Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2007, 21:37   #16
FILO
Guerrilla

[QUOTE=sg1987]
by Don Purdy
CSM, USA (Retired)

1) Some senior NCOs are nothing more than bootlickers, who sing the "Army of One" song to their superior officers everyday. Commanders need to hear the good, bad and the ugly, and then be given good solid recommendations. They need their senior NCOs to be TRAINERS. LEAD BY EXAMPLE. DO as the troops do. LEAD FROM THE FRONT. GET IN THE DIRT. This bullshit of "I have done that" is garbage. What you are doing now is what counts. Quit worrying about your next assignment. Focus on your mission now. Your mission is to train soldiers for war, and it's damned hard work. If you do it right you will leave the Army in worse shape physically than when you came in. BE HARD BUT FAIR. You must have MORAL COURAGE.
QUOTE]

He lived #1 and I can personally attest to this. During every cycle, he ran with many of the patrols, even during the winter phases. He was the NCOIC, thus it would have been easy for him to rely on his staff and not have gone out so much, but he did. One late night I watched him strap a ruck onto his front side while carrying a ruck on his back after a student went down as a result of a twisted ankle. He did this while on the final portion of a graded 2 day patrol. He humped those two rucks for the rest of the night though 3-5 inches of snow. Thus he really did walk the talk.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote