Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 09:33   #1
jkyle
Asset
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 3
Advice sought on choice between pursuing JAG and pursuing SF

Good Morning,

I am a student in law school. I am nearly certain that I will be joining the Army upon my passing the bar. I have both a passion for law and a strong desire to join your ranks.

The problem: I cannot do both simultaneously, and I desire both equally.

The resulting reality is that I must choose between applying for JAG and applying for the infamous 18x contract. That choice has many effects, both immediate and long-term. The differences in lifestyles and career paths of each a JAG officer and an enlisted SF soldier are obvious enough.

Both the profession of a military lawyer and the profession of an SF soldier are very serious. Whether it be defending a soldier facing life in prison or working in sensitive and tumultuous foreign environments, I may have the aptitude to excel in both. How should I make this choice?

I ask your opinions as you are the members of a profession I seek to join. I will seek counsel with JAG officers the moment I find a venue in which it is appropriate to do so.

In the interests of brevity, I have tried to boil down the choice with which I am confronted to what you have read above - if my situation here is insufficiently detailed, I am happy to add to it.

Please advise.

Respectfully,

Joe Kyle
jkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:46   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional
 
JJ_BPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Posts: 11,633
Joe

I just read your bio

Quote:
Age: 22
Biography: I'm a former USMA cadet on a mission to get back in.
Served in the following units: Inasmuch as it counts as a unit, USCC (F1 and H3)
1st thing that jumps out is your age,, 2nd the fact that you have already "tried" a couple different options,, and found them lacking for some reason(s)??

I would suggest you stick around,, do a bunch of searches & read what's already posted on the subject,, and complete your education.

You are the only one that can make the choise..

Good Luck..
__________________
Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh sula mbeadh a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:52   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkyle View Post
Good Morning,

I am a student in law school. I am nearly certain that I will be joining the Army upon my passing the bar. I have both a passion for law and a strong desire to join your ranks.

The problem: I cannot do both simultaneously, and I desire both equally.

The resulting reality is that I must choose between applying for JAG and applying for the infamous 18x contract. That choice has many effects, both immediate and long-term. The differences in lifestyles and career paths of each a JAG officer and an enlisted SF soldier are obvious enough.

Both the profession of a military lawyer and the profession of an SF soldier are very serious. Whether it be defending a soldier facing life in prison or working in sensitive and tumultuous foreign environments, I may have the aptitude to excel in both. How should I make this choice?

I ask your opinions as you are the members of a profession I seek to join. I will seek counsel with JAG officers the moment I find a venue in which it is appropriate to do so.

In the interests of brevity, I have tried to boil down the choice with which I am confronted to what you have read above - if my situation here is insufficiently detailed, I am happy to add to it.

Please advise.

Respectfully,

Joe Kyle
Joe:

Are you familiar with the search button?

You might want to use it before starting any further threads.

And review the rules and stickies while you are at it.

Good luck.

TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:54   #4
Richard
Quiet Professional
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 15,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkyle View Post
The resulting reality is that I must choose between applying for JAG and applying for the infamous 18x contract. That choice has many effects, both immediate and long-term. The differences in lifestyles and career paths of each a JAG officer and an enlisted SF soldier are obvious enough.
Sounds to me as if you've already made your choice as SF is neither for the undecided nor uncommitted. Good luck in law school. You may want to look into a Civil Affairs unit; I think they're a bit closer to what you have in mind.

Richard's $.02
__________________
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:00   #5
jkyle
Asset
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 3
I was afraid that perhaps the mere existence of a choice was evidence enough that I am not suited.

I have searched for this question, but the questions tended more towards "Should I drop out of law school," or "Has anyone transferred from SF to JAG," etc.

Thank you for your respones. I had hoped not to waste your time.

Joe
jkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:05   #6
Richard
Quiet Professional
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 15,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkyle View Post
I was afraid that perhaps the mere existence of a choice was evidence enough that I am not suited.
Nobody said you weren't 'suited.'

Go here and check in with these ffolkes--they'll give you plenty of info, offer you plenty of challenges and opportunities, they have units throughout Florida, and are aligned--IMOO--more with what your messages come across as telling us you'd like to do. You can join them while going to law school and get a good look at the full spectrum of SO, get to do some good training and gain some very useful experience, make a lot of good contacts for pursuing both a military and civilian career...and get your law degree.

http://www.usacapoc.army.mil/Default.aspx

GO FOR IT! And good luck.

Richard's $.02
__________________
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 13:30   #7
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional
 
Jack Moroney (RIP)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
http://www.usacapoc.army.mil/Default.aspx

GO FOR IT! And good luck.Richard's $.02
Good advice and might I add you might want to consider that maturity does not come with age, but with experience. Richard's advice will solve both your present challenges.
__________________
Wenn einer von uns fallen sollt, der Andere steht für zwei.
Jack Moroney (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 22:16   #8
kgoerz
Quiet Professional
 
kgoerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NC for now
Posts: 2,418
Every day I wonder. What if I would of became a Lawyer instead of 21 years in SF
__________________
Sounds like a s#*t sandwhich, but I'll fight anyone, I'm in.
kgoerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 15:45   #9
JimP
Quiet Professional
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: State of confusion
Posts: 1,465
Dude - take the bar; pass it and then come in enlisted to SF and have the army pay off all your school loans. You'll have a ball. IF/IF you want to switch years later on down the road when that ruck starts getting awful heavy, you can get a direct commission and "bingo", you're a legal weenie. Too easy. That also gives you some insurance if for some reason you wash out of training.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 15:50   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional
 
Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 13,080
JimP

JimP;

Did you ever find time to post an intro and fill out your profile?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 15:52   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Pineland
Posts: 24,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Dude - take the bar; pass it and then come in enlisted to SF and have the army pay off all your school loans. You'll have a ball. IF/IF you want to switch years later on down the road when that ruck starts getting awful heavy, you can get a direct commission and "bingo", you're a legal weenie. Too easy. That also gives you some insurance if for some reason you wash out of training.
Do not post again till you have complied with the registration message and read the board rules.

We have no idea who you are or what position you are in to be dispensing advice.

TR
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 17:20   #12
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional
 
SF_BHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sneaking back and forth across the Border
Posts: 6,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Do not post again till you have complied with the registration message and read the board rules.

We have no idea who you are or what position you are in to be dispensing advice.

TR
Guy told him to do the same on 3/24/08 Guess he can not read.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 15:19   #13
JimP
Quiet Professional
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: State of confusion
Posts: 1,465
OK - hit the intro page; filled in my profile; read the rules for posting; anyone got a bottle...???

I'm sure I prolly jacked something up and will get someone's knickers notted. Just toss a rock at me and I'll get it square. Too easy. Jim
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 19:32   #14
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional
 
SF_BHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sneaking back and forth across the Border
Posts: 6,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
OK - hit the intro page; filled in my profile; read the rules for posting; anyone got a bottle...???

I'm sure I prolly jacked something up and will get someone's knickers notted. Just toss a rock at me and I'll get it square. Too easy. Jim
JimP
As a lawyer you should be observant enough and smart enough to understand and follow instructions on our board. We ask no more or no less to all SF and others.

For my 2 cents Get the chip off your shoulder and act prpoerly in your postings and respect the observations that 2 Mods/admins said and observations by other QP's here.

Last edited by SF_BHT; 09-05-2008 at 19:45.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:40   #15
JimP
Quiet Professional
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: State of confusion
Posts: 1,465
ummmm, no chip here. Maybe you're confusing my lame attempt at humor with attitude; that's probably why I'll never make 20-star General. Anyways, I lurk a lot but rarely ever post, just trying to be quiet.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:19.



Copyright 2004-2022 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies