Old 12-16-2020, 08:44   #1
RCummings
Guerrilla

Question about Panama comms

A question was asked about what equipment was used during the Panama 1980's job. The purpose is to make a historical recreation. The source is a HAM radio operator.

Thank you, respectfully,

Bob
RCummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 23:22   #2
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCummings View Post
A question was asked about what equipment was used during the Panama 1980's job. The purpose is to make a historical recreation. The source is a HAM radio operator.

Thank you, respectfully,

Bob
Are you referring to Operation Just Cause beginning 20 Dec 1989?

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:48   #3
glebo
Quiet Professional

There were several radios used, some civilian such as the FRC-93 and 30L1 linear amplifier...

That most likely wasn't used during the invasion though..I wasn't in Panama, but I know quite a few that were. I'm sure some of them will chime in...

Even TM MTOE in various SF GP's had slightly different radios, from HF, VHF and UHF...

So, yeah someone from Panama would be better to help...
Old 12-17-2020, 07:09   #4
RCummings
Guerrilla

Longwire, yes sir, Operation Just Cause. Glebo, thank you. The gentleman is putting together a historical recreation and is trying to make it as accurate as possible.

Respectfully,

Bob
Old 12-19-2020, 22:08   #5
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCummings View Post

Thank you, respectfully,

Bob
Rc

I know what we jumped in with while I was in the 82d as a RTO for 1/504th PIR

I jumped the PSC-3 Satcom radio, Another commo guy in the stick from the BN jumped in a PRC-104 HF Radio with KL-43, All the line companies had and the Battalion also had PRC-77's and AN/PRC-126s with a few RTO attachments if the Company was long range and out of PRC-77 range they had PRC-104 HF mainly. (we used the hell out of the KL-43 we had with us also if you want accuracy for historical purpose)

We even had a team with a hatch mounted Antenna and a highly amplified PSC-3 radio on the C-141 to talk in flight to the other birds and the rangers on the ground. Back in that day we only had two military satellites to use in the southern hemisphere.

it was hit and miss depending on the time of day it and was a pain in the ass to hit. HF was much more reliable long range combo paired with the KL-43.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:15   #6
RCummings
Guerrilla

7624U, Thank you sir! Do you mind if I relay this information to tha HAM that is looking for it?

Respectfully,

Bob
Old 12-20-2020, 20:36   #7
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
HF was much more reliable long range combo paired with the KL-43.
That was a handy little sucker, and they had a longer lifespan than originally thought. I had those in '80 supporting an MI gal debriefing Cubanos & sorting the chaff from grain. As commo capabilities go (and how long other methods take) that was a geek's force multiplier sometimes. God I feel old now; there's a damn wiki page on the thing, lol.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:39   #8
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Ranger Battalion used PRC-77 with KY-57 Vinson at Platoon and Company Level.

Not sure what Battalion level used but I remember training with PSC-3(?) SATCOM as a PFC (Looking at pics of the PSC-3 doesn’t seem the same as I remember).

At squad level each squad leader carried a PRC-126
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:46   #9
RCummings
Guerrilla

Thank you micro18d!

V/R

Bob
Old 12-28-2020, 19:23   #10
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
Ranger Battalion used PRC-77 with KY-57 Vinson at Platoon and Company Level.

Not sure what Battalion level used but I remember training with PSC-3(?) SATCOM as a PFC (Looking at pics of the PSC-3 doesn’t seem the same as I remember).

At squad level each squad leader carried a PRC-126
Yea I forgot we had the ky-57 also for the satcom. You can pass on the info I supplied all day long Rc

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 14:32   #11
pennywise
Quiet Professional

radios used at Albrook, AFB

This is an old thread and Ive been radio silent for a minute. At SFOB 07 we had in the upstairs coms center we had , PSC-3 WITH KY-57 and KL-43C. I was parked out in the front of the hangar with my RTT rig. It had an AN/GRC 106 , KW-7, UGC - 74 and a TT-76. The 106 was a power house for the day and was awsome for HF. 2 nd BN in Rio Hato had the same setup but was stuck with SGM. Bone. LOL . The ODA's had the general HF and FM radios. (AN-PRC-70 and PRC-77 along with KL-43) Its been awhile so feel free. It was interesting to say the least. The post conflict pool party at Albrook was definitely the best. Lots of great people to say the least.
JL
pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 16:54   #12
RCummings
Guerrilla

Thank you to all who commented. I do believe that the displays made serve as a living history of events and a show of respect for those who participated.

Respectfully,

Bob