Old 12-13-2018, 16:02   #1
andreas
Asset

Troop Leading Exercises?

I am currently an ROTC Cadet in my 3rd year, focusing primarily on the science of warfare. We have been assigned the task of delving into ATP 3-21.8 (Infantry Platoon & Squad) Appendix A (Planning) this Winter break. I have been greatly appreciative of the guidance and depth of the reading, but i am worried it is not resonating in a way that will manifest itself positively in the field, like maybe i am just reading it and not fully grasping it so that recall of its subject matter will be easier under stress.

I am posting because i am wondering if any of you professionals have any advice on training doctrinal knowledge outside of the field? I have not been provided with any situational tests or hypothetical questions that i can use to further refine my knowledge to the degree i would like to.

By the way, i have tried my hardest so far, with my own training and trying to find practice tests for the TLPs (situational ones). I printed off the entire section i am assigned and have been restating each paragraph (all 157 of them in appendix A) in my own words to help the definitions and details resonate better. It would be amazing if someone had access to a pdf of situations a platoon leader would encounter when on patrol or other scenarios that require rolling into a battle drill, or even longer term ones that require the entire opord process to be gone through and offer an answer to compare to.

Any information is greatly appreciated

Happy Holidays

Edit: I have been reading the RH as well if anyone was wondering. Just want to test my true knowledge of patrolling and leading troops (or at least some aspects of it) while i am not physically in the field. We only have 3 FTXs a year, not including ranger challenge, CST, or special schools.

Last edited by andreas; 12-13-2018 at 16:07.
andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 16:47   #2
7624U
Quiet Professional

You can PM me directly with your exact question, I was a Small unit and tactics instructor. Teaching troop leading and OPORD my first tour. I now teach MDMP to all of our Officers in the Course my 2nd Tour here.

My advise I tell everyone! Make sure you fully understand the Commanders intent two levels up. Know what your direct supervisor is going to do for his scheme of maneuver with other units.

The rest is on you to break down the Intent and list everything out that would need to happen to met the Commanders intent..( put trust in your NCO's for the Details) just make sure everyone in your platoon is clear on your mission statement and your end state...

Make coordination so you don't get your ass shot off by friendly units and come up with contingency's based on the problems your NCO's ID during the details.

Break the plan down and tell a story on how we will get to the Actions On (most important part) Have everyone brief their part of the actions on it should not be you running your suck the whole time.

Make time for questions.

Always Rehearse the actions on.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 17:35   #3
Joker
Quiet Professional

Post an intro in the Introduction thread.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 19:16   #4
andreas
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Post an intro in the Introduction thread.
I have sir, twice now.
Old 12-13-2018, 19:18   #5
andreas
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
You can PM me directly with your exact question, I was a Small unit and tactics instructor. Teaching troop leading and OPORD my first tour. I now teach MDMP to all of our Officers in the Course my 2nd Tour here.

My advise I tell everyone! Make sure you fully understand the Commanders intent two levels up. Know what your direct supervisor is going to do for his scheme of maneuver with other units.

The rest is on you to break down the Intent and list everything out that would need to happen to met the Commanders intent..( put trust in your NCO's for the Details) just make sure everyone in your platoon is clear on your mission statement and your end state...

Make coordination so you don't get your ass shot off by friendly units and come up with contingency's based on the problems your NCO's ID during the details.

Break the plan down and tell a story on how we will get to the Actions On (most important part) Have everyone brief their part of the actions on it should not be you running your suck the whole time.

Make time for questions.

Always Rehearse the actions on.
Thank you so much sir, i will make sure to PM you ASAP