Old 03-07-2015, 21:48   #1
PSM
Area Commander

Camp Hardy question

When I was on Oki in '68-'69, I went to Camp Hardy CTC several times. The guys were tending crops there and my question is why? I saw corn and maybe wheat. Was it for themselves or was it to learn agricultural techniques to teach the locals?

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 14:14   #2
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Camp Hardy.

Capt.Herbert F. Hardy Jr. was a member of C Company 1st SFG(Abn) when the group was located in Machinato Okinawa. He was the CO of Det. A-1/334 Plei Do Lim which was renamed Camp Hardy after the Captain was KIA 03/04/1964. I also think the PX in Pleiku Province was named after he was KIA. One of the Army Hotels Airborne Inn on Ft. Bragg is also named for him.To answer your question The Special Forces Detachment was teaching Agriculture Farming among other things. Tom Kelly Det.A-333 & member of C Company 1stSFG(Abn) 1964-1965
Old 03-12-2015, 14:22   #3
PSM
Area Commander

Thanks, Tom. That's what I thought since the fields were rather large for a "kitchen garden".

Thanks, also, for the background on CPT Hardy.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 03-12-2015, 21:41   #4
PSM
Area Commander

TK,

Checking your info, Plei Do Lim was in Vietnam and Machinato, Okinawa, was on the wrong side of the island. Camp Hardy CTC was south of the Marine's Camp Schwab. My moldy old little black book of contact info from back then shows the CO as LTC Happer(something -- ends in "t" or "h") and SMG Edwards.

ETA: Google search found the CO: LTC Newlin "Eric" Happersett.

Pat

Last edited by PSM; 03-12-2015 at 22:01.
Old 03-28-2015, 14:37   #5
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

C Company 1st SFG(Abn)1SF OKINAWA

The entire 1st Gp. group consisted of 4 Companies and all personnel were quarted in Machinato, across the road from Hgy 1 was the Marine AIRBASE FATIMA. The 1st Group CO from 25 August 1962 to July 1964 was Col. Robert W. Garrett. From August 1964 to June,1966 was Col.Francis J. Kelly. The Gp' SGM was Robert L. Depue who left in April 1964 and was replaced bySGM Howard E. Bostwick. The Company C Commanders were Major Raymond C. Call 28 Nov. 1962 to 3 Feb. 1964 replacing him was Major Elmer E. Monger 4 Feb.1964. Personnel wer rotated TDY to Vietnam for 6 month tours and most of the Teams returned to Okinawa.C Company had a roster of @282 people includung those on TDY to Vietnam. The roster I have was printed up for the Thanksgiving Day Dinner 1964, at the time I think C Company had 3 or 4 A Teams TDY in Vietnam. I was on A-333 in Vietnam on Thanksgiving Day 1964The roster did not list the Team members who were KIA in Vietnam. e.g. William Toth and George Underwood. Also in August 1964 The 5th SFG(Abn) transfered to Vietnam from Bragg & ALL TDY Teams were assigned to the 5th Gp. The orginal 1st Gp TDY Teams returned to Okinawa and the 7th Gp. to Bragg. After 50 years this is the best recall of record that I can recall. Tom Kelly
Old 03-28-2015, 21:43   #6
PSM
Area Commander

I was in the Kadena Aero Club based at Yomitan Airfield north-ish of Fatima. It had the largest fleet of Cessna 150s ever. I doubt that the factory had more on the ramp than Yomitan.

Civilian flying on Oki was impossible. There were so many restricted areas that there were places that you'd have to fly knife-edged through to avoid getting shot down. Plus, the island was too short to get the long cross country flights required for a Private License. Not to mention it took several hours to commute from Camp Schwab, adjacent, to the airfield. I eventually resigned because the effort didn't seem worth it. The bus ride was interesting the first time; not so much after that.

Pat

Old 07-19-2023, 19:09   #7
P36
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
The entire 1st Gp. group consisted of 4 Companies and all personnel were quarted in Machinato, across the road from Hgy 1 was the Marine AIRBASE FATIMA. The 1st Group CO from 25 August 1962 to July 1964 was Col. Robert W. Garrett. From August 1964 to June,1966 was Col.Francis J. Kelly. The Gp' SGM was Robert L. Depue who left in April 1964 and was replaced bySGM Howard E. Bostwick. The Company C Commanders were Major Raymond C. Call 28 Nov. 1962 to 3 Feb. 1964 replacing him was Major Elmer E. Monger 4 Feb.1964. Personnel wer rotated TDY to Vietnam for 6 month tours and most of the Teams returned to Okinawa.C Company had a roster of @282 people includung those on TDY to Vietnam. The roster I have was printed up for the Thanksgiving Day Dinner 1964, at the time I think C Company had 3 or 4 A Teams TDY in Vietnam. I was on A-333 in Vietnam on Thanksgiving Day 1964The roster did not list the Team members who were KIA in Vietnam. e.g. William Toth and George Underwood. Also in August 1964 The 5th SFG(Abn) transfered to Vietnam from Bragg & ALL TDY Teams were assigned to the 5th Gp. The orginal 1st Gp TDY Teams returned to Okinawa and the 7th Gp. to Bragg. After 50 years this is the best recall of record that I can recall. Tom Kelly

Thank you for this information. I will be taking a former 1/1 Vietnam vet back to Okinawa next spring and have been researching the bases/locations that were there at the time. I was assigned to Torii in 84 and 89, so want to help him find the old spots, even though I know everything has changed significantly.
Old 12-26-2023, 14:24   #8
P36
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
Great info! We will be traveling to Oki this spring and taking a former 1SFG member with us from that era. He hasn’t been back since he was there in 64-65 time frame. The names you mentioned are the some names I’ve heard him mention. Although it’s changed significantly since then and from when I was last stationed there in 1998-2000, I’m hoping we can find some familiar spots for him. Anyone know if the current Camp Kinser is where Machinato was?
Old 01-15-2024, 21:52   #9
P36
Guerrilla

Xxxxx

Last edited by P36; 01-15-2024 at 21:54.
P36 is offline   Reply With Quote