.

I was just confused by the use of the psyeudonym, and your disclosure of his name in the second pot in the thread.

My apologies.
mdb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:17   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb23 View Post
Understood.

I was just confused by the use of the psyeudonym, and your disclosure of his name in the second pot in the thread.

My apologies.

Some US Army Special Operations Missions are classified, the men that go on them are not.

Most likely every Special Forces soldier on this website has been on a classified mission but you don't see us writing books about them, especially while we're engaged in the same shooting war.

Ranger Thomas Greer has decided to write a book about a classified US Army Special Operations mission against the wishes of USASOC, if he's man enough to do that why not place his name on it, suspense and a profit motive is all I can suspect.

dalton fury has contacted me and requested to remove the posts on this website, I responded with the following:

Ranger Greer,

As a former officer in the United States Army, tell me you did not take an oath of allegiance, receive a classified briefing and sign paperwork that stated you would not publicly discuss anything related to the JSOC unit you were assigned to and I’ll be happy to remove any mention of you, your book or your website.

Ranger Greer decided not to respond to the above, he has taken his stand and I've taken mine.

Ranger Greer knows about this thread and can respond to it as he desires.

The floor is yours Ranger Greer.

Team Sergeant
Old 07-02-2008, 19:16   #8
Christophe
Guerrilla

Question

Team Sergeant,

Sir,
can it be compared to the large amount of SAS books that came out after the first Gulf War, where the likes of Andy McNab and others got into trouble for writing books?
What happens to soldiers of such units that write books about certain units, besides no longer being invited to reunions? To they have to explain themselves to court?
Why, in the first place, are publishers allowed to publish books that have sensitive info in them?

Regards,

Chris.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 20:16   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
Team Sergeant,

Sir,
can it be compared to the large amount of SAS books that came out after the first Gulf War, where the likes of Andy McNab and others got into trouble for writing books?
What happens to soldiers of such units that write books about certain units, besides no longer being invited to reunions? To they have to explain themselves to court?
Why, in the first place, are publishers allowed to publish books that have sensitive info in them?

Regards,

Chris.
We shall see when dalton fury's aka thomas greer's book hits the bookshelves.

thomas greer will most likely laugh about this in a few years after he's made millions producing a hollywood movie.

No one in SOF will be talking to him from now on, we'll maybe Ranger haney.

Team Sergeant
Old 07-04-2008, 11:52   #10
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

Thanks for the clarification TS. I started reading Haney's book long ago and suspected he was shooting his mouth off without proper authority. I couldn't finish it and am glad I didn't pay for it. I'll pass on Greer's book too.
"The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not." TR

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke
dr. mabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 14:55   #11
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

I'll not be purchasing Maj. Greers book. He did afterall sign an NDA and that's UNSAT.

I'm also surprised at how many "sponsors" are on that website. I may be abandoning them also.
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 22:14   #12
randy slaton
BANNED USER

We couldn't care less about what you think...

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 07-11-2008 at 22:56.
randy slaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:18   #13
Aequitas
Quiet Professional

wtf

If I didn't sign a NDA then what the F@CK did i sign three different times through the Q course and at Group?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:55   #14
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
If I didn't sign a NDA then what the F@CK did i sign three different times through the Q course and at Group?
And you can bet Ranger greer and Ranger haney signed many more NDA's than you.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:16   #15
Guy
Quiet Professional

LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
I'm still signing them (NDA) and I'm not even in SF anymore.

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote