Old 04-22-2017, 23:50   #1
18XP
Asset

Son Through SOCM

This past week Son finished SOCM (Special Operations Combat Medic). I have to say, I'm impressed with the accomplishment. Let's just say fewer finished than started. They are doing a graduation ceremony this week, but he said if it were up to him there would be no such shindig, as he considers it the equivalent of "graduating" from freshman to sophomore. I think he may be selling the accomplishment just a bit short, but as he said, this is just one step. Now he moves on to the Course. Naturally there are no guarantees, but he's off to a good start.

Thank you in advance for indulging a proud dad.
18XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:24   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18XP View Post
This past week Son finished SOCM (Special Operations Combat Medic).

but he said if it were up to him there would be no such shindig, as he considers it the equivalent of "graduating" from freshman to sophomore

Congratulations to your son,, and proud Dad..

Sounds like he has the correct 25yd target..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:57   #3
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18XP View Post
This past week Son finished SOCM (Special Operations Combat Medic). I have to say, I'm impressed with the accomplishment. Let's just say fewer finished than started. They are doing a graduation ceremony this week, but he said if it were up to him there would be no such shindig, as he considers it the equivalent of "graduating" from freshman to sophomore. I think he may be selling the accomplishment just a bit short, but as he said, this is just one step. Now he moves on to the Course. Naturally there are no guarantees, but he's off to a good start.

Don't worry, the celebration is mostly for the group of guys that don't continue on to SFMS. He'll appreciate the break next week when he gets to drink from the firehose again!

To give you an idea of attrition my class started about 60 SF candidates (+about 15-20 SOCM only guys). At the end, only 12 guys graduated that went straight through, plus about 5-8 recycle guys. Tell your son to keep his head down in the books and not to lose sight of the finish line. He sounds like he's on the right track!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote