Old 07-26-2018, 06:05   #1
DTH
Asset

20th SFG - Support (JAG)

Hello. Currently, I am an attorney with a practice in Atlanta.

I'm married with 3 kids (5, 3, and 1.5) and one on the way.

I was working with a 20th SFG recruiter. We were discussing the possibility of two options: 1) Rep 63 route, or 2) JAG route.

I wanted to go the Rep 63 route, but I've been told by my recruiter that obtaining an age waiver (with no prior service) is a no-go (I am 37). Consequently, I am pursuing the JAG route. Ideally, I would like to serve as support to the 20th SFG in a JAG capacity.

I've been told (and conducted research online) that getting attached to an SF Group as a JAG is very difficult, and even more difficult if the JAG officer has no prior military experience. I've also been told that the SFG has to "like" you. My recruiter (who has been extremely helpful and gone above and beyond the call, in my humble opinion) was unable to provide much guidance on how I could interact with folks in the 20th SFG. He said he would make some calls when he returns from training, but I thought I would inquire via this thread as well.

I would participate in a SFRE with the 20th SFG, if I was allowed, but everything I've researched online says that's a no-go. I would join in on some PT action, if that was permitted. Any opportunity to get to know some of the folks in the 20th Group (and give them an opportunity to determine whether I am a good fit for a support role) would be appreciated.

Why does any of this matter? Well, the only reason I am looking at joining the Alabama National Guard (when I live in Georgia) is because AL is the closest state that has an SF Group. But if there is essentially zero chance of getting attached to the 20th SFG in a JAG support role (given that I have no prior service) then I would prefer to join the Georgia National Guard in a JAG capacity, as my drill location would be much closer to my family. It may simply be one of those situations where I just have to give it a go and see what happens.

Any thoughts on (1) likelihood of getting attached to an SF Group as a JAG, and (2) opportunities to interact with folks in the 20th Group, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
DTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:11   #2
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTH View Post
Hello. Currently, I am an attorney with a practice in Atlanta.

I'm married with 3 kids (5, 3, and 1.5) and one on the way.

I was working with a 20th SFG recruiter. We were discussing the possibility of two options: 1) Rep 63 route, or 2) JAG route.

I wanted to go the Rep 63 route, but I've been told by my recruiter that obtaining an age waiver (with no prior service) is a no-go (I am 37). Consequently, I am pursuing the JAG route. Ideally, I would like to serve as support to the 20th SFG in a JAG capacity.

I've been told (and conducted research online) that getting attached to an SF Group as a JAG is very difficult, and even more difficult if the JAG officer has no prior military experience. I've also been told that the SFG has to "like" you. My recruiter (who has been extremely helpful and gone above and beyond the call, in my humble opinion) was unable to provide much guidance on how I could interact with folks in the 20th SFG. He said he would make some calls when he returns from training, but I thought I would inquire via this thread as well.

I would participate in a SFRE with the 20th SFG, if I was allowed, but everything I've researched online says that's a no-go. I would join in on some PT action, if that was permitted. Any opportunity to get to know some of the folks in the 20th Group (and give them an opportunity to determine whether I am a good fit for a support role) would be appreciated.

Why does any of this matter? Well, the only reason I am looking at joining the Alabama National Guard (when I live in Georgia) is because AL is the closest state that has an SF Group. But if there is essentially zero chance of getting attached to the 20th SFG in a JAG support role (given that I have no prior service) then I would prefer to join the Georgia National Guard in a JAG capacity, as my drill location would be much closer to my family. It may simply be one of those situations where I just have to give it a go and see what happens.

Any thoughts on (1) likelihood of getting attached to an SF Group as a JAG, and (2) opportunities to interact with folks in the 20th Group, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
The commander of Support Company, 2/20th was a JAG when I retired in 2016 so it’s possible but don’t know details how he got the position in MSARNG.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:30   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
With the age limit being your biggest problem,, I would suggest you go the route of the GANG JAG and leverage any and all opportunities to go to jump and ranger courses.

You might also entertain slots in MI and MP. Then, At some time in the future, you could try a horizontal slide to a staff JAG slot in an SF. unit. Having a track record helps.

The Go-Fast crowd is for someone under 30YO and starts the chase even younger.

Good Luck

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:03   #4
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

Sir, you make some valid, cogent points. 20th Group was where I started my career as a 11C1S, way back in 1979 at the tender age of 21. The bottom line is that 20th Group, being a National Guard entity is entirely a political animal. Especially on the officer side of the house. The National Guard is notorious for having their "pets", especially in a plum staff position such as a JAG. My advice to you would be to go the Guard route in the GAARNG or to look into going in the Army Reserve in a Civil Affairs unit. You would probably find them more welcoming. It is also important to remember that coming into the military as a direct commission in a professional field, law or medical, is process that takes time and some measure of patience. Good look to you and God bless you.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:59   #5
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

One other tidbit, I served with the current commander of the 360th CA in Iraq. They are an airborne unit and would be more than happy to pass his contact information to you. The 360th is based out of Columbia, SC. If you plan on entering the Guard or Reserve, especially as an officer, get ready to do some traveling at some point in your career.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:40   #6
DTH
Asset

Thank you

Thank you for taking the time to respond and sharing your insight. I am working a couple of different angles. I'll circle back, when something comes to fruition.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56   #7
ccrn
Guerrilla

Don't let anyone or anything get in your way if you wish to join the Army or Special Forces. I had an excellent career, college education, wife and multiple children. I joined anyway.

At 40 years of age.

I didn't get to go to Airborne school until 48 years of age (I joined the Infantry first). I was Special Forces support but having said that I've met guys who've joined older and were 18 CMF so it's not impossible. It took me 16 months, a waiver, agreeing that I wouldn't be able to retire from the military by age 60, and begging a two star general to let me join.

Best to you on your journey-
Old 08-16-2021, 03:12   #8
DTH
Asset

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTH View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond and sharing your insight. I am working a couple of different angles. I'll circle back, when something comes to fruition.
It has been nearly three years since my quoted message above, but my plans finally came to fruition. I recently commissioned in the Alabama Army National Guard as a judge advocate and I have been assigned to the 20th SFG. I've been using this forum for over ten years and I have found it to be incredibly valuable. Thank you for the advice over the years - I am sure I will need more as this new path unfolds.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:28   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Congratulations on your resolve and effort.

Now, jump school, Ranger, HALO, & SFUWO,,
Get it done

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote