Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 04-24-2022, 07:24   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
So, we have a new rifle(s)..

Who has any experience playing with the new toys??

Rifles XM5 and the squad XM250
Ammo 6.8x51
XM157 monster optic, weather station, micro-wave, and communication gizmo
and maybe a New suppressor?

Tell me your experiences, likes, and dislikes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SIG-Sauer.jpg (36.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg ngsw21x3.jpg (65.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg index.jpg (7.6 KB, 79 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 04-24-2022 at 07:31.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:29   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
New toys on the Range??

oops :[

Old 04-24-2022, 08:21   #3
bubba
Quiet Professional

Just a couple of observations, but no real experience with playing with these new toys.

Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics:

- New round (not a NATO round) will cause supply issues like it’s 1965 again (We are already seeing this with the new MK22 Sniper system. There is NO ammunition for the gun? I mean… WTF, Over!)
- The High Velocity ammunition coupled with the heat from the suppressor will likely increase the failure rate of internal parts and will definitely cause issues with barrel life
- Battery powered gizmos are prone to fail exactly when needed most
- Has anyone thought about changing out the MG’s on all of our armored vehicles and what that is going to cost?

Now that the Professional stuff is out of the way, here is the look at the tactics:

- Most (somewhere around 80-90%) of enemy casualties are from explosive munitions delivered via artillery and air-borne platforms
- Rifles are there to protect the Machine-gun
- Machine-guns are there to pin down the enemy and prevent them from moving
- APC’s are for moving Infantry around the battlefield quickly and safely with additional firepower
- Tanks are there to maneuver a machine-gun to the flank of the enemy and destroy enemy vehicles & hard points with direct fire
- The Artillery and Air is what kills enemy forces.

With all of that, I’d rather spend the money on training ammunition for the systems we already have stockpiled. We have troops that don’t know how to zero their PEQ Lasers or what the purpose of small arms is (yes, here in Special Forces too), so what makes us think a shiny new gun will change that?

Bottom line, why bother?
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me

Last edited by bubba; 04-24-2022 at 11:04.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:38   #4
PRB
Quiet Professional

No idea on the hybrid aspect but I shoot 6.5 x 55 and 6.5 x 50 in a WW2 era Swede Mauser sniper and Jap sniper. Both rounds are extremely flat shooting, predictable and accurate as all hell. The Swede M 41 B is a tack driver (1910 action snipered in Sweden in '42).

If the can they use is like an OSS can the gasses are expelled out the front and there is no over gassing and that reduces wear. As the can is removable I doubt it would be used on all occasions.

This needed doing.... the 5.56 was issue prone. As to cost. Don't paint an aircraft carrier for one year...done. Buy one less Fighter.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:00   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
No idea on the hybrid aspect but I shoot 6.5 x 55 and 6.5 x 50 in a WW2 era Swede Mauser sniper and Jap sniper. Both rounds are extremely flat shooting, predictable and accurate as all hell. The Swede M 41 B is a tack driver (1910 action snipered in Sweden in '42).

1) I also have a nice 6.5x55 M38 swede.

I believe Grande's original round for the M1 was the .276 Pedersen and the FN/FAL trials started out with a .270 before the US forces the 7.62x51 on the world.

Amazing, what goes around comes around.. g

2) I asked about the can as this new round is set at a chamber pressure of 80,000 psi SAAMI rated, so something is going to get HOT HOT HOT.. Barrel burnout and can meltdowns, even more significant to the SAW

3)The Scope doodad-gizmo. Looks to be an inclusive unit, I'm guessing 2lb or better??

Old 04-24-2022, 20:54   #6
7624U
Quiet Professional

What is Hyper-Velocity I am trying to pin a definition to that ?

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:43   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
What is Hyper-Velocity I am trying to pin a definition to that ?

Old School used to say over 3000 FPS. The 3K clip had to do with the steel used in barrels and its lack of ability to withstand the pressure and wear.

Found one SIG Fury 6.8x51 pic talking ballistics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sig 68x51.jpg (50.1 KB, 50 views)

Old 04-25-2022, 15:33   #8
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Old School used to say over 3000 FPS. The 3K clip had to do with the steel used in barrels and its lack of ability to withstand the pressure and wear.

Found one SIG Fury 6.8x51 pic talking ballistics.
Found the Army Definition finally

hypervelocity (A)
1. Muzzle velocity of an artillery projectile of 3,500 feet per second or more. 2. Muzzle velocity of a small arms projectile of 5,000 feet per second or more. See also high velocity. 3. Muzzle velocities of tank cannon projectiles in excess of 3,350 feet per second.

Source old AR 310-25

Guess they lowered the standards a little from 1985.

"Me"

Last edited by 7624U; 04-25-2022 at 15:39.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:22   #9
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Guess they lowered the standards a little from 1985.
Truth
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 18:28   #10
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

"WHY BOTHER"...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
Just a couple of observations, but no real experience with playing with these new toys.

Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics:

- New round (not a NATO round) will cause supply issues like it’s 1965 again (We are already seeing this with the new MK22 Sniper system. There is NO ammunition for the gun? I mean… WTF, Over!)
- The High Velocity ammunition coupled with the heat from the suppressor will likely increase the failure rate of internal parts and will definitely cause issues with barrel life
- Battery powered gizmos are prone to fail exactly when needed most
- Has anyone thought about changing out the MG’s on all of our armored vehicles and what that is going to cost?

Now that the Professional stuff is out of the way, here is the look at the tactics:

- Most (somewhere around 80-90%) of enemy casualties are from explosive munitions delivered via artillery and air-borne platforms
- Rifles are there to protect the Machine-gun
- Machine-guns are there to pin down the enemy and prevent them from moving
- APC’s are for moving Infantry around the battlefield quickly and safely with additional firepower
- Tanks are there to maneuver a machine-gun to the flank of the enemy and destroy enemy vehicles & hard points with direct fire
- The Artillery and Air is what kills enemy forces.

With all of that, I’d rather spend the money on training ammunition for the systems we already have stockpiled. We have troops that don’t know how to zero their PEQ Lasers or what the purpose of small arms is (yes, here in Special Forces too), so what makes us think a shiny new gun will change that?

Bottom line, why bother?
Somebody is getting a BIG PAYDAY for this contract & lets not forget 10% for the big guy....
Old 04-30-2022, 20:19   #11
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Found the Army Definition finally

hypervelocity (A)
2. Muzzle velocity of a small arms projectile of 5,000 feet per second or more. See also high velocity.
So the old .220 Swift (from my childhood catalog-drooling days) + 25%. How are barrel metals for heat (and resultant wear) these days?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:18   #12
Box
Quiet Professional

I wonder if this round is good enough for elk?
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:20   #13
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I wonder if this round is good enough for elk?
I would think so. Ballistically, from the data I can find, it is identical to the .270 Winchester. .277 140gr bullet at 2,950 fps.
Old 05-02-2022, 13:30   #14
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctom54 View Post
I would think so. Ballistically, from the data I can find, it is identical to the .270 Winchester. .277 140gr bullet at 2,950 fps.
That's what I read,, AND it's the 140gr from a 16inch barrel.

All/most of the ballistic tables list 20-24 inch barrels, so it's a WAG as to a 1-on-1 comparison.

Here are two charts,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sig277.jpg (58.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Graph-7-7mm-Rem-Mag-vs-300-Win-Mag.jpg (50.6 KB, 9 views)

Old 05-02-2022, 19:46   #15
7624U
Quiet Professional

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...less-ammo.html

Article sort of blasts the Army about basic load being 140 rounds and heavier.
The new saw gunner has 27lbs of ammo vs 20lbs and half the bullets.

"Me"