Old 01-30-2007, 21:37   #136
FILO
Guerrilla

[QUOTE=sg1987]
by Don Purdy
CSM, USA (Retired)

1) Some senior NCOs are nothing more than bootlickers, who sing the "Army of One" song to their superior officers everyday. Commanders need to hear the good, bad and the ugly, and then be given good solid recommendations. They need their senior NCOs to be TRAINERS. LEAD BY EXAMPLE. DO as the troops do. LEAD FROM THE FRONT. GET IN THE DIRT. This bullshit of "I have done that" is garbage. What you are doing now is what counts. Quit worrying about your next assignment. Focus on your mission now. Your mission is to train soldiers for war, and it's damned hard work. If you do it right you will leave the Army in worse shape physically than when you came in. BE HARD BUT FAIR. You must have MORAL COURAGE.
QUOTE]

He lived #1 and I can personally attest to this. During every cycle, he ran with many of the patrols, even during the winter phases. He was the NCOIC, thus it would have been easy for him to rely on his staff and not have gone out so much, but he did. One late night I watched him strap a ruck onto his front side while carrying a ruck on his back after a student went down as a result of a twisted ankle. He did this while on the final portion of a graded 2 day patrol. He humped those two rucks for the rest of the night though 3-5 inches of snow. Thus he really did walk the talk.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 17:07   #137
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

That Reunion

Did that reunion that was mentioned in this thread ever execute? I wish I would have known about this site earlier. I live half the year up in Hamburg with my future wife. If it got delayed till this year would also like to know. Maybe I can spirit my butt out of Hungary and show up.

There are a bunch of former 10th guys and attachments that make a ski trip to Europe every year and base out of Gaissach. They stay at that Gasthof mentioned earlier but I don't recall the name. I keep meaning to make it but work gets in the way.

If you are ever in the Toelz area stop by die alte Kaserne for a Weissbier at the Gaststaette zur Flint Kaserne which lies in the area where the NCO Academy used to be. It was cool to drink one more there.

Al
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:49   #138
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Al,

first of all: Welcome !

I was suggesting a reunion thing, but so far it didn't happen. Would be great to see some 10th guys down here again.

Let me know when you get in the area ! Would be great to have a beer or two and talk about the days...

Mike
Old 04-14-2008, 11:42   #139
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Maybe in the Summer

Mike

Well, I got turned onto this site ein Bissle spaet.

Ich war letzes Monat in GAP. Machte Skifahren auf der Hausberg mit miener Verlobte.

Ich fliege nach Hamburg fuer 1. Mai aber wir reisen in Daenemark.

Vielleicht im Sommer.

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-munich View Post
Al,

first of all: Welcome !

I was suggesting a reunion thing, but so far it didn't happen. Would be great to see some 10th guys down here again.

Let me know when you get in the area ! Would be great to have a beer or two and talk about the days...

Mike
Old 04-15-2008, 00:36   #140
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfromcolorado View Post
Mike

Well, I got turned onto this site ein Bissle spaet.

Ich war letzes Monat in GAP. Machte Skifahren auf der Hausberg mit miener Verlobte.

Ich fliege nach Hamburg fuer 1. Mai aber wir reisen in Daenemark.

Vielleicht im Sommer.

Al
Al,

the "bissle spät" gives away your time in BB...

Skiing in GAP, nice ! I like what they did with the Hotel and everything down there. Since I quit skiing about 15 years ago I only see GAP in summertime when I ride my motorcycle around the Zugspitze and into Tyrol (for the cheap gas... LOL).

Sag mir Bescheid wenn Du im Sommer hier bist ! Wir können dann ein Bier trinken gehen.

Am Freitag fliege ich nach Wichita, KS. um einen alten Freund von der Polizei dort zu besuchen.

Viele Grüsse !

Mike
Old 04-16-2008, 10:10   #141
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Mike

Yeah, spent a couple of years in BB too!

We didn't stay in the Edelweiss. We stayed in a Gasthaus in Wallgau. I didn't even go check it out. The new Seilbahn on the Hausberg was interesting though. Got rid of the old big cabins and got a bunch of little ones.

Quote:
Al,

the "bissle spät" gives away your time in BB...

Skiing in GAP, nice ! I like what they did with the Hotel and everything down there. Since I quit skiing about 15 years ago I only see GAP in summertime when I ride my motorcycle around the Zugspitze and into Tyrol (for the cheap gas... LOL).

Sag mir Bescheid wenn Du im Sommer hier bist ! Wir können dann ein Bier trinken gehen.

Am Freitag fliege ich nach Wichita, KS. um einen alten Freund von der Polizei dort zu besuchen.

Viele Grüsse !

Mike
Old 04-17-2008, 01:23   #142
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Al,

I didn't even know they put new cabins on the Seilbahn there... I know the aerial tramway, but never took a closer look at it. LOL

Let me know next time you are here ! Wallgau is great, a fellow cop that I used to work with lives there. Nicccee....
Old 04-17-2008, 04:29   #143
Jatekos
Quiet Professional

Al,

Mike here, your new neighbor in Budapest. The family is going to Garmisch in December for some rest and skiing. My daughter is on her second year of snowboarding so she should enjoy the AO. Come up and see us sometime as I really get tired of driving to your location

Mike
Jatekos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:54   #144
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Jatekos:

Please follow the instructions you received in your registration message (and posted in the stickies) and introduce yourself in the proper place so that we know who you are.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:08   #145
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

One of these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatekos View Post
Al,

Mike here, your new neighbor in Budapest. The family is going to Garmisch in December for some rest and skiing. My daughter is on her second year of snowboarding so she should enjoy the AO. Come up and see us sometime as I really get tired of driving to your location

Mike
Hey Mike

I will get up there one of these days soon. We are going to Szeged this weekend.

So can you get me a special deal at the hotels?

PM me on that...

Havin' a good time down here.

Al
Old 04-18-2008, 10:28   #146
SFS0AVN
Quiet Professional

I have great memories of Toelz and Bavaria. I hope one of these days I'll be able to visit the area again. I know all the changes that have happened to Flint Kaserne.
I learned to ski on the Spitzing in Neuhaus and brown baggers hill Flint Kaserne, ski patrolled on the Brauneck and in Garmisch. Went to Munich American High School (50's) every day on the train. Then I joined the Army and went back (60's) to the 10th for several years. Great times in Toelz and Lenggris.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
Rommel

Last edited by SFS0AVN; 04-29-2008 at 11:37.
SFS0AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:06   #147
ArtR
Asset

My last trip to Tölz was in 1988 for the 35th reunion. I hope to make a trip there this fall and get a first hand look at the way a piece of History was destroyed.
ArtR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 14:42   #148
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Bad Toelz Bound

Quote:
Al,

I didn't even know they put new cabins on the Seilbahn there... I know the aerial tramway, but never took a closer look at it. LOL

Let me know next time you are here ! Wallgau is great, a fellow cop that I used to work with lives there. Nicccee....
Mike

Ich, die Frau und Tochter kommen im August nach Bad Toelz.

When things get locked in I will get you my Deutsche Vodaphone Handynummer.

We're looking for a Ferienwohnung in area (Toelz, Lengries, Bad Heilbrunn, usw). Got any reccomendations of a reasonably priced place?

During the day I will be teaching the daughter rockclimbing... Assuming I can still lug this old butt up the rocks... I am sure we could hook up for a Bier oder zwei auch. You going to be around?

Al
Old 05-23-2008, 13:55   #149
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfromcolorado View Post
Mike

Ich, die Frau und Tochter kommen im August nach Bad Toelz.

When things get locked in I will get you my Deutsche Vodaphone Handynummer.

We're looking for a Ferienwohnung in area (Toelz, Lengries, Bad Heilbrunn, usw). Got any reccomendations of a reasonably priced place?

During the day I will be teaching the daughter rockclimbing... Assuming I can still lug this old butt up the rocks... I am sure we could hook up for a Bier oder zwei auch. You going to be around?

Al
Al,

roger that last. Ich bin im August hier, bis auf ein Wochenende (8.-10. August), da bin ich in Münster auf dem Black Mustang Club Treffen.

Sehr gut, ich habe auch ein deutsches Vodafone Telefon, the minutes are cheaper then.

As for a Ferienwohnung in Tölz/Lengries/Bad Heilbrunn area, I will check with my local contacts there and let you know by PM what I have investigated. What's the exact timeframe we are looking at ?

We will definitely hook up for a beer, oder zwei, oder drei. Ich bringe vielleicht meine Frau mit, als designated driver. Not smart to drive a 370hp Mustang after a couple of Weißbier... LOL

Mike
Old 05-24-2008, 04:51   #150
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Al,

roger that last. Ich bin im August hier, bis auf ein Wochenende (8.-10. August), da bin ich in Münster auf dem Black Mustang Club Treffen.

Sehr gut, ich habe auch ein deutsches Vodafone Telefon, the minutes are cheaper then.

As for a Ferienwohnung in Tölz/Lengries/Bad Heilbrunn area, I will check with my local contacts there and let you know by PM what I have investigated. What's the exact timeframe we are looking at ?

We will definitely hook up for a beer, oder zwei, oder drei. Ich bringe vielleicht meine Frau mit, als designated driver. Not smart to drive a 370hp Mustang after a couple of Weißbier... LOL

Mike
Ich spreche diesem Wochenende mit meiner Frau, hoffentlich ein Plan zu machen. Ich melde Dich doch bald durch PM.